    2. If I will pay for it, and don't wannna open my source (for millitary
    purpose), How much should I pay, who will I pay to?

    Thanks for your help.

    Noah, Feb 14, 2005

  2. AFAIK, Open Source means, you have to make your sources available to
    your customer (on request). But in a military project this might be
    the case anyway.

    Also, you have to disclose derived work, i.e. if you modify the Open
    Source software you have to provide the modifications.

    But in case of an (RT)OS, I doubt, that you have to disclose the
    application: See commercial applications running on Linux.

    42Bastian Schick, Feb 14, 2005

  3. Noah

    Quokka Guest

    Quokka, Feb 14, 2005
  4. Noah

    Eric Smith Guest

    Yes. RTEMS and eCos use a GPL license with an additional exception
    clause that explicitly allows you to build applications that run on
    top of the RTOS without the application needing to be GPL'd. However,
    changes to the RTOS itself still must be GPL'd.

    I think the exception is identical for both RTEMS and eCos, but I
    haven't compared them side-by-side. You can find them here:
    http://ecos.sourceware.org/license-overview.html
    http://www.rtems.com/license/LICENSE
    For RTEMS, you'd have to ask OAR Corporation.

    For eCos, you'd have to ask eCosCentric, Red Hat, and/or the FSF. I'm not
    sure which entity owns it now; there was talk of it being transferred to the
    FSF, but I'm not sure whether that was completed.

    What RTOS changes are you making that you don't want to share?

    Eric Smith, Feb 14, 2005
  5. Noah

    Noah Guest

    My target system may have to change many.

    Chages may made from VHDL CPU code (open source too) to RTOS
    system/application.
    Because my company need to use one of them as commercial purpose,
    so we don't want our source to be open in order 'to protect the benifit
    of our company's effort' on it.
    I cannot not sure what modification will made now, As I know the system
    will be VERY important/expensive application.
    Maybe it's an aerospace application.

    Noah, Feb 16, 2005
  6. Noah

    Quokka Guest

    Hello Noah,

    You should look at the rtems web site and license conditions and
    if you are still worried you should get in touch with Oarcorp.
    The people there are very helpful and will
    explain to you exactly what your open source obilgations would be.

    You can use RTEMS with a closed source application, as per the
    license file on their website.

    Also here is a link to some applications that use RTEMS,
    some of which are aerospace related.

    http://www.rtems.com/phpwiki/index.php/RTEMSApplications

    Regards

    Paul

    Quokka, Feb 16, 2005
  7. Noah

    Eric Smith Guest

    Well, if you don't want to provide your kernel changes back, you should
    buy a commercial kernel rather than using RTEMS or eCos.

    Eric Smith, Feb 19, 2005