Retrospect performs "duplicate" duplicate backups?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by TaliesinSoft, Jun 28, 2004.

  1. TaliesinSoft

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    Here's is a problem which has been plaguing me for a number of months.

    I am using Retrospect 6.0.193 running under OS-X 10.3.4. To knowledge both
    Retrospect and OS-X have had the very latest updates installed.

    I boot off of an external firewire drive which I've named "Maxtor Silver." I
    backup onto a second external firewire drive which I've named "Maxtor Blue,"
    and this drive has five partitiions named "Maxtor Blue (Monday)," "Maxtor
    Blue (Tuesday)," and so on. I generally unmount the internal drive upon
    completion of the booting, but there are times I forget to do this.

    I have five essentially identical scripts, one for each of the five weekdays
    Monday through Friday. The scripts are identical except for the day of the
    week they are scheduled to run and the target volume which receives the
    backup, The scripts are configured to run at 1:00 a.m. each weeknight,
    performing a so-called duplicate backup to the appropriate Maxtor Blue
    volume.

    What is happening, but not all the time and not to any pattern I have been
    able to discern, is that two overlapping backup runs occur. Whether or not
    the internal drive is still mounted appears to have no relationship to the
    occurrence of these overlapping backup runs. On the occasions when the
    overlapping runs occur (and when I happen to be present at the time of
    launching of Retrospect) there are sometimes two Retrospect icons in the dock
    and sometimes just a single Retrospect icon.

    Other than there being a significant increase in the elapsed time of the
    backup run I haven't detected any problems with the resulting backups, but
    I'll admit to having suspicions.

    I've posted a couple of screenshot collections at

    <http://homepage.mac.com/taliesinsoft/>

    These screenshots show such as the Activity Monitor information regarding the
    concurrent Retrospect tasks.

    I've posted this information on a Dantz Retrospect email list and so far the
    only response of note has been the statements from two other persons that
    they too are experiencing the same problem.

    I'm wondering if there are others out there (readers of these newsgroups)
    that, too, are experiencing this so-called "duplicate-duplicate backup"
    problem.

    Many thanks in advance for comments, replies, suggestions, and such.

    -- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft

    "My dog never came across a bush he didn't like!"

    TaliesinSoft, Jun 28, 2004