rumor: Nvidia GT-200 (GTX 280) a significant miss on Clock, GFLOPSand Yields

Discussion in 'ATI' started by NV55, May 24, 2008.

  1. NV55

    NV55 Guest

    Nvidia GTX260 and 280 revealed

    Missed targets and low yield

    By Charlie Demerjian: Saturday, 24 May 2008, 5:57 PM

    NVIDIA STAGED ITS regular editors' day, and once again, we were not
    invited. Luckily, that means we can tell you about it early.

    With the usual flair of spin and statistics which almost no one
    questions for fear of being cut off, NV talked about two new GPUs, the
    GTX280 and GTX260. The 280 is the big one, the 260 is the mid range,
    what used to be the GTS.

    The 280 has 240 stream processors and runs at a clock of 602MHz, a
    massive miss on what the firm intended. The processor clock runs at
    1296MHz and the memory is at 1107MHz. The high-end part has 1G of
    GDDR3 at 512b width. This means that they are pretty much stuck
    offering 1G cards, not a great design choice here.

    The 280 has 32ROPs and feeds them with a six and eight-pin PCIe
    connector. Remember NV mocking ATI over the eight-pin when the 2900
    launched, and how they said they would never use it? The phrase
    'hypocritical worms' come to mind, especially since it was on their
    roadmap at the time. This beast takes 236W max, so all those of you
    who bought mongo PSUs may have to reinvest if they ever get three or
    four-way SLI functional.

    The cards are 10.5-inch parts, and each one will put out 933GFLOPS.
    Looks like they missed the magic teraflop number by a good margin.
    Remember we said they missed the clock frequencies by a lot? Here is
    where it must sting a bit more than usual, sorry NV, no cigar.

    The smaller brother, aka low-yield, salvage part, the GTX260 is
    basically the same chips with 192 SPs and 896M GDDR3. If you are maths-
    impaired, let me point out that this equates to 24 ROPs.

    The clocks are 576MHz GPU, 999MHz memory and 896MHz GDDR3 on a 448b
    memory interface. The power is fed by two six-pin connectors. Power
    consumption for this 10.5-inch board is 182W.

    This may look good on paper, but the die is over 550mm, 576 according
    to Theo, on the usual TSMC 65nm process. If you recall, last quarter
    NV blamed its tanking margins on the G92 yields.

    How do you fix a low yield problem? Well, in Nvidia-land, you simply
    add massive die area to a part so the yields go farther down. 576 /
    325 = 1.77x. Hands up anyone who thinks this will help them meet the
    margin goals they promised? Remember, markets are closed Monday, so if
    you sleep in, no loss.

    The 260 will be priced at $449 and go up against the ATI 770/4870
    costing MUCH less. The 280 will be about 25 per cent faster and quite
    likely lose badly to the R700, very badly, but cost more, $600+.

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/05/24/gtx260-280-revealed

    NV55, May 24, 2008

  2. NV55

    NV55 Guest

    How about future games for the 2008-2009 timeframe that use CryEngine
    2
    id Tech5 (RAGE, DOOM 4), and others. How about being able to
    probably run Crysis on a single card at 60fps without SLI ?

    How about because Nvidia has not brought out a true upgrade of the G80
    since its arrival in fall 2006, almost 2 years ago by the time GT200
    launches.

    NV55, May 26, 2008