    computer that is on the receiving end of wireless network is being used, and
    thus all bandwidth is free, can lag be expected or not?

    Much regards Jerry

    j.lef, Feb 27, 2004

  2. I have a wireless connection and it just zooms along as fast as the direct
    cable connection.

    In j.lef <> stated

    Joan F \(MI\), Feb 27, 2004

  3. j.lef

    Scott Guest

    Jerry,

    I use both in my house, and I use an ethernet cable when it's close enough
    to run the cable...simply because files copy faster over the wired connection.
    I tend to move multiple-megabyte files for backup use.

    I use a wireless connection for my upstairs computer and laptops.

    My SMC router has 4 ports for ethernet cables. Also, the wireless signal travels
    very well thru my 3-story house.

    Scott

    Scott, Feb 27, 2004
  4. The speed should be fine - there will be more latency in a wireless
    connection than a wired one, particularly if
    you use WPA or WEP - which you effectively must do unless you're willing to
    leave your home network open to anyone within range to join or eavesdrop on.

    Edward J. Neth, Feb 27, 2004