    one help me, or direct me to possible solutions to my problem:

    1. Why is my computer restarting for no apparent reason?
    2. Why can't I get my DVD player to work?

    Joker, Apr 6, 2005

  2. A few things to check.

    Power supply. Be sure it is producing enough clean power. The addition of
    the DVD could be over stressing it.
    Fans. Check all the fans including the CPU fan.
    Check your RAM. If you have two sticks of RAM try each one by itself. If
    one doesn't work then you found your answer. If they both work look at the
    fans and power supply.

    I doubt it is a driver or antivirus issue.

    QQ

    Quintillionth Quaff, Apr 7, 2005

  3. Joker

    Joker Guest

    QQ> A few things to check.

    QQ> Power supply. Be sure it is producing enough clean power. The
    QQ> addition of
    QQ> the DVD could be over stressing it.
    QQ> Fans. Check all the fans including the CPU fan.
    QQ> Check your RAM. If you have two sticks of RAM try each one by
    QQ> itself. If
    QQ> one doesn't work then you found your answer. If they both work look
    QQ> at the
    QQ> fans and power supply.

    QQ> I doubt it is a driver or antivirus issue.

    QQ> QQ

    How do you check the power supply and fans? Do you need special equipment?
    Like I said, the thing ran fine and then just crapped out. I have unplugged
    it and tried to restore and the same thing happened. I am beginning to
    suspect the anti-virus software.

    Joker, Apr 7, 2005
  4. Joker

    tom hunt Guest

    It worked fine before it quit. Do you realize how dumb that statement
    is? Man the assholes they allow to own computers.

    tom

    tom hunt, Apr 7, 2005
  5. Joker

    Joker Guest

    I did not realize they allowed mental patients access to computers. You
    should be aware however that they are probably monitoring your activity and
    now you'll have to address this with your therapist. Jackass.

    th> It worked fine before it quit. Do you realize how dumb that
    th> statement
    th> is? Man the assholes they allow to own computers.

    th> tom

    Joker, Apr 7, 2005
  6. Joker, don't mind idiots like t. hunt.
    Anyway, you didn't mention what AOpen mainboard you have. I have the
    AK77-600 Max and in the BIOS under Silent PC/PC Health you will find voltage
    readings that the mainboard is detecting from the power supply. Compare the
    voltage from what the specs from the power supply state. If the difference
    is more than say 15% either way you most likely have a faulty power supply.
    As power supplies age and are stressed they loose the ability to maintain
    are meet their rated specs.

    You can visually observe the fans by opening up the case. If a fan is not
    spinning it is defective and needs to be replaced. Some AOpen mainboards
    will shut down or randomly restart when overheated. No rhythm or reason to
    when the restart or shut down happens.

    Don't forget to check the RAM also like I posted previously. If all these
    fail, I can't help with the limited info you provided. Again I don't think
    you have a driver problem.

    QQ

    Quintillionth Quaff, Apr 7, 2005
  7. Joker

    tom hunt Guest

    Any number of hardware faults can cause the power supply to give poor
    regulation, a short in the motherboard for instance. But hey just
    replace it and when that doesn't work replaced something else.
    This is nonsense. There is a reason for shutdown, this nitwit can't
    figure it out so he makes an asinine statement about no rhythm or reason.
    And oh yeah, if following my advice doesn't work it's because you
    provided limited info. lol .

    Follow this twits advice and you'll be up and running in no time. The
    guys that post fixes here sometimes are just clueless when it comes to
    trouble shooting electronic equipment. I wouldn't trust this guy to
    change the batteries in my flashlight. There are several problems that
    could cause a fan not to spin, follow this idiots advice and you will
    get it working, you might have to replace your entire system, but you
    will get it working.

    tom

    tom hunt, Apr 7, 2005
  8. Joker

    News Guest

    But your recommendations are so helpful.

    News, Apr 8, 2005
  9. Joker

    News Guest

    I am not using an Aopen main board, just a dvd player. My main board is a
    phoenix and I can not find voltage information.

    News, Apr 8, 2005