rescue a tualatin from the 'BX mod' possible?

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by erik, Oct 14, 2003.

  1. erik

    erik Guest

    Many moons ago i modded a celeron with a tualatin core to run on my
    abit BH6 with the 440BX chipset follwing the method on this page:
    http://digilander.libero.it/grandecigno/Tua_BX_41.htm

    Now sadly the IDE channels on the BH6 seem to be caving in so i need
    to replace the mobo.(spontaneous reboots when traffic goes from IDE1
    to IDE2 channel and vice versa)
    Since this is a server i'd like to spend as little cash as possible,
    and i like it to consume little energy, so i thought sticking with
    the s370 socket and taking the celeron and all the rest to the new
    mobo would be the way to go.
    But... i have no clue what will happen with AN3, AK4 and AJ3 have been
    removed running on the new mobo with the 815E chipset.
    What problems will i run into?...will it run at all?...and if not,
    would it be possible to 'glue' replacement pins on and from what
    material if so.

    Thanks,
    Erik

    erik, Oct 14, 2003

  2. Whatever 815E motherboard you're talking about probably isn't tualatin
    capable either so you'd need the same mods.

    David Maynard, Oct 14, 2003

  3. erik

    chrisrobin Guest

    why not get a promise ata66 or other pci controller and extend the useful
    life of that bx board? proble can pick one up for about 15-20 dollars on
    ebay. I would try that and see if that does the trick. It would be my first
    suggestion before rulling that board out for the count.

    chrisrobin, Oct 14, 2003
  4. If he looks around enough he can get an 815E or VIA motherboard for about
    the same price as the promise controller. Both my mATX 815E (in a book
    sized computer case) and full ATX VIA chaintech mobos were under 20 from
    www.justdeals.com.

    Frankly, I doubt it's really the IDE ports themselves. More likely it's
    either capacitors or some other generic problem on the board that shows up
    during the disk to disk transfer. Might even be one of the disks themselves.

    David Maynard, Oct 15, 2003
  5. erik

    chrisrobin Guest

    your proble right about the problem, i bought a used dual socket 8 board and
    it was rebooting when i ran the sandra filesystem benchmark evertime, I
    thought that the ide controller was going and that was the reason it was
    sold, but i found that it was the memory settings were set too aggressive.
    when i set the setting in bios to auto it solved most problems along with
    some other settings i/o recovery etc. solved the problem.

    chrisrobin, Oct 15, 2003
  6. Yep.

    When I saw the post I also wondered if he's overclocking it but I don't
    remember seeing any details to go by.

    David Maynard, Oct 15, 2003
  7. erik

    erik Guest

    Nope, not overclocking at all anymore , all the mem timings are at
    their slowest.
    Quality PC133 sdram, only running at 100, memtest gives no errors.
    It's just a linux server so i really don't need to squeeze the extra
    drop of perfomance out.
    I thought the Intel 815E B stepping supported the tualatin?

    --

    Which is what i'm looking for if i really have to replace the
    board....an intel chipset micro ATX which supports the tualatin core

    Another reason for wanting to keep the cel1200 is i can underlclock
    it to 800 so it won't need a cpu fan.
    HDs were checked aswell, and moved around, unless i have 3 faulty HDs
    it can't be case.
    Someone else on a forum pointed me to the caps aswell, will check them
    out.

    cheers and thanks

    erik, Oct 15, 2003
  8. erik

    Some Guy Guest

    post back and tell us how low a voltage you can run it stably.

    Some Guy, Oct 16, 2003
  9. Yeah. A B step will natively run tualatins.
    Cheapest native tualatin board I've seen was 50 bucks. The chaintech 6oiv2
    at justdeals.com fits what you describe except it's 815E chipset is not a B
    step, but then you already got a modded tualatin, and was like $19, or so.
    (I made a 'vcr sized' DVR out of one.)
    I can imagine a pretty quiet fan but I'm not so sure you can get to NO fan.
    But I'd love to hear what you come up with.

    Yeah. Well, I didn't really think it was the hard drives either but I still
    find it hard to believe the IDE ports are 'bad'. I mean, there's just not
    hardly enough to them to create that kind of specialized 'only when' error.
    But then, nothing is 'impossible' with these dern things.

    David Maynard, Oct 16, 2003
  10. erik

    erik Guest

    Alrighty...Checked the caps, as far as i can tell none of the caps on
    the board are bulging or have cracks.
    As for the underclock voltage, the bios won't let me go lower than 1.3
    It's now it's at 800mhz 12x66 at 1.3v.
    Disconnected the fan and ran cpuburn (burnP6) for 30 minutes and the
    block got rather hot. I could keep my finger on it permanently but too
    hot for my liking . I doubt it was near the max temp(70C is maxi
    think) and i got no errors during the process but i don't wanna risk
    it.
    So so i reconned the fan running at 7v, 2 hours of burnP6 without
    errors and 6 hours of burnBX also without probs.

    I think i'll go with a sep. raid card anyways, a new mobo would make a
    lot more sense but for some silly reason i want this board to keep on
    going. BH6, surely the longest i've ever done with a board.

    You running the DVR with hardware mpeg encoding or software only?

    cheers

    erik, Oct 16, 2003
  11. Sounds good.
    I think it depends on what I'm using. I would expect that the ATI
    Multimedia Panel Apps are using the ATI card's MPEG decoder but it judders
    on the TV display and TV movies have a noticeable jerky movement, which
    looks like dropped frames (a sync issue I think). Plus the ATI stuff has
    definite WinXP issues, like the video freezes, and their 'solutions' would
    make Rube Goldberg proud (e.g. "some people report that changing color
    depth sometimes helps. Try that.").

    So I'm using third party apps along with (freeware) descaler, which looks
    to me to be purely software. On the other hand, it works great; which is a
    heck of a lot more than I can say for the ATI stuff.

    David Maynard, Oct 16, 2003