    she goes to www.windowsupdate.com to get the latest (1000+) updates, would
    activation work ? Or would their server say " this copy not licensed" ?
    Have they disabled licensing for old OS'es ?

    - Bobb -, Apr 22, 2009

  2. - Bobb -

    Baron Guest

    - Bobb - Inscribed thus:

    > A friend (in another state) had an old A series ThinkPad with Win2000
    > on it and no labels on exterior of PC.
    > It died and I volunteered to fix it. Easy enough - the HDD was bad.
    > She has no restore CD. Cut to the question:
    > how does licensing work these days on Windows 2000 ?
    > If she DID buy a legit copy of Win2k SP4 on eBay , and installed it,
    > when she goes to www.windowsupdate.com to get the latest (1000+)
    > updates, would activation work ? Or would their server say " this copy
    > not licensed" ? Have they disabled licensing for old OS'es ?

    Why not try a Linux distribution on it ! Start with a Live CD and go
    from there. As far as Wins is concerned I wouldn't waste my money.

    --
    Best Reagrds:
    Baron.

    Baron, Apr 23, 2009

  3. "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
    >A friend (in another state) had an old A series ThinkPad with Win2000 on it
    >and no labels on exterior of PC.
    > It died and I volunteered to fix it. Easy enough - the HDD was bad.
    > She has no restore CD. Cut to the question:
    > how does licensing work these days on Windows 2000 ?
    > If she DID buy a legit copy of Win2k SP4 on eBay , and installed it, when
    > she goes to www.windowsupdate.com to get the latest (1000+) updates, would
    > activation work ? Or would their server say " this copy not licensed" ?
    > Have they disabled licensing for old OS'es ?

    Windows 2000 never did require connection to Microsoft to be "authorized."
    If there is a valid CD-key, it will install.

    Ballroom Dancer, Apr 23, 2009
  4. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Ballroom Dancer" <> wrote in message

    >>A friend (in another state) had an old A series ThinkPad with Win2000 on
    >>it and no labels on exterior of PC.
    >> It died and I volunteered to fix it. Easy enough - the HDD was bad.
    >> She has no restore CD. Cut to the question:
    >> how does licensing work these days on Windows 2000 ?
    >> If she DID buy a legit copy of Win2k SP4 on eBay , and installed it, when
    >> she goes to www.windowsupdate.com to get the latest (1000+) updates,
    >> would activation work ? Or would their server say " this copy not
    >> licensed" ?
    >> Have they disabled licensing for old OS'es ?
    >>

    > Windows 2000 never did require connection to Microsoft to be "authorized."
    > If there is a valid CD-key, it will install.

    but will it then work at www.windowsupdate.com ? I sent PC back to her.
    She's looking to buy a CD. Since her install will probably be dated ~2001,
    I'd like her to then fetch the latest Firefox, java etc.as well as (I'm
    guessing) 1000+ win2k, IE, WMP ... updates ! THAT's where I thought msft
    would say " bad s/n" or "too old to run install verification " etc . No ?
    Will it update OK from 8 yr old Win2000 SP1 CD for example ? Even if CD had
    been used on someone else's PC before ? ( she'll be buying online from
    someone claiming "new / never used CD...")
    They are not computer savvy so it's got to be a simple process to update. I
    can't have her loading firefox, then email , then browser etc - they have NO
    CLUE about that stuff. BUT if win2k could update verything from website (
    after 20 or so reboots) they could handle that.
    Thanks

    - Bobb -, Apr 23, 2009
  5. Ralph A. Schmid, dk5ras, Apr 23, 2009
  6. - Bobb -

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <gsq1k3$4co$>, - Bobb -
    <bobb@noemail.123> scribeth thus

    >"Ballroom Dancer" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
    >>>A friend (in another state) had an old A series ThinkPad with Win2000 on
    >>>it and no labels on exterior of PC.
    >>> It died and I volunteered to fix it. Easy enough - the HDD was bad.
    >>> She has no restore CD. Cut to the question:
    >>> how does licensing work these days on Windows 2000 ?
    >>> If she DID buy a legit copy of Win2k SP4 on eBay , and installed it, when
    >>> she goes to www.windowsupdate.com to get the latest (1000+) updates,
    >>> would activation work ? Or would their server say " this copy not
    >>> licensed" ?
    >>> Have they disabled licensing for old OS'es ?
    >>>

    >> Windows 2000 never did require connection to Microsoft to be "authorized."
    >> If there is a valid CD-key, it will install.
    >>

    >but will it then work at www.windowsupdate.com ? I sent PC back to her.
    >She's looking to buy a CD. Since her install will probably be dated ~2001,
    >I'd like her to then fetch the latest Firefox, java etc.as well as (I'm
    >guessing) 1000+ win2k, IE, WMP ... updates ! THAT's where I thought msft
    >would say " bad s/n" or "too old to run install verification " etc . No ?
    >Will it update OK from 8 yr old Win2000 SP1 CD for example ? Even if CD had
    >been used on someone else's PC before ? ( she'll be buying online from
    >someone claiming "new / never used CD...")
    >They are not computer savvy so it's got to be a simple process to update. I
    >can't have her loading firefox, then email , then browser etc - they have NO
    >CLUE about that stuff. BUT if win2k could update verything from website (
    >after 20 or so reboots) they could handle that.
    >Thanks

    AFAIK Windows 2K will update, just search out Service pack 4 (SP4) on
    the Microsoft website..

    Its Here...

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=DC27B8C6-2A5A-
    4399-AD3D-4A97A25F41D9&displaylang=en
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Apr 23, 2009
  7. - Bobb -

    CBFalconer Guest

    Baron wrote:
    > - Bobb - Inscribed thus:
    >
    >> A friend (in another state) had an old A series ThinkPad with
    >> Win2000 on it and no labels on exterior of PC. It died and I
    >> volunteered to fix it. Easy enough - the HDD was bad. She has
    >> no restore CD. Cut to the question:
    >>
    >> how does licensing work these days on Windows 2000 ? If she
    >> DID buy a legit copy of Win2k SP4 on eBay , and installed it,
    >> when she goes to www.windowsupdate.com to get the latest
    >> (1000+) updates, would activation work ? Or would their server
    >> say " this copy not licensed" ? Have they disabled licensing
    >> for old OS'es ?

    > Why not try a Linux distribution on it ! Start with a Live CD
    > and go from there. As far as Wins is concerned I wouldn't
    > waste my money.

    Agree. I suggest trying Ubuntu, and pick the LTS (long term
    service) versions. The latest is Ubuntu 8.04 (but not Kubuntu
    8.04). The numbers are year/month released. They will be
    supported for from 3 to 5 years.

    Try the download section.

    CBFalconer, Apr 24, 2009
  8. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    I'll send the info along
    Thanks to all

    - Bobb -, Apr 25, 2009
  9. "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message

    > "Ballroom Dancer" <> wrote in message
    >>

    > but will it then work at www.windowsupdate.com ? I sent PC back to her.
    > She's looking to buy a CD. Since her install will probably be dated
    > ~2001, I'd like her to then fetch the latest Firefox, java etc.as well
    > as (I'm guessing) 1000+ win2k, IE, WMP ... updates ! THAT's where I
    > thought msft would say " bad s/n" or "too old to run install verification
    > " etc . No ? Will it update OK from 8 yr old Win2000 SP1 CD for example ?
    > Even if CD had been used on someone else's PC before ? ( she'll be buying
    > online from someone claiming "new / never used CD...")
    > They are not computer savvy so it's got to be a simple process to update.
    > I can't have her loading firefox, then email , then browser etc - they
    > have NO CLUE about that stuff. BUT if win2k could update verything from
    > website ( after 20 or so reboots) they could handle that.
    > Thanks

    Microsoft's update is not going to install such non-Microsoft programs as
    Firefox. However, I replaced a HD in an older computer about 3 weeks ago,
    installed from the Windows 2000 Professional CD with the CD key; Windows
    Update then updated itself, and several reboots later, the computer was
    fully up to date. Note that updates for W2000 will soon be like W98 - no
    more new ones. It was necessary to update from SP1 to SP3 (I think, I still
    had SP4 and used it) before Windows Update would work, it also protested
    about the old version of IE. I updated IE to version 6 (newer versions will
    not work on W2000), then all else went well.

    If someone is doing this that is not computer savvy, you will probably have
    to write them a sequence. I would suggest: Install 2K from the original CD,
    get that working. I suspect that the ThinkPad will at least work for basic
    functionality, though some IBM drivers may be needed also - not covered in
    this. After W2000 install, download and install SP4. Next, download and
    install IE6. Then open up Windows Update and start that process.

    Ballroom Dancer, Apr 25, 2009
  10. "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message

    BTW - I see several posts suggesting various versions of Linux. If the
    machine belongs to a complete computer novice, I'd install Windows 2000. Not
    knocking Linux, most of the newer versions install very well - but the first
    time some of the multitude of config files gets something wrong - the person
    will not have a clue. They may also not find any local shops that will be
    able to get it going. There is more likelihood of a local shop that can fix
    Windows problems. If they have a local friend that is a Linux guur, that is
    another matter.

    Ballroom Dancer, Apr 25, 2009
  11. - Bobb -

    >> but will it then work at www.windowsupdate.com ? I sent PC back to her.
    >> She's looking to buy a CD. Since her install will probably be dated
    >> ~2001, I'd like her to then fetch the latest win2k, IE, WMP ... updates
    >> ! THAT's where I thought msft would say " bad s/n" or "too old to run
    >> install verification " etc . No ? Will it update OK from 8 yr old Win2000
    >> SP1 CD for example ? Even if CD had been used on someone else's PC before
    >> ? ( she'll be buying online from someone claiming "new / never used
    >> CD...")
    >>

    > I replaced a HD in an older computer about 3 weeks ago, installed from the
    > Windows 2000 Professional CD with the CD key; Windows Update then updated
    > itself, and several reboots later, the computer was fully up to date. It
    > was necessary to update from SP1 to SP3 (I think, I
    > still had SP4 and used it) before Windows Update would work, it also
    > protested about the old version of IE. I updated IE to version 6 (newer
    > versions will not work on W2000), then all else went well.

    Recap:
    Her disk had bad spot. I got it fixed and started Win2000 SP1 install. After
    first reboot ( when it asks for language, kb type etc) I stopped and she was
    going to use her restore CD. I sent PC back to her. Well, she has no restore
    CD.

    NOW:
    I can send her W2k SP1 Cd that I used, have her continue - THEN update to
    SP4,
    BUT
    can I send her W2k SP4 CD and have it just continue OK? Or would she have to
    reboot/restart install with SP4 CD in there ?
    ( just trying to save her from starting from scratch but forget which files
    are used already/different on SP1 vs SP4)

    Either way - I'm done with it after that !
    Thanks for the advice.

    - Bobb -, Apr 30, 2009
  12. "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message

    (snip)
    > NOW:
    > I can send her W2k SP1 Cd that I used, have her continue - THEN update to
    > SP4,
    > BUT
    > can I send her W2k SP4 CD and have it just continue OK? Or would she have
    > to reboot/restart install with SP4 CD in there ?
    > ( just trying to save her from starting from scratch but forget which
    > files are used already/different on SP1 vs SP4)
    >
    > Either way - I'm done with it after that !
    > Thanks for the advice.

    I don't know exactly what files are changed by SP4, but there are a bunch of
    them. If it was me, I would continue with the original SP1 install, get
    Windows 2000 running, then update to SP4. Otherwise, I would expect
    possibility of mixed versions causing problems.
    Jim

    Ballroom Dancer, May 1, 2009