    It's not a particle system, it's not "some pixels drawn on screen". The
    demo you showed me is just a particle system as has been done for
    decades. This is not point based rendering.

    Nicolas Bonneel, May 26, 2010

  2. you "scanned through". good. now read.
    I swear it will take you more than a day to be able to speak about it.

    I don't say "everything is solved". I just say there *are* efficient
    compression schemes - as in the links I sent, with octree based
    compression. So maybe stills things have to be done to reach Shannon
    limit, but if people *are* able to render billionS of voxels, it *means*
    it is sufficiently compressed for interesting use with current hardware.
    If it was *not* compressed, a 8192^3 voxelization would take 2TeraBytes
    (with just 1 float opacity per voxel, without any color) which obviously
    does not fit in the gpu memory.

    Nicolas Bonneel, May 26, 2010

  3. Perhaps, but perhaps the renderer is also "cheating" by using the CPU to do
    the decompression.

    And if I recall correctly it does seem to be cheating by using the CPU to do
    the decompression.

    The problem with that is that games would not have enough CPU power level to
    do the game's logic.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 26, 2010
  4. Instead of saying "perhaps", read it!!!!!!
    If the data was decompressed on the CPU, there would be no way to send
    that amount of data on the fly to the GPU. They achieve at worse 20fps
    on this old hardware. If you meant "compressed", then it is completely
    fine to compress data on the CPU.
    This is mainly a gpu algo, it was in 2007, and didn't saturate the cpu
    with computations. Now, I'll stop responding until you read and
    understand at least 5-6 papers about whatever you're talking of.

    Nicolas Bonneel, May 26, 2010
  5. What's the difference then ? It seems almost the same.

    The UltraForce demo uses "balls/ellipse-like-things".

    It even does a little bit of lightning to make the back dark and the front
    lighter...

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 26, 2010
  6. No time for it, besides it contains way to many details.
    It could do it partially/little bits at a time but that would not be very
    usefull.

    Actually I think the documents mentioned "blocks" being decompressed on the
    cpu and being fully sent to the gpu.
    20 fps is already very low, and won't be enjoyable for shooters.
    I remain unconvinced... a demo would answer these questions what cpu
    utilization is actually done.

    There is hope though for these kinds of renderer's at least for the cpu...
    because of multi-core...

    However for now systems only have 1 memory and therefore the memory will be
    the bottleneck even on multi-core systems.

    The proof is in the pudding ! ;) :)

    Bye,
    Skybuck :)

    Skybuck Flying, May 26, 2010
  7. Oh I forgot to mention another important problem with these shaders and
    custom renderers:

    "Re-usability of code".

    It will probably be very hard/difficult to re-use this code.

    An API would be much easier to re-use.

    So in another words: Shaders do not seem to be the most re-usable codes...
    especially CG seems to be lacking the "units/objects" concepts.

    Could be a big obstacle.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 26, 2010