RPN - An introduction to Reverse Polish Notation

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by -oo0(GoldTrader)0oo-, Feb 28, 2006.

  1. RPN-An introduction to Reverse Polish Notation

    Just got an update on Ricardo's HP-12c emulator. What it does is
    reproduce the functions & actions of the original HP 12 on your
    desktop. Real handy. The computer version cost 77% less than the
    handheld.

    Free Trial HP 12c http://homepage.mac.com/riclira/Personal14.html

    Installation was as smooth as silk. You can make it any size, the
    thing talks. This makes it easy to know what functions you are using,
    like percent change, or percent total etc. Does mortgages, and solves
    for any variable, cash flows, bonds etc.

    Reverse Polish Notation was developed as a way to write a mathematical
    expression without using parentheses and brackets.

    ..RPN saves time and keystrokes. You never have to account for the
    parentheses while doing calculations. The process is similar to the way
    you learned math on paper.

    ..You can see the intermediary results as you perform your computations
    rather than just the answer at the end. This is an extremely helpful
    byproduct. Math teachers are using this feature to improve student
    understanding of mathematics

    ..An intermediate result allows the user to check the results and
    correct errors more easily. It's easier to follow the stream of
    calculation. The user defines the priority of operators.
    RPN is logical because the user first gives the number and then tells
    what to do with it.

    From: http://www.hp.com/calculators/news/rpn.html

    -oo0(GoldTrader)0oo-, Feb 28, 2006

  2. -oo0(GoldTrader)0oo-

    Hans Aberg Guest

    There is also the X Window xcalc that can do both RPN and "(...)", that
    can be run from X11 of Mac OS X.

    Hans Aberg, Feb 28, 2006

  3. -oo0(GoldTrader)0oo-

    Calum Benson Guest

    And don't forget OSX's own built-in calculator does RPN too, in Tiger at
    least.

    Calum Benson, Feb 28, 2006
  4. And don't forget your firmware, yes, your firmware. The PPC macs (how sad
    that we need to make the distinction now) use OpenFirmware, OpenFirmware
    is strongly rooted in the Forth language, and the Forth language is
    Inherently RPN, it's easy to use RPn calculations in your OpenFirmware, to
    do a test IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING boot into OF a while and do some
    RPN calcs:

    4 3 +<enter>
    etc etc

    Lars Goldschlager, Feb 28, 2006
  5. -oo0(GoldTrader)0oo-

    Steve Mackie Guest

    Don't forget the FREE HP calculator emulators! I own a HP 48G+, and with a
    quick download from www.hpcalc.org I was able to get a nice emulator and ROM
    file to use on my laptop so I don't have to travel with my 48G+!

    Steve

    Steve Mackie, Feb 28, 2006
  6. -oo0(GoldTrader)0oo-

    Gnarlodious Guest

    Entity Steve Mackie spoke thus:
    Really? Are you using this one?
    http://Spectrumology.com/Time/#Hp48

    Is there a better one out there? Because it seems like Markus Fritze has
    quit the HP emulator business.

    Also, con you connect your HP48 to your Mac? How?

    -- Gnarlie

    Gnarlodious, Mar 1, 2006
  7. -oo0(GoldTrader)0oo-

    Steve Mackie Guest

    Don't forget the FREE HP calculator emulators! I own a HP 48G+, and with
    Actually, I am using Emu48. I read your post and thought to myself: "Why
    does this guy think I own a MAC?" Then I noticed the crosspost to the 'mac'
    groups. Bastard crossposters! I am reading this from comp.sys.laptops.

    Steve

    Steve Mackie, Mar 1, 2006
  8. I thought of that Steve. Ricardo has a Windows version, works just as
    well.

    -oo0(GoldTrader)0oo-, Mar 1, 2006
  9. Don't forget the FREE HP calculator emulators! I own a HP 48G+, and with a
    quick download from www.hpcalc.org I was able to get a nice emulator and ROM
    file to use on my laptop so I don't have to travel with my 48G+!

    Steve[/QUOTE]

    Is there a good HP41C emulator anywhere? I still own two of these; one
    to use and one as spare when the first one breaks (although, since it is
    now 22 years old, it may outlast me if N batteries remain available).

    Opinions differ(!), but I think the HP41 was the pinnacle of what a
    scientific calculator should be.

    Charles Bouldin, Mar 1, 2006
  10. Apple's Calculator is not a very good RPN implementation IMHO. It does
    not show the intermediate values on the stack, has no stack manipulating
    functions (DROP, DUP, etc), does not warn of undeflows, and no UNDO last
    operation.

    The HPxxx emulators I have played with are pretty slick, but I find them
    a bit overkill for most things I need to do. I also feel they are a bit
    awkward to use the small buttons with a mouse, but that may be my rheumy
    eyes and palsied hands.

    For those that collect such things, or need a free, simple RPN
    calculator:
    <http://www.macforth.com/downloads.html>
    (source code on request)

    -- w

    ward mcfarland, Mar 1, 2006
  11. -oo0(GoldTrader)0oo-

    Steve Mackie Guest

    Don't forget the FREE HP calculator emulators! I own a HP 48G+, and with
    Opinions do differ! Have you ever used a 48G? Blows the 41C out of the
    water. At my last employer, I had a co-worker that swore by the 41C, but
    agreed the 48G was a far superior device. The visible stack in the 48G would
    probably be the one feature that makes the 41C obsolete, even though the 48G
    and the 41C are both 'technically' obsolete.

    Then again, it may just be what you're used to: The 41C was the 'cream of
    the crop' when my ex-co-worker went through University and the 48G was the
    'cream of the crop' when I went through University.

    Here's some interesting reading:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP-41
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP-48

    Steve

    Steve Mackie, Mar 1, 2006
  12. -oo0(GoldTrader)0oo-

    Gnarlodious Guest

    Entity ward mcfarland uttered this profundity:
    Very nice, Ward. Thanks! I can tell it was made by an Apple Forth person.

    -- Gnarlier

    Gnarlodious, Mar 1, 2006
  13. Ward you can use the keyboard on your laptop to run the emulators.

    -oo0(GoldTrader)0oo-, Mar 1, 2006
  14. -oo0(GoldTrader)0oo-

    Marc Heusser Guest

    Actually I still use my HP-15 to add numbers - it has such a nice
    keyboard to type blindly.

    On the other hand you can quickly get spoilt by such tools as
    Mathematica, showing you the whole input neatly laid out. And you can
    check results often by plotting them simply etc. Eg I easily found a
    gross error in a data table in a published psychological test (I
    programmed the evaluation in Mathematica to simplify work) just by
    plotting the tabular data as a 3D surface - you could not miss the hole.
    Not to mention symbolic math.

    Marc

    Marc Heusser, Mar 1, 2006
  15. -oo0(GoldTrader)0oo-

    ivsimler Guest

    Okay...that HP site is a bunch of utter crap. I downloaded emu48 (or
    whatever) Then it tells me I need a kml file...which I get...of some
    sort or another...and then I use a text editor to look at the KML file
    to see what I need....(just like emu48's readme file says to do)...

    And then I get completely and utterly lost. None of the ROM's I've
    seen match what the kml file wants...and I have yet to find these
    "beep" files they mention...

    Can anybody help here? I love my 48SX I've had since maybe 1989...and
    would like an rpn calc on my powerbook.....

    Thanks,
    George

    ivsimler, Mar 1, 2006
  16. -oo0(GoldTrader)0oo-

    Steve Mackie Guest

    Okay...that HP site is a bunch of utter crap. I downloaded emu48 (or
    I've only ever used the win32 version. Do you have to d/l a ROM file and
    convert it on the Mac version?

    Steve

    Steve Mackie, Mar 1, 2006
  17. -oo0(GoldTrader)0oo-

    Randy Howard Guest

    Steve Mackie wrote
    Except no HP model has ever matched the feel of the 41C/CV/CX
    line keyboard. The newer HP graphing calcs are notorious for
    their poor keyboards.
    In some ways it is.
    If you really know RPN, you have no need for a visible stack.

    Randy Howard, Mar 2, 2006
  18. Sure there is. Have a look at <http://www.hp41.org> for a Windows
    based one (registration needed, but it's completely free, tons of
    additional info available at this site).

    For Linux and/or Windows you can find one at
    <http://nonpareil.brouhaha.com> (general emulator, also drives other
    HP models, also free).

    For the Palm OS organizers, I highly recommend Charles Lee's P41CX
    <http://www.palmgear.com/software/showsoftware.cfm?prodID=40123>,
    low-prices shareware.

    Regards,

    Guido

    Guido Ostkamp, Mar 2, 2006
  19. -oo0(GoldTrader)0oo-

    J. Clarke Guest

    FWIW, there is also a very nice port of Emu48 to PalmOS.
    <http://www.mobilevoodoo.com/products.htm>.

    J. Clarke, Mar 3, 2006
  20. Take a look at my RPN/RPL Implementations list at:

    http://www.finseth.com/rpnrpl.html

    It has _lots_.

    Craig

    Craig A. Finseth, Mar 3, 2006