RFD: new newsgroup comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad or alt.sys.laptops.thinkpad

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by John Navas, Oct 20, 2006.

  1. John Navas

    John Navas Guest

    Yes -- here's what my contact at Supernews had to say:
    John-

    I apologize, but we do not carry any IBM newsgroups on our servers
    because the IBM newsgroups are, according to IBM's own site, private
    to their own servers and therefore should not be carried on any other
    servers. Additionally, as you said, it's not a valid IBM newsgroup
    (so even if we did carry IBM's newsgroups, we would not carry that
    newsgroup because it's not valid according to their own newsgroup list).

    Google, I believe, is the site where 'ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad' was
    originally created, and other sites have added simply because it has
    traffic - not caring whether or not IBM wants it carried elsewhere.
    We do not carry any private newsgroups on our servers - if the site
    where the newsgroup(s) originate request that other sites not carry
    them (which IBM has done).

    I think this group should have been created as an alt.* newsgroup, or as
    comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad, or even in comp.sys.ibm.*, although with the
    Lenovo deal that would be confusing.

    Supernews is very important. I see two ways to resolve the issue,
    either by creating:

    1. comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad - the greatest legitimacy, but a lengthy
    and painful process with no guarantee of success.

    2. alt.sys.laptops.thinkpad - much easier, but would only succeed if we
    can migrate this traffic there, and would take some time to get going.

    What do you think?

    John Navas, Oct 20, 2006

  2. I would prefer comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad despite the process being
    longer as I know my news agent will carry it if it is legitimately in
    the traditional hierarchy. It would also be nice if one or more of
    the thinkpads.com (bbs?) groups could be made a gateway to the new
    group. If I recall correctly, having an existing and active service
    (e.g. mailing list, bbs) can be considered a positive when creating a
    new group.

    The harder question is whether the group should be moderated. I
    personally like moderated groups and would be willing to devote
    sometime to act as a co-moderator with others. However, I have no
    objections to an unmoderated group and would be happier with an
    unmoderated group than no group at all. Same thing holds for a group
    in the alt hierarchy, I'd rather have an alt group than none at all.

    Just the opinions of a potetntially happy new newsgroup partiticpant,
    -Chris

    Chris Clark Internet :
    23 Bailey Rd voice : (508) 435-5016
    Berlin, MA 01503 USA fax : (978) 838-0263 (24 hours)

    Chris F Clark, Oct 20, 2006

  3. John Navas

    Tim Skirvin Guest

    The newsgroup creation process has actually changed recently, and
    should be a whole lot less painful now than it was a year or so ago. The
    new system is documented here:

    http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=policies:creation

    The new system has the proponent (you) work to convince a central
    board (the Big-8 Management Board; I am a member) that creating the group
    would be a good idea. The RFD process isn't much different than before,
    but there is no Usenet-wide vote, and the whole process ideally runs much
    more quickly and smoothly.

    At first glance, I'd say that the idea has merit. My major
    concerns are:

    - Is there enough traffic?
    - Is this going to hurt comp.sys.laptops?
    - Are the suggested mailing list gateways okay with this?

    If you're interested in putting together a formal RFD, you can
    work with the Group Mentors to write up the appropriate documents, at
    -8.org .

    - Tim Skirvin ()

    Tim Skirvin, Oct 20, 2006
  4. John Navas

    John Navas Guest

    Thanks! I'm definitely leaning toward comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad
    ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad gets 10 articles per day despite not being a real
    newsgroup. I'm hopeful we could pick up (migrate) that traffic, and
    pick up new traffic due to being carried more widely, for a total of
    perhaps 20 articles per day fairly quickly.
    Although some traffic might be siphoned off, there's relatively little
    in comp.sys.laptops that's specific to ThinkPads, and I think a
    ThinkPad-specific subgroup might actually help -- my experience is that
    generic catchall newsgroups like comp.sys.laptops are hard for less
    experienced people (e.g., those just searching for "thinkpad") to find,
    and so I think comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad might increase total traffic
    and stimulate further development of the comp.sys.laptops.* hierarchy.
    I don't know of any -- anyone?

    John Navas, Oct 20, 2006
  5. John Navas

    John Navas Guest

    I agree.
    Can you be more specific? Would you undertake that?
    I'm personally not thrilled by many gateways, which seem to result in
    more junk and spam, but I'm not opposed to the idea.
    It's a tradeoff -- many people tend to avoid moderated newsgroups. In
    any event, since comp.sys.laptops is unmoderated, I think is would make
    sense for comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad to be unmoderated as well. But my
    mind is open.
    Agreed, but I'm definitely leaning toward comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad
    Great -- that's much of the battle!

    John Navas, Oct 20, 2006
  6. John Navas

    2Rowdy Guest

    I was reading <made
    by the entity known as John Navas, that requests spam to be sent to
    Go to a different server,
    http://groupsearch.aacity.net/cgi-bin/prop.pl?action=search&group=ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad&sorting=group

    2Rowdy, Oct 20, 2006
  7. Jahn Navas replied:
    Yes, I will post something on thinkpads.com to get a feel for how they
    feel and see if I can't facilitate the process. I'm not a moderator
    there, so I can't make any official statement on their behalf, but I
    can do some leg work to see which way the wind is blowing.

    If nothing else, the posting should help people know that a newsgroup
    may be coming and they can aggitate for (or against) it.

    Thank you for taking the lead on creating this newsgroup!

    Chris F Clark, Oct 20, 2006
  8. John Navas

    Guest Guest

    We pretty much feel meh. Create it, don't create it, thinkpads.com will
    still be there.

    Guest, Oct 21, 2006
  9. On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 16:52:17 GMT, in news.groups, John Navas

    <snip story of people trying to access a bogus newsgroup,
    ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad.
    Not so difficult now as it used to be. See below.
    I think it should go where the traffic already is. If the thinkpad
    traffic is mainly in comp.*, go for comp.*; if the thinkpad traffic is
    mostly in alt.comp.*, go with alt.comp.*.

    My guess is that most of the traffic is already in comp.*, so if I were
    you, I'd opt for comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad.

    It's not as hard as it used to be to get a new comp.* group. The old
    voting system has been scraped, and we now have something called The
    Big-8 Management Board which decides whether or not to create a new
    group. You /still/ have to do a formal RFD, and you /still/ have to
    have a discussion, but that's it. Once the discussion is over, the
    board makes the decision. You can learn more about this new procedure
    at http://www.big-8.org/

    Henrietta K Thomas, Oct 21, 2006
  10. John Navas

    John Navas Guest

    [Posted to comp.sys.laptops, news.groups]

    Proposed Big 8 newsgroup comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad would be for
    discussions pertaining to ThinkPad (IBM and Lenovo) laptop computers.

    RATIONALE

    ThinkPad is a major and very popular brand of laptop/notebook computers,
    formerly part of IBM, now part of Lenovo, with many unique features that
    set the brand apart from other brands of laptop computers.

    Discussions pertaining to ThinkPad laptop computers are currently
    carried in:

    * comp.sys.laptops:
    - generic laptop discussion group
    - traffic of 40 articles per day, down from peak of over 100 per day
    - will remain for discussions not pertaining to ThinkPad
    - Google archive of over 170,000 articles

    * ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad:
    - invalid newsgroup not carried by many news providers
    - traffic of 10 articles per day
    - Google archive of over 9,000 articles

    * <http://forum.thinkpads.com/>
    - broken down into multiple specific topics
    - over 15,000 registered users
    - over 200,000 articles

    The existence of ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad and the popularity of
    forum.thinkpads.com are evidence of the demand for a ThinkPad
    brand-specific forum.

    Once it becomes carried widely, comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad is expected to
    have initial traffic of at least 20 articles per day.

    comp.sys.laptops would remain for discussions not pertaining to ThinkPad
    computers. Although some traffic would presumably be siphoned off into
    comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad, the creation of a specific subgroup might
    re-stimulate interest enough to result in more traffic, and possibly in
    the creation of other comp.sys.laptops.* subgroups.

    HISTORY

    comp.sys.laptops was created in about 1990. Traffic apparently peaked
    at over 100 articles per day before declining to its current level of
    about 40 articles per day. This decline is believed to be more due to
    siphoning off by brand-specific web forums (e.g., forum.thinkpads.com),
    and lack of brand focus, not any lack of interest in laptop computers.

    Adding specific subgroups (IBM, Toshiba, etc.) to comp.sys.laptops was
    proposed in 1994-1995, but apparently went nowhere:
    <http://groups.google.com/groups?&as_epq=comp.sys.laptops.toshiba&as_ugroup=comp.sys.laptops>

    CHARTER

    comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad is for discussions pertaining to ThinkPad (IBM
    and Lenovo) laptop computers. It is NOT an official support forum for
    IBM or Lenovo.

    General Usenet "netiquette" guidelines as posted in
    news.announce.newusers and news.answers shall apply to this newsgroup.
    In particular, participants are asked to show courtesy and respect for
    other participants, and to avoid the use of offensive language,
    excessive quoting, or long signature blocks. Participants are encouraged
    to use descriptive Subjects (e.g., "T41 won't boot after disk swap"
    rather than just "Help").

    The following types of posts are prohibited:
    * Off-topic (not directly related to ThinkPad laptop computers)
    * Binaries (except for appended text-encoded digital signatures)
    * Spam (including excessive cross-posting)
    * Make-money-fast or other chain or fraudulent schemes
    * Work-at-home or other scams
    * Commercial advertisements, "infomercials," or announcements
    * Auction notices (e.g., eBay)
    * Forged articles (anonymous articles are allowed)
    * Personal insults or repetitive flaming (attacks)
    * Employment (help and/or position wanted) notices

    The use of e-mail addresses from articles posted to this group for the
    purpose of sending junk (mass unsolicited) e-mail or for compiling a
    list so that others may do so is specifically prohibited.

    In the absence of moderation, prohibitions can, of course, only be
    enforced by the collective will of the group and/or by after-the-fact
    complaints to the offender's service provider. Nevertheless, it is hoped
    that this charter will help in getting complaints resolved.

    MODERATOR INFO:

    The group is unmoderated.

    John Navas, Oct 21, 2006
  11. John Navas

    BillW50 Guest

    I think yes.

    BillW50, Oct 22, 2006
  12. John Navas

    Kathy Morgan Guest

    [followups set]

    You may not be aware that an RFD is not official unless it is
    crossposted to news.announce.newgroups - that part of the old group
    creation process has not changed.

    See the document at
    <http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=policies:creation> for
    details on the new creation process. The proposal sounds reasonable to
    me, but it isn't official until it is properly cross-posted to nan.

    Kathy Morgan, Oct 22, 2006