    Don't want to expend lot of money or effort as I was thinking new pc
    next year. Also open for suggestions on that.

    Frank

    Frank.Logullo, Dec 2, 2012

  2. Frank.Logullo

    BillW50 Guest

    Hi Frank! You don't have to purchase any backup software. There are
    plenty of free ones that work just as good as the expensive ones. I
    know, I have both. And no need to wipe that hard drive if you don't want
    too.

    Yes you need some sort of backup drive. While external USB drives are
    much slower than internal drives, external ones are easy to remove from
    the system once you are done. Which is generally a good idea to keep it
    isolated when it isn't needed.

    My favorite backup method is disk cloning. What is nice is that you can
    always pop the clone in when you need it. So you can be up and running
    in seconds. Although of you want more than one backup copy, you need
    more clone drives. But this is the safest of all backups.

    What most do is to use a larger external (or second drive) and keep
    multiple backups there. I don't like this method myself, because if that
    one drive goes, all backups are gone except for the original drive in
    your machine.

    Your machine came with Vista right?

    XXClone (free version) is my favorite cloning utility. Must be ran from
    a working Windows though. So it is useless if Windows can't run.

    Paragon is just as good as Acronis True Image and sometimes better. I
    have both. Used both many times. And Paragon also has free versions that
    are also very good. And there are many other wonderful ones out there too.

    BillW50, Dec 3, 2012

  3. Thanks for response. Yes I have Vista but Windows won't run so I can't
    get these programs or run them.
    I have a new backup drive that I was going to use in a couple of months
    after I give up Carbonite. Right now, thankful for Carbonite as I'm
    getting files I need to work on. Giving up Carbonite as it costs twice
    as much to backup whole computer and seems to slow things down. Took
    nearly a day to up load my files when I first bought it.

    Frank.Logullo, Dec 3, 2012
  4. Frank.Logullo

    Frank Guest

    I'm putting machine in Frank Jr.s hands.
    Was hoping for a simpler solution but need to give him the machine and
    he expects a couple of hours work over several days. He's done this for
    Mom a couple of times. At least it won't cost me. Best Buy would have
    taken it for diagnosis and repair but I did not want to spend a couple
    of hundred dollars on a 6 year old machine when a new one costs ~$500.

    Frank, Dec 4, 2012
  5. Frank.Logullo

    Guest

    I have used a free software before. It can do backup and restore excellently. That is AOMEI Data Backuper. Moreover, it also can do disk/partition clone as well. You can know more about it by reading this article. http://www.aomeitech.com/res/backup/best-and-free-backup-software-for-windows-7.html?id=hmm

    , Dec 15, 2012
  6. Frank.Logullo

    Frank Guest

    Thanks. Mentioned in other thread that son wiped machine and replaced
    OS with Linux. He had recovered Vista but Windows updates slowed it to
    a crawl. Having wifi connection problem, I put it aside and just bought
    a new GW. Hard to tell what recovery systems are in place.

    Frank, Dec 15, 2012
  7. Frank.Logullo

    BillW50 Guest

    In Frank typed:
    Different strokes I guess. I am hooked on the year 2006 for computers. I
    have 16 of them from that year alone. What is nice about them is the
    better ones comes with dual core CPUs, and supports 64 bit, 4GB or more
    memory, has XP drivers, can run XP through Windows 8, etc.

    Heck I just bought two new Dell Latitude ST machines. And they are
    terrible! As they are so slow you can't even play most youtube videos on
    them. I am so sorry I bought them now. I can't believe Dell would even
    sell these thinking people would be happy with them. :-(

    BillW50, Dec 29, 2012
  8. Frank.Logullo

    Frank Guest

    My new GW is great. Came with 6 gigs memory with potential upgrade to
    32, 64 bit and terabyte HD which I will never fill. It is also very
    fast and extremely quiet. Very fast in loading. With my old Vista
    machine, I'd be playing games for 5 minutes while it fully loaded. Now
    it is ready to go in maybe 15 seconds.

    Cannot say I am real happy with Win 8 which is more designed for phones
    and touch screens. High learning curve to get it to operate on my
    desktop like I want. For example picture viewer and pdf viewer are what
    you might expect on a phone and only view with no file manipulation.
    You have to default to desktop programs. Classical card games are not
    there and must be downloaded as aps - also a PITA.

    Might also mention that the Carbonite backup was disappointing as it did
    not back up my music, videos or Thunderbird profile. I was ditching it
    anyway for a portable HD as it seemed to slow down machine, sometimes
    not allowing it to be shut down. It did save all my important business
    documents and photos.

    Frank, Jan 1, 2013
  9. Frank.Logullo

    BillW50 Guest

    In Frank typed:
    Ah yes... Windows 64 bit. Just amazing support for gobs of RAM. Although
    the big tradeoff is you can only use 64 bit drivers, some 32 bit
    programs won't run, and no 16 bit programs will run at all. If you can
    live with this, all should be fine. ;-)

    Ah Windows 8... yes I have been running it here since March of last year
    on a non-touch screen. I only recently started playing (in the last
    month) with it on a touch screen tablet. And it doesn't matter much to
    me whether I use 8 on a touch screen or not. As you can do everything
    well with a mouse and keyboard too. The cool thing about touch is
    scrolling and zooming. But you don't need touch for that either.

    Sorry about Carbonite... Kim Komando talks highly of it all of the time.
    Although it is also one of her sponsors.

    BillW50, Jan 2, 2013
  10. Frank.Logullo

    Frank Guest

    Have yet to have any programing problems.

    Carbonite had sponsored Limbaugh which is where I heard about it.

    He and Kommando are Apple people and probably just use the icloud
    themselves.

    Frank, Jan 3, 2013