Restoring "deleted user" account with same name??

Discussion in 'Apple' started by hans.taktmann, Jun 26, 2007.

  1. Hi,

    I'm asking on behalf of a friend who is in deep trouble.
    On her old iBook she deleted her most important user account, say, of
    the name "foo"; later, she re-created an account with the very same
    name "foo".
    The result: there is no .dmg-file in the folder /deleted users/foo.

    Is there any hope left?
    As far as I understand the regular procedure of restoring a deleted
    user account('s data) requires that the .dmg-file in the "deleted
    users" still exists
    (cf. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh2316.html).

    The thing is, that, apparently, the usage of the harddisk of the iBook
    hasnt changed much yet, ie: some very large mp3-files associated with
    the deleted user-account seem still to be somewhere, though not
    visible, let alone searchable by Spotlight.

    Any help or hint would be highly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Hans

    hans.taktmann, Jun 26, 2007

  2. hans.taktmann

    Doctor J Guest

    It seems you wouldn't be able to restore the user account.

    However, since you're running Tiger, you might be able to find files.
    Opening a finder window and click into the search box and type in
    mp3. It should be able to find files. I haven't looked in a deleted
    user account (don't have any on mine), but it's worth a shot.

    Doctor J, Jun 26, 2007