    She wants only something between her Motorola Cable modem and the computer to keep back Spam and Viruses.

    I need to know what would be best for her in this case. Only 1 computer, nothing wireless.
    She uses a realtively fast AMD 2200 and Windows XP.

    Karl, Apr 27, 2004

  2. Karl

    Bob Haar Guest

    A hub would do nothing. A router with Network Address translation would help
    hide the computer from direct attacks, but a real firewall would be better.
    Neither one does anything for SPAM or viruses. The best defense is good
    anti-virus software combined with safe computing habits.

    Bob Haar, Apr 27, 2004

  3. Karl

    kawipoo Guest

    Use a router a hub does not offer firewall protection. It will not protect against spam because spam enters via email.
    I use presently a Netgear Router and it works fine with Comcast.cable

    My daughter has a different cable provider in Hagerstown, MD and wants me to get eithert a router or hub.

    kawipoo, Apr 27, 2004
  4. Karl

    Karl Guest

    Karl, Apr 27, 2004
  5. Karl

    Karl Guest

    Thanks for the info.

    She does have the windows XP Firewall enabled.

    She also uses NOD32 which I use after I got tired of McAfee and Norton.
    (Like NOD32 much, much better)

    I do not get viruses or Spam, she does.

    But I use Comacst she uses Myactv.net
    Also a cable ISP though.

    Karl, Apr 27, 2004
  6. She needs a router, but that alone WILL NOT stop spam or viruses.

    A router WILL stop most trojans from dialing out,
    and will stop most intruders from getting in.

    But she will still need a firewall, an anti-virus program (or better, several),
    and one or more anti-spyware/trojan programs, if she wants to be really secure.

    To reply by email, remove the XYZ.

    This sig censored by the Office of Home and Land Insecurity....

    Never anonymous Bud, Apr 27, 2004
  7. Karl

    James Knott Guest

    She'll need one of those firewall/router boxes, to keep out intruders.
    However, those devices won't do anything for viruses & spam, which uually
    come in via e-mail.

    --

    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

    james.knott.

    James Knott, Apr 27, 2004
  8. Karl

    Jim Macklin Guest

    A hub doesn't do anything except make a path that is always
    connected to everything. She needs a router. A software
    firewall also won't hurt.

    Jim Macklin, Apr 27, 2004
  9. Give her this advice as well..

    Please Notice that if you use AOL, you should at least upgrade to 9.0 or
    greater before doing any of the fixes. I know you can get AOL 9.0 at almost
    any convenience store, gas station, super market or other retail outlet in
    the world, so this should not be a problem.

    Turn on that firewall...
    http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/home/using/howto/homenet/icf.asp
    (It has been reported that it now works with AOL 9.0+)

    Make sure you have all the updates (critical) installed from:
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    (Scan for updates, Review and Install)

    Get rid of the spy/ad/mal-ware..
    (Yes - using MORE than one of these..
    I recommend at least the first three. Also..
    UPDATE the definitions for them before using.)

    Spybot Search and Destroy
    http://www.safer-networking.net/

    Lavasoft AdAware
    http://www.lavasoft.de

    CWSShredder

    Hijack This!
    http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/

    I also like "The Cleaner" and "SpywareBlaster" and "SpywareGuard".
    - http://www.moosoft.com/
    - http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

    The first is a PAY product, but useable for 30 days - it has found and
    eliminated problems in the past the others did not. The latter two are
    prevention mechanisms. I like SpywareGuard for those with enough processor
    to have something running like antivirus software - and it prevents browser
    hijacking quite well. SpywareBlaster is a FANTASTIC free product, I suggest
    getting this after you cleanup and keeping it updated as well....

    And Assortment of Others:
    http://spywareinfo.com/

    After you cleanup your PC somewhat of spy/ad/mal-ware, verify your antivirus
    software is updated and run a full scan of your computer. If you have no
    antivirus software - get one NOW! Grisoft AntiVirus:
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

    Empty your Temporary Internet Files and shrink the size it stores to about
    80 to 120MB (seems to be an optimal size for the normal user)

    - Open ONE copy of Internet Explorer.
    - Select TOOLS -> Internet Options.
    - Under the General tab in the "Temporary Internet Files" section,
    do the following:
    - Click on "Delete Cookies" (click OK)
    - Click on "Settings" and change the
    "Amount of disk space to use:" to something between 80MB
    and 120MB. (Betting it is MUCH larger right now.)
    - Click OK.
    - Click on "Delete Files" and select to
    "Delete all offline contents" (the checkbox) and click
    OK. (If you had a LOT, this could take 2-10 minutes or
    more.)
    - Once it is done, click OK, close Internet Explorer
    - Re-open Internet Explorer.

    Uninstall any software you do not use often/ever. (If you have something
    installed but never use it, uninstall it.) If you go through Control
    Panel -> Add/Remove Programs and see things you seldom if ever use, it is to
    your advantage to remove it.

    Also, if you are tired of Web Page Pop-Ups/Unders.. You could try the
    Google Toolbar.
    http://toolbar.google.com/

    Stop loading applications at logon.. run MSCONFIG and look under the startup
    tab for things you DON'T want to startup! Search the Internet with Google
    to discover what things are safe to remove and what things may even be
    malware infecting your computer.

    Better control your email and lessen the amount of time you spend dealing
    with SPAM:
    SpamBayes
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/spambayes/
    or
    Spamihilator.
    http://www.spamihilator.com

    Shenan Stanley, Apr 27, 2004
  10. Karl

    Karl Guest

    NO, NO and again NO. To AOL. She never uses that and I recommend it for NO
    ONE.

    Karl, Apr 27, 2004
  11. Easy Karl,

    The reason that is in my spill is because there ARE people who use it and if
    they do not use 9.0 or above, the firewall advice fails.

    Shenan Stanley, Apr 27, 2004
  12. Karl

    Matt Guest

    If her application-software demands are not great (mostly common stuff
    like emailing, web surfing, word processing etc), you could end her
    virus problems by switching her to Linux.

    Matt, Apr 28, 2004
  13. Karl

    Karl Guest

    I agree on that. I just do not like AOL with all their very own,
    non-standard protocols. Millions of people have left AOL in the last 2 years
    too.

    Karl, Apr 28, 2004
  14. Karl

    Karl Guest

    Too hard a learning curve for her.

    Karl, Apr 28, 2004
  15. Karl

    JH Guest

    TRY fedora... this Linux comes up like windows and there is virtually 0
    learning curve! Comes with open office too!
    www.fedora.redhat.com and burn the 3 ISOs to CD

    Installs easy as Windows too, and NO long numbers to type in nor any
    activation hassles!

    JH, Apr 30, 2004
  16. Nod. Don't foist linux on someone who will not want it. (I use
    linux, but I don't install it for, e.g., my mom either.)

    I don't trust IE for browsing (if it can do windowsupdate, it's too
    dangerous for casual browsing). I also do not trust outlook for email
    - too many mail worm exploits.

    You might look into mozilla. It is a good browser and decent email
    client. The email part (in more recent revisions) has a learning
    filter against spam.

    Johan Kullstam, May 2, 2004