Rhine II NIC problem on Soyo kt600 Dragon Plus mobo

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by Mike Fenstermaker, Nov 30, 2003.

  1. I'm having problems with my new soyo kt600 dragon plus mb. After
    installing winxp home w/sp1, I had problems with the onboard Rhine II
    NIC. NIC functionality is intermittent. It will work for a few
    seconds, and then it will stop working for a few seconds, etc. When
    the NIC does work, it tends to be painfully slow.

    Many devices are sharing interrupts. The Rhine II NIC and USB
    controller(s) are all sharing the same interrupt. I suspect that there
    is an IRQ problem because of the "on again, off again" behavior of the
    NIC, but I am unable to change the IRQ usage in WinXP.

    Here is what I have tried to address this problem so far.

    - updated bios to 2ba2
    - downloaded and installed the latest Rhine II NIC driver from the
    Soyo website
    - I changed WinXP so it was using a "Standard PC" hal.dll instead of a
    "ACPI PC" hal.dll. This caused WinXP to redetect all hardware and
    reassign all resources. This did not change the behavior of the NIC.
    - Thinking the NIC problem had something to do with WinXP Home SP1, I
    formatted the hard drive and attempted to install Win98SE to see if
    the problem would go away. No luck with this either.
    - Since I don't use either serial port, the parallel port, serial ata
    controller, or firewire controller, I disabled all of them in an
    effort to free up some IRQs. This didn't help either.
    - I installed a Linksys LNE100TX NIC to see if that would work, but I
    still had the same problem with that under WinXP Home SP1. The Linksys
    NIC works great under Win98SE.
    - I have tried all of the latest drivers for onboard components as
    well as the drivers included on the installation cd.

    - I've noticed that the Rhine II NIC driver comes with an eeprom flash
    utility. Has anyone used this to fix their Rhine II NIC problem? If
    so, what kind of symptoms were you having with the NIC?

    Any suggestions/additional troubleshooting tips? Specifically, I want
    to get this up and running using WinXP Home SP1 with the onboard Rhine
    II NIC.

    Soyo KT600 Dragon Plus w/2ba1 bios
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+
    512MB PC3200 RAM
    GeForce FX5200 Graphics

    Mike Fenstermaker, Nov 30, 2003

  2. Just a word of my experience on Soyo built in NIC cards. I've had 4
    Soyo boards, from the SY-K7V to the KT400 Platinum Plus and all the
    NICs but one have failed within a month of installation. I'm not sure
    why, the boards themselves are great in my estimation, but their
    choice of NICs is not. It might be that they cannot handle the heat
    and they fry themselves, who knows? I'm just as happy to plug in a PCI
    card and know if that goes, I can replace it.

    Brian Kerrigan, Dec 1, 2003

  3. Mike Fenstermaker

    Woobie Guest

    Try going into your settings and set your onboard nic at auto negotiate
    or 100 tx. Try 10 tx too. Shoot, try all the settings. I eventually found
    one that worked with my system (I think 100 tx,) but inevitably turned to a
    separate pci card because of the wasted resources. Once I got a separate
    nic, all was well.
    Joe

    Woobie, Dec 1, 2003
  4. Mike Fenstermaker

    William Guest

    The NIC card and USB.s will work fine on the same IRQ. Make sure its
    not sharing with a Vid card or ext sound card. Use auto settings for
    tx speed and put the board back to acpi. No need to use standard pc
    anymore since the southbridge (via ) conflicts are gone. you could try
    a old spare pci nic to see if it does the same.

    William, Dec 6, 2003