    CD by itself?

    Thanks for any help!

    Scott

    Astronomer Smith, Aug 27, 2005

  2. Astronomer Smith

    HH Guest

    No. There is no way to do that illegal act. The restore CD only restores the
    Presario for which it is designed.
    HH

    HH, Aug 27, 2005

  3. That is just wrong to me. It is like saying you have something, but not
    really.
    I sort of understand the license thing, that I have a "right" to use it
    only on the computer it was installed on, but, up until fairly recently,
    Compaq and other companies included the OS on a CD, and some of the
    other programs too.
    So, in reality, I don't own a copy of Me, I'm using Compaq's copy until
    my computer dies? Originally, I was under the impression that all the
    software was included in the purchase price I paid for the computer to
    begin with. I know they sure did brag and advertise about the load of
    software as an incentive to buy the computer. Apparently, that is just
    a gimmick to hook under informed people like me (at that time).
    Live and learn. I know now, that I would have been better off to build
    a computer and buy my own software.
    It doesn't matter, I'm not mad or trying to whine (well, maybe a
    little), it just seems that if you own something you should own it, and
    be able to do what you want to with it - not own it for a limited time
    or just own a non-existant thing that truly vanishes when part of it
    becomes unusable. If I wanted that, I would have rented or leased a
    computer. Hmmm, now that I think about it, that is sort of what I did!
    Oh, by the way, no response is necessary, I'm just blowing off a little
    frustration.

    Astronomer Smith, Aug 28, 2005
  4. Astronomer Smith

    Steve W. Guest

    How is it wrong. You bought ONE copy of the software to use on the
    computer it was included with. Now you say you want to use that same
    copy of software on a different computer while the computer it came with
    is still working fine. That in itself is in violation of the terms of
    use in the license agreement (has been the same way since win 98) Just a
    fact. That OS WAS included in the price of the original computer it is
    also tied to that computer. All of the prebuilt machines are the same
    way. Now if you want to buy a copy and build a machine have fun with
    it. Compaq hasn't included a standard OS disc for a LONG time just a
    restore disc. Some of the others are now doing this as well.

    Steve W., Aug 29, 2005
  5. Astronomer Smith

    dannysdailys Guest

    No, it's not possible and I agree with you

    Your software is yours, not compaqs. You registered it, you paid fo
    it. And yes, you're not renting it

    I'd like to know why, when the computer dies, you can't sue for th
    software. You should be able to because you own it

    dannysdailys, Aug 29, 2005
  6. You own the media on which the software is recorded, you own the PC on
    which it runs, you have a licence to use the software, you do not own
    the software. The licence has conditions attached to it, which you will
    have agreed to before you started using the software (did you read the
    EULA, before you clicked on the 'I agree' box?). If the licence says
    that the software may only be run on the hardware with which it was
    supplied, that is the enforceable condition, at law.

    Microsoft own the software and sell you a licence to use it. If you
    want to own the software you will need to offer Microsoft many billions
    of dollars, and then you can start selling the licences to use the
    software.

    Nicholas D Richards, Aug 29, 2005
  7. So it is just like I am just renting the software for a indeterminate
    amount of time - that is, until the computer dies or otherwise becomes
    unusable. Okay, I can accept that...I don't like it...but there is
    nothing I can do, aside from buying an old version of Me or 98 from ebay
    for $30-$50 or so.

    I don't like this, but it is pretty much the same as owning
    property...nobody "really owns" property, land or home. If you don't
    pay your taxes on it, it will be taken from you. I guess microsoft
    won't come and physically take it from you, although in my Compaq
    situation, since I can't use it any more, it is about the same
    difference. Oh well, nobody ever promised me life would be perfect! If
    it were, we would all still be using CoCo's, C64's, and TI-99's. <grin>

    Scott

    Astronomer Smith, Sep 1, 2005
  8. Astronomer Smith

    DCA Guest

    I wouldn't read too much into the responses thus far. Technically they are
    right as written in the MS agreement. However to date there have been no
    prosecutions for transferring it to another machine (no you can't run it on
    two).
    There have been numerous debates of how this US written law would be applied
    in the EU. Many tend to support that MS will lose which is why they haven't
    yet challenged it as that would highlight the possible right to actually
    treat it as your own.
    Personally, I have bought a 2nd hand version of XP professional from a
    smashed laptop. I called Microsoft to activate it and all they asked me
    was - "how many machines do you have this installed on?". I stated I had
    installed additional memory, and a new HDD (which was not a lie).
    They said that was fine and gave me a new product code (massive long
    number). I haven't used ME but can't imagine it is any different to 98SE
    which is a doddle
    Just do it - MS don't give a toss about ME.
    Good luck
    David

    DCA, Nov 14, 2005