rsync - simple syntax question

Discussion in 'Apple' started by SpaceMarine, Nov 27, 2007.

  1. SpaceMarine

    SpaceMarine Guest

    hello,

    im looking to sync a data folder from an ipod to a local folder. looks
    pretty simple, but im getting mired down in the details of folder
    names & escaping.

    my ipod's name is JOE'S IPOD. i thought it was something like this:

    rsync -n -v -r 'JOE"'"S IPOD/sourceFolder' /Users/joe/temp/
    destFolder

    ....but that puts my terminal into some sort of editor mode or
    something. ive tried a few other variations w/ no limited success (and
    by "limited", i mean "no").

    anybody help a joe out?

    thanks,
    sm

    SpaceMarine, Nov 27, 2007

  2. SpaceMarine

    SpaceMarine Guest

    barry,

    that syntax appears to try to open a ssh connection to a server.
    reports:

    ssh: Error resolving hostname JULIE'S IPO: nodename nor servname
    provided, or not known

    ....i think thats because of the ":", which designates a server;
    whereas i think im trying to designate a drive.

    sm

    SpaceMarine, Nov 27, 2007

  3. SpaceMarine

    SpaceMarine Guest

    yep, that was it. im on 10.5.1, and the apostrophe is shown as an
    apostrophe in the /Volumes listing.

    thanks!

    only thing that isnt working quite as expected -- its trying to copy
    every single file from the source to the destination, even tho i
    already have many of the files in the destination folder. not sure
    why; i thought rsync only copied that which wasnt there, etc. or does
    that require more option usage?

    thanks,
    sm

    Yours might be this instead:

    SpaceMarine, Nov 29, 2007
  4. SpaceMarine

    SpaceMarine Guest

    ah...that did it -- now it properly resumes copying where it
    previously left off.

    thanks, tom!

    sm

    SpaceMarine, Dec 5, 2007