    in the output in using hyperterminal.

    Will the above work?

    Thanks...

    muktabh, Feb 7, 2008

  2. I don't know that specific board (have dealt with other PCM cards), but
    typically RS-485 needs some line discipline. Strictly speaking, RS-485
    is half-duplex (3-wire: 2 for comms, 1 for ground); you either tx, or
    you rx. Not both. Something (often the RTS output) needs to
    enable/disable the drivers.

    Again strictly speaking, the 5-wire version (full duplex) is RS-422, but
    the distinction is getting a bit blurred - people talk about FDX RS-485
    links these days (which is mostly ok - RS-485 drivers are way more
    robust than RS-422 drivers). If your board has a distinct pair of RS-485
    outputs and another distinct pair of inputs, you'll be fine. Otherwise,
    you'll need to enable the drivers while you tx (and for a short while
    afterwards, long enough for the last character to leave), and disable
    the drivers when you rx or when you're idle.

    HTH,

    Steve
    http://www.fivetrees.com

    Steve at fivetrees, Feb 7, 2008