    the original partition?
    I had an idea of using the partition from my A31p but I'm not sure if
    this will work well as its not the same machine

    dmdsafe, Oct 6, 2007

  2. dmdsafe

    George Guest

    I suspect you mean the restore partition. You need to build the restore
    disks, probably impossible at this stage but try. If not you can
    purchase them from Lenovo for about $US-50 or borrow same. And then do a
    complete restore? Not sure, but in any event BACKUP anything you need.

    I am not a Windows user, formerly OS/2 now Linux exclusively.

    George, Oct 7, 2007

  3. dmdsafe

    none Guest

    George, you said in your post you use Linux exclusively. Was wondering
    if you could provide some help.

    I've had an interest in getting to know Linux for some time. Have had
    ZERO experience with it. Could you recommend a Linux package for a new
    user who has no knowledge of it? hopefully it would be something with a
    few apps to get going too, like an internet browser.

    Would like to install it on a laptop with a Windows multiboot setup and
    not have the boot partition (managed by M$) schnockered (what a PROBLEM
    to restore it)!

    TIA
    ___

    none, Oct 7, 2007
  4. dmdsafe

    Ben Myers Guest

    I'm not George, but I can suggest buying another hard drive and downloading the
    latest Ubuntu ISO image. Create a bootable CD from the ISO image, then install
    on the other hard drive. That way, you won't have a problem running Windows
    when you need to do so.

    Ubuntu includes the Firefox browser, OpenOffice, and GIMP, a graphics package
    with most of the same capabilities as PhotoShop.

    You can also download an Ubuntu Live ISO, which, when made into a bootable CD,
    allows you to run Linux direct from the CD without touching the Windows stuff on
    the hard drive... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 7, 2007
  5. dmdsafe

    dmdsafe Guest

    If i create these restore disks from my other friends T43 will it
    replace the partition back onto my hard drive?

    dmdsafe, Oct 7, 2007
  6. dmdsafe

    George Guest

    Sorry, I have not tried it, just used it to restore XP, and this took
    three attempts as it required a partition of 10GB (wanted the rest for
    three Linux environments and data and backup of same.

    I am extremely wary of any of this restore disks as information is
    incomplete and geared entirely for MS users who are ignorant of
    computers, thus dangerous to us who want a computer to do what we want.

    George, Oct 7, 2007
  7. dmdsafe

    George Guest

    I agree, running from an USB-HD or a HD/DVD in CD/DVD bay works well, I
    did this as an experiment.
    Ubuntu and Suse work well on my T42 using dual boot on main HD, Debian
    definitely anywhere but may difficuly for the average person to set it
    up for a USB-HD but easier on HD in DVD bay.

    Should you install Linux on main HD, BACKUP, BACKUP. BACKUP. You
    should do this anyway since MS bombs much more often than Linux.

    Live CD/DVD's are great, always try this first.

    George, Oct 8, 2007
  8. dmdsafe

    Ben Myers Guest

    Actually, I would suggest another hard drive with caddy for mounting inside the
    computer chassis. Eliminates the need to back up Windows. Probably less
    expensive than an external USB drive of the same capacity, too... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 8, 2007