RitePen

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Mitch Tulloch, Nov 15, 2005.

  1. Hey, Tablet PC experts, what are the pros/cons of using RitePen? Anyone have
    any thoughts to share concerning this product? Thanks!

    Mitch Tulloch, Nov 15, 2005

  2. Mitch Tulloch

    terri Guest

    terri, Nov 15, 2005

  3. James Kendrick, Nov 15, 2005
  4. Thanks James, great review! Question though--from the description it sounds
    like all RitePen does is provide an alternate way of inputting text into
    fields and documents by writing anywhere on the screen instead of having to
    write in the TIP. But would I be able to use RitePen to input text into an
    app like cmd.exe that isn't Ink aware?

    --
    Cheers,
    Mitch Tulloch

    Mitch Tulloch, Nov 16, 2005
  5. I haven't tried it with cmd.exe specifically but it will insert text in any
    program that the TIP will.

    James Kendrick, Nov 16, 2005
  6. Mitch Tulloch

    Mickey Segal Guest

    ritePen does more than match the TIP. As stated on
    http://www.evernote.com/en/downloads/#ritePen, "ritePen is an advanced
    handwriting recognition software for Windows-based pen computers that lets
    you write on the full screen and easily manipulate application windows.
    ritePen converts handwriting into text for instant entry into any Windows
    application."

    I read that as excluding a CMD window but including TextFields in
    applications such as Firefox that come without TIP support (until you add
    http://geckotip.mozdev.org/).

    I think there is a lesson here for the Tablet PC team: there is an advantage
    to an approach that enables programs not written specifically for Tablets to
    allow ink input. The advantage is increasing the set of programs that work
    with pen input, encouraging people to switch to Tablets.

    Mickey Segal, Nov 17, 2005
  7. Mitch Tulloch

    MiniMage Guest

    Just as said here. I cannot write into a CMD window with rP, but
    I can use it in other places where TIP does not work. I have
    Geckotip, but it doesn't always work in some blogging windows.
    Sometimes, I will use OrangeGuava Inkable Keys
    (http://www.orangeguava.com) to input into a command window, but
    it can be a pain using spaces and making corrections.

    MiniMage, Nov 21, 2005