    Anybody noticed this? And, if this is a common observation, how do we
    group?

    Thanks.

    Dave Arbok, Aug 18, 2004

  2. Dave Arbok

    deimos Guest

    Disable the Nview feature if you don't need it. NView in the recent
    drivers has been upgraded to have a "Play this file on your TV"
    function. I'm not sure if it's on by default or not. Probably is if
    you've got a line hooked up.

    As a last resort, go ahead and disable the NVidia services from
    starting. You can use MSCONFIG, or a right click on My Computer and
    choose Manage (select Services), which is much better. There might be 2
    of them. You can ignore the CPL extension one (NVCPL) I think, as it
    pretty much just loads the icon.

    deimos, Aug 19, 2004

  3. "Dave" posted his issue below back in 08/2004. Here we are in 10/2005, and
    with NVIDIA's latest 81.85 drivers, this particular problem *still* exists.
    No more monitors should have to suffer the physical abuse!

    The problem is definitely related to the 'Play On My...' functionality of
    the NVIDIA driver suite. 'Play On My...' is an additional context menu
    option shown when you right-click on certain media files. On my system, a
    clean install of the NVIDIA 81.85 drivers assigned this shell extension to
    three file types: AVI, MPG, and WMV. It is annoying beyond belief to have
    one's screen *dramatically* blink every single time one right-clicks on a
    popular media file. (I'm currently editing videos and authoring
    DVDs...argh!) What's even worse is that the functionality is really useless
    on systems that have just a single display. When I expand the 'Play On
    My...' context menu option, the only choice is '...Analog Display'.

    The ClassID (or GUID) for this shell extension is
    FFB699E0-306A-11d3-8BD1-00104B6F7516. While there are many ways to handle
    this, I personally chose to disable this NVIDIA shell extension *only* for
    the above file types. If you *completely* disable this shell extension, you
    won't have access to the NVIDIA advanced display settings.

    Locate the following Registry keys:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AVIFile
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MPEGFile
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMVFile

    Drill into \shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\PlayOnMyTV\ for each of these keys
    and modify the '(Default)' string value. I personally changed the value to
    {FFB699E0-306A-11d3-8BD1-00104B6F7516-Disable}. I prefer disabling over
    deletion when I can do it "cleanly" and the OS remains stable. You must
    reboot for the changes to take effect.

    This simply removes NVIDIA's custom 'Play On My...' context menu option from
    these file types. As a result, when you right-click on these file types,
    nvcpl.dll is not called...so no more blink.

    You'll still experience the "resolution blink" during boot (Windows XP
    splash screen) and when you navigate to the advanced settings of the Display
    control panel, but this is bearable for me relative to the unacceptable
    "right-click resolution blink".

    I agree that this is treating the symptom of the problem and not the problem
    itself. I would bet that the fundamental problem has something do with poor
    initialization logic in nvcpl.dll, but only NVIDIA can fix this problem.

    Chris Largent, Oct 25, 2005