Riser card question ... how to make attached card secure?

Discussion in 'IBM' started by markm75, Dec 13, 2007.

  1. markm75

    markm75 Guest

    I've never used riser cards before.. but we have a 2u SuperMicro
    server case that has only verticle LP slots for securing the cards
    brackets to.. (SC826TQ-R800LPB)..

    We were going with the 12 port 3ware 9650SE-12ML pci-e x8 card.. which
    only comes in full height.

    3ware recommended using this card with an active riser by adex (they
    are certified for their cards), rather than 2 seperate 3ware cards due
    to possible multilane/motherboard issues..

    They recommended cards that are active from adex : http://www.adexelec.com/pciexp.htm

    First off, I'm not even sure how i would "lay" this card inside the
    system as it wouldnt have a way to be secured.. or do they make riser
    cards that could have the bracket secured to the riser card itself?

    I'm guessing the best option short of not doing this.. is getting a
    flexible riser ribbon card and having the 3ware card lay across the
    slots on the motherboard, but this seems risky to me?

    Thanks for any tips..

    markm75, Dec 13, 2007

  2. markm75

    CJT Guest

    Find a case that's made for riser cards.

    CJT, Dec 14, 2007

  3. markm75

    markm75 Guest

    Its a bit out of the question in our case.. i've had an engineer take
    a look.. a few standoffs and we will be pretty secure i think.

    markm75, Dec 14, 2007