    on?

    Thanks,
    AC

    Aawara Chowdhury, Jul 21, 2007

  2. You can run Migration Assistant in /Applications/Utilities at any time.

    Alternatively if you want to rerun the first-boot setup you need to
    delete the invisible file /private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone. From a
    Terminal command prompt:

    sudo rm /private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone

    Roger Johnstone, Jul 21, 2007

  3. Or do an erase and install.

    Michelle Steiner, Jul 21, 2007
  4. Aawara Chowdhury

    The Mac Dude Guest

    Having done this step recently I found that the extant user accounts
    remain (the one extant one anyway). However, the account you create on
    the subsequent turn-on will become the new default account on startup.

    I don't know what happens in a name conflict situation (i.e. the new one
    you make has the same name as an old one).

    As always:backup twice, lose nothing!

    Mac Dude

    The Mac Dude, Jul 21, 2007
  5. I just tried it.

    "The name you entered cannot be used. Please check the highlighted field
    and choose a different short name."
    Very good advice.

    I came across .AppleSetupDone here
    <http://www.tuaw.com/2005/10/04/get-the-out-of-the-box-experience-with-
    an-older-mac/>

    The reader comments on that page also give a method of deleting the last
    administrator account. This is very useful if you want to set up a Mac
    for someone else. You can do a clean install of the OS, install all the
    updates, then remove the admin account. When it's next turned on you'll
    get the setup assistant and no other user accounts, just as if it were a
    new Mac, but with an up-to-date OS.

    Start up in single-user mode (Command+S) and mount the volume as a
    readable volume (using the instructions at the prompt).

    Then type the following, where <admin> is the name of the
    administrator's account:

    nicl -raw /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb delete /users/<admin>
    rm -r /Users/<admin>
    rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

    Roger Johnstone, Jul 21, 2007
  6. Aawara Chowdhury

    Warren Oates Guest

    If you read the man page for asr, down where it begins "How to use asr,"
    you'll learn some interesting stuff.

    Warren Oates, Jul 21, 2007
  7. In <>,
    I tried this already. It doesn't work if the account that I want to
    copy over from my iBook is filevault-protected.
    This worked like a charm. The filevault-protected account copied
    over just fine.

    Thank you, Mr. Roger Johnstone!

    AC

    Aawara Chowdhury, Jul 21, 2007
  8. That's what I meant by "re-install the operating system". ; )[/QUOTE]

    But not in the message I replied to. Further "reinstall" could be done
    by archiving and installing, and that wouldn't accomplish the desired
    goal.

    Michelle Steiner, Jul 21, 2007