    elsewhere. Is there any other way to clean it up from my Backpack
    drive or another way? Thanks. Please email me as I may not find my
    way back here.

    Neil, Aug 27, 2003

  2. The usual fixes are to copy the recovery software to the hard drive
    on a partition and run it from there, or use a boot-disk and network
    card to copy the information. You can't use your USB drive for it, as
    the BIOS won't recognize it on boot.
    Emanuel

    Emanuel Brown, Aug 28, 2003

  3. Neil

    David Chien Guest

    Dig around the recover CD itself to see if there's any manual
    config.sys and autoexec.bat and other batch files you can figure out.
    In the older 505 series, you can actually do a manually initiated
    restore of the HD without regards to what the discs would normally want.

    Also, see if you can get the backpack cd drive running under dos
    (check yahoo.com for DOS USB drivers - search "Ghost USB Dos driver" and
    you should find them.) If you can, you may be able to initiate the
    manual restore from the CD drive without buying the Sony drive.

    otherwise, check www.ebay.com for cheap drives or simply install
    Windows from your own CD disc after wiping the HD (key here is to format
    c: /u/s first, then copy the entire /win98 /winxp etc. install directory
    from the CD to the drive, then run the windows setup from that HD
    directory to install windows).

    check out the sony groups in groups.yahoo.com (search sony) and ask
    the members there if anyone's in your area.

    David Chien, Aug 28, 2003
  4. Neil

    Neil Guest

    I emailed Emanuel listed above, and here's what he told me: load the
    cd's to drive D, use Rawrite.exe to expand the image file for the
    batch files (it's the 1.42 meg image file on CD #1, and load all the
    CD's into the root directory. The batch files will create the folders
    and do the job. I did not do this as it is an ordeal, but keep in
    mind, my laptop is working fine. I only wanted to clean it off, but
    will not do so until I have to. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    Thanks Emanuel!

    Neil, Sep 1, 2003