    wouldn't bother me at all. Problem is that I don't even know if this
    heatsink screw pattern matches any sort of standard. Does it seem
    familiar to anyone experienced in replacing VGA heat sinks?

    John McGaw, Feb 23, 2008

  2. John McGaw

    Mr.E Solved! Guest

    You can glue nickels to the chip if you choose, it doesn't have to look
    pretty: the secret is mass and conduction, just find a heatsink that
    fits (covers as much of the chip but still sits flat on it), it should
    feel heavy in your hand, not light. Stick it on and be done with it.

    As long as the surfaces can conduct heat, problem solved. You don't
    actually need a fan on a 8600's heat sink.

    Mr.E Solved!, Feb 23, 2008