Return of the VIA-SBLive Crackling Curse

Discussion in 'Soundblaster Live' started by S.P. Goodman, Oct 12, 2004.

  1. S.P. Goodman

    S.P. Goodman Guest

    AMD Duron 800, 256MB SDRAM, Asus A7VPro w/VIA chipset, Win2000 Pro, SBLive
    (MP3+, though it's seen as a "value"), two IDE HDs (both on channel 0,
    master/slave), Lite-On LTR-32125W CDRW (channel 1, cable select).

    I have recently upgraded the NIC in the system from an old 3C509 Combo to a
    new 3Com 3C590, so to get the obvious benefits of 100Mb/s, and a four-port
    Firewire card (TI OHCI-compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller).

    In the process of upgrading the NIC I encountered "shadow" devices'
    installations left over from previous removals/uninstallations (View Hidden
    Devices), which obfuscated the NIC's access to the net. These have been
    uninstalled without trouble, at which point the NIC was fully functional.
    Before I'd discovered the View Hidden Devices method, though, there was a
    good amount of card switching slots-wise. End result has everything running
    apparently fine - with the exception of crackling, which has returned to
    this PC after four years.

    Previous to the Lite-On CDRW the CDRW was a SCSI-based Yamaha 4416s - the
    Adaptec SCSI card was a pain in the tail to configure AND keep it out of the
    way of other devices, but I *did* get it to eventually behave. Mind you I
    lived in fear and loathing of any hardware changes while the SCSI element
    was present, and the speed of the new unit was also a joy. So I figured
    with the SCSI card gone it'd be a breeze.

    Not so. I've gotten ALL the Creative drivers/programs reinstalled and
    updated, and still problems with the crackling. I find it's worse when disk
    access is occurring, and even worse when it's a WAV and not an MP3 playing.
    For instance I'll be playing an MP3 with no crackling, then start reading
    the hard drive - and the pops begin. I've updated all the VIA programs, AND
    set the latency to everything from 0 to 32, no change.

    Suggestions beyond playing musical card slots? Thanks.

    S.P. Goodman, Oct 12, 2004

  2. I've had that problem in the past and uninstalled and reinstalled drivers
    and card to no avail, then I clicked on the Restore Defaults link in the
    Creative Program group and hey presto , crackles gone.

    Might work, worth a try.

    Paul Woodsford, Oct 14, 2004

  3. S.P. Goodman

    S.P. Goodman Guest

    Alas, no. I must admit that in all me years of using SB's I've never needed
    to do this. No prompt to reboot. Hm. Let's see.

    (after rebooting)

    Nah, no difference. If I begin more than cursory activity on either IDE
    drive, it's cracks and pops, no pattern or rhythm, same with mp3's or audio
    cd's.

    <rant>
    Ugh! Bloody PnP. I wish Win 2000 would allow one to manually set the IRQs
    as IRQ 9 is presently shared by the SBLive, ACPI-Compliant System, my ATI
    All-in-Wonder 128 Pro (AGP), both USB host controllers, a PCI Firewire card,
    and my 3Com NIC. With IRQs 5, 7, 10 and 11 open it's really overkill, isn't
    it? Who the heck changes their video card as often as they change their
    socks? Some of you out there should probably not answer that one. :)
    </rant>

    Anyway, all the above devices' settings are greyed out and unchangeable, and
    I'm admin-creator of the @#% thing. Thanks for persevering though. What's
    really annoying about this is that I remember everyone else having this
    problem back in 2000, and while I too experienced the dreaded popping, it
    was then resolved in most cases with a VIA drivers update. Not so this
    time. Any other tips?

    S.P. Goodman, Oct 15, 2004
  4. S.P. Goodman

    Lenny Guest

    Your mobo may need a bios flash and/or updated chipset drivers, hardware
    bugs in the PCI bridge of certain VIA chipsets interact with borderline
    behavior by the ET10k1 chip on at least some revision SBLives.. You said you
    had VIA? If so, download the latest hyperion driver pack from their site
    (viaarena.com I think, or else just via.com) for the latter..

    Also, have you changed anything in your bios setup recently? It may be worth
    restoring defaults there too just to be sure.
    Why would you want to do that? :eek: Fiddling with IRQs is just pointless,
    better to let PNP deal with that mess.
    Why? :)

    Lenny, Oct 15, 2004
  5. S.P. Goodman

    S.P. Goodman Guest

    Yep. First thing I did was the new VIA Hyperion (aka All-in-One) update.
    All I did was swap a 10Mb/s for a 100Mb/s one. The addition of a IEEE 1394
    (firewire) card brought no change.
    One doesn't "fiddle" with IRQs. One sets them, and then no fiddling
    necessary. And no crackling either!
    IRQ spaces were put there to be used so that the OS wouldn't be weighed down
    by having to perform that same management. PnP puts just about everything
    on IRQ 9 and one has to wonder why anyone would want to manage the IRQ
    sharing of five or more devices when the same number of IRQs are available
    for assignment. It takes cycles away from work the CPU (and the CPUs of the
    cards) could otherwise be doing. Stutters, pops and clicks are just one
    result when the SBLive/ET10k1 get frequently interrupted by IRQ grabbing.
    My problem is something to do with a relationship between hard disk access
    and the SBLive. I suspect yet another round of Musical PCI slots is in my
    future.

    S.P. Goodman, Oct 16, 2004
  6. S.P. Goodman

    Jim Routis Guest

    Have you tried to reinstall Windows ?

    Jim Routis, Oct 20, 2004
  7. S.P. Goodman

    S.P. Goodman Guest

    | Have you tried to reinstall Windows ?

    Twas one of the steps what led to this situation... I suspect the WDM
    version files are the culprit. Can't get rid of them.

    Has anyone ever determined what the 'favorite' slot of this annoying card
    is? :)

    message

    S.P. Goodman, Oct 20, 2004