[RUMOUR] Major Mac OS X revamp at WWDC

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Your Name, May 6, 2014.

  1. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    From PCAuthority.com.au ...

    Major Mac OS X revamp could be unveiled next month
    --------------------------------------------------
    June's WWDC event to see unveiling of OS X Syrah with
    "end-to-end" redesign, says report.

    Apple has big plans for OS X, according to a new report
    ­ and we're going to learn much more about them at next
    month Worldwide Developers Conference.

    9to5Mac claims that WWDC will see the unveiling of a
    revamped Mac operating system, with the jump from the
    current OS X Mavericks to OS X Syrah (as it's reportedly
    codenamed) being similar to that of iOS 6 to iOS 7.

    The report calls it an "end-to-end" redesign, with some
    features inspired by iOS 7: similar toggle designs,
    sharper window corners, more white space, "more defined
    icons across the system". However, it says that Apple
    isn't ready to ditch OS X staples like Finder, Mission
    Control and multi-window multitasking just yet, so OS X
    will remain distinct from its mobile counterpart.

    The codename "Syrah" comes from a Californian wine, by
    the way. The trend of nods towards Apple's home state
    began with OS X Mavericks, and will reportedly continue
    with new versions of the desktop OS for the foreseeable
    future: other terms for California landmarks like
    Diablo, Mammoth and Yosemite have been trademarked by
    the company, and it's possible that one of these could
    end up being the final name for Mac OS 10.10. All will
    doubtless be revealed at WWDC, which begins on 2nd June.

    <http://mobile.pcauthority.com.au/Article.aspx?CIID=384477&type=News>




    iOS 7 is P-I-G U-G-L-Y and boring (not to mention nearly unusable in
    places)!! It simply proves Johnny Ives knows very little about user
    interface design. Mac OS X should never go down that silly "flat"
    route. :-(
     
    Your Name, May 6, 2014
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Your Name

    JF Mezei Guest

    On 14-05-05 22:00, Your Name wrote:
    >
    > The report calls it an "end-to-end" redesign, with some
    > features inspired by iOS 7: similar toggle designs,


    Are there still those fanbois who deny "Back to Mac" was all about
    making OS-X more and mroe like IOS ?

    > isn't ready to ditch OS X staples like Finder, Mission
    > Control and multi-window multitasking just yet,


    Yeah, the "just yet" is the key here.

    Apple should have learned from lack of adoption of new Windows after XP,
    and how many people chose to stay with the last "pre back to Mac"
    version: Snow Leopard.

    Yet, they insist on pushing forwards with undesirable features and now,
    wanting OS-X to look and feel like early 1990s Lynx browser.

    > places)!! It simply proves Johnny Ives knows very little about user
    > interface design. Mac OS X should never go down that silly "flat"
    > route. :-(



    I have to wonder what will happen to Jonny Ive and how it will happen. A
    coup like what they did to Steve Jobs in 1980s ? Early retirement offer ?
     
    JF Mezei, May 6, 2014
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    In article <53685d6a$0$47951$c3e8da3$>, JF
    Mezei <> wrote:
    > On 14-05-05 22:00, Your Name wrote:
    > >
    > > The report calls it an "end-to-end" redesign, with some
    > > features inspired by iOS 7: similar toggle designs,

    >
    > Are there still those fanbois who deny "Back to Mac" was all about
    > making OS-X more and mroe like IOS ?
    >
    > > isn't ready to ditch OS X staples like Finder, Mission
    > > Control and multi-window multitasking just yet,

    >
    > Yeah, the "just yet" is the key here.
    >
    > Apple should have learned from lack of adoption of new Windows after XP,
    > and how many people chose to stay with the last "pre back to Mac"
    > version: Snow Leopard.
    >
    > Yet, they insist on pushing forwards with undesirable features and now,
    > wanting OS-X to look and feel like early 1990s Lynx browser.
    >
    > > places)!! It simply proves Johnny Ives knows very little about user
    > > interface design. Mac OS X should never go down that silly "flat"
    > > route. :-(

    >
    > I have to wonder what will happen to Jonny Ive and how it will happen. A
    > coup like what they did to Steve Jobs in 1980s ? Early retirement offer ?


    Stick him in a locked room with a 3D printer and let him print 3D
    "design" objects to his heart's content, but keep him well away from
    the software side.
     
    Your Name, May 6, 2014
    #3
  4. Your Name

    JF Mezei Guest

    On 14-05-06 00:08, Your Name wrote:

    > Stick him in a locked room with a 3D printer and let him print 3D
    > "design" objects to his heart's content, but keep him well away from
    > the software side.


    Tim Cook has been doing the exact opposite, expanding the field of power
    given to Ive and handing him the keys to the company. It appears he is
    to be the new Steve Jobs who has to approve everything that has anything
    to do with design.

    That is why I have to wonder how this will end.


    BTW, anyone know how to get the AppStore/Software Upgrade to stop
    nagging me about Mavericks upgrade ?
     
    JF Mezei, May 6, 2014
    #4
  5. Your Name

    Lewis Guest

    In message <060520141400503240%>
    Your Name <> wrote:

    > From PCAuthority.com.au ...


    > Major Mac OS X revamp could be unveiled next month
    > --------------------------------------------------
    > June's WWDC event to see unveiling of OS X Syrah with
    > "end-to-end" redesign, says report.


    Syrah is an internal code name. 10.10 is *not* named Syrah.

    > Apple has big plans for OS X, according to a new report
    > ­ and we're going to learn much more about them at next
    > month Worldwide Developers Conference.


    WOW! Big news! No one saw that coming for the last 12 months!

    > 9to5Mac claims that WWDC will see the unveiling of a
    > revamped Mac operating system, with the jump from the
    > current OS X Mavericks to OS X Syrah (as it's reportedly
    > codenamed) being similar to that of iOS 6 to iOS 7.


    WOW! STUNNING NEWS! NO ONE EVER SUSPECTED THIS! AND NO ONE HAS BEEN
    TALKING ABOUT THIS FOR MONTHS!

    > The codename "Syrah" comes from a Californian wine, by
    > the way. The trend of nods towards Apple's home state
    > began with OS X Mavericks, and will reportedly continue
    > with new versions of the desktop OS for the foreseeable
    > future: other terms for California landmarks like
    > Diablo, Mammoth and Yosemite have been trademarked by
    > the company, and it's possible that one of these could
    > end up being the final name for Mac OS 10.10. All will
    > doubtless be revealed at WWDC, which begins on 2nd June.


    God god, what a load of utter shit.

    First of all, the wine code names for OS X have been used for a long
    time for the internal builds. Second of all, the wine names have nothing
    to do with 1) California 2) Mavericks.

    > iOS 7 is P-I-G U-G-L-Y and boring (not to mention nearly unusable in
    > places)!!


    Well, ugly is a matter of opinion, though I disagree. Unusable,
    however, is not. There you are full of shit. Again. Still.

    > It simply proves Johnny Ives knows very little about user
    > interface design.


    Compared to whom?

    > Mac OS X should never go down that silly "flat" route. :-(


    Don't upgrade.

    --
    Sometimes the gods have no taste at all. They allow sunrises and sunsets
    in ridiculous pink and blue hues that any professional artist would
    dismiss as the work of some enthusiastic amateur who'd never looked at a
    real sunset. This was one of those sunrises. It was the kind of sunrise
    a man looks at and says, 'No real sunrise could paint the sky Surgical
    Appliance Pink.' Nevertheless, it was beautiful. --The Thief of Time
     
    Lewis, May 6, 2014
    #5
  6. Your Name

    Lewis Guest

    In message <53685d6a$0$47951$c3e8da3$>
    JF Mezei <> wrote:
    > Apple should have learned from lack of adoption of new Windows after XP,
    > and how many people chose to stay with the last "pre back to Mac"
    > version: Snow Leopard.


    Apple knows EXACTLY how many people have stayed on Snow Leopard.

    The fact is, the *vast* majority of users who could upgrade to Mavericks
    did.

    --
    And, while it was regarded as pretty good evidence of criminality to be
    living in a slum, for some reason owning a whole street of them merely
    got you invited to the very best social occasions.
     
    Lewis, May 6, 2014
    #6
  7. Your Name

    Lewis Guest

    In message <536865b9$0$47587$c3e8da3$>
    JF Mezei <> wrote:
    > BTW, anyone know how to get the AppStore/Software Upgrade to stop
    > nagging me about Mavericks upgrade ?


    Install it.

    --
    Would you say you worship Satan, or do you simply respect his
    no-nonsense approach to discipline?
     
    Lewis, May 6, 2014
    #7
  8. Your Name

    David Empson Guest

    Re: App Store reminders about Mavericks upgrade

    JF Mezei <> wrote:

    > BTW, anyone know how to get the AppStore/Software Upgrade to stop
    > nagging me about Mavericks upgrade ?


    Send feedback to Apple complaining about it and request a way to stop
    the notifications. Make sure you give a well reasoned argument why you
    don't want to upgrade to Mavericks.

    http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

    Better still, file a bug report.

    In the meantime, on Snow Leopard and Lion you can use Little Snitch to
    block "Noticeboard" from communicating with Apple's servers. It was
    added to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CommerceKit.framework by the
    recent "Mac App Store Update 1.0" (among other changes).

    There may be other ways to block this app, e.g. by modifying
    /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.noticeboard.plist so that it
    doesn't run automatically every 6 hours.

    See here for background:

    https://discussions.apple.com/message/25171309

    A different solution would be needed for Mountain Lion users (or
    Mavericks users in future) to block these sorts of notices, since these
    OS X versions have Notification Centre, and will be using a different
    mechanism to fetch the notices. Possibly "maspushagent" in the same
    CommerceKit.framework, as I don't see that one on Snow Leopard.


    A question for anyone who has an older Intel Mac model which is not
    supported by Mavericks (therefore is limited to Snow Leopard or Lion):
    are you getting the regular notification about Mavericks?

    I'm aware that App Store shows the advert for Mavericks on its Updates
    tab whether or not that Mac is able to run Mavericks, but I haven't had
    long enough with to an older model to test whether the regular
    notification is also appearing.

    --
    David Empson
     
    David Empson, May 6, 2014
    #8
  9. Your Name

    Lewis Guest

    Re: App Store reminders about Mavericks upgrade

    In message <1ll8jzm.qnsex452we2cN%>
    David Empson <> wrote:
    > A question for anyone who has an older Intel Mac model which is not
    > supported by Mavericks (therefore is limited to Snow Leopard or Lion):
    > are you getting the regular notification about Mavericks?


    I get the banner in the MAS app on my 10.7 machine that cannot install
    10.8 or 10.9, but I've never seen a notification on any machine about
    Mavericks.

    --
    Granny Weatherwax didn't hold with looking at the future, but now she
    could feel the future looking at her. She didn't like its expression at
    all.
     
    Lewis, May 6, 2014
    #9
  10. On 5/5/14, 10:00 PM, Your Name wrote:
    >
    > From PCAuthority.com.au ...
    >
    > Major Mac OS X revamp could be unveiled next month
    > --------------------------------------------------
    > June's WWDC event to see unveiling of OS X Syrah with
    > "end-to-end" redesign, says report.
    >
    > Apple has big plans for OS X, according to a new report
    > ­ and we're going to learn much more about them at next
    > month Worldwide Developers Conference.
    >
    > 9to5Mac claims that WWDC will see the unveiling of a
    > revamped Mac operating system, with the jump from the
    > current OS X Mavericks to OS X Syrah (as it's reportedly
    > codenamed) being similar to that of iOS 6 to iOS 7.
    >
    > The report calls it an "end-to-end" redesign, with some
    > features inspired by iOS 7: similar toggle designs,
    > sharper window corners, more white space, "more defined
    > icons across the system". However, it says that Apple
    > isn't ready to ditch OS X staples like Finder, Mission
    > Control and multi-window multitasking just yet, so OS X
    > will remain distinct from its mobile counterpart.
    >
    > The codename "Syrah" comes from a Californian wine, by
    > the way. The trend of nods towards Apple's home state
    > began with OS X Mavericks, and will reportedly continue
    > with new versions of the desktop OS for the foreseeable
    > future: other terms for California landmarks like
    > Diablo, Mammoth and Yosemite have been trademarked by
    > the company, and it's possible that one of these could
    > end up being the final name for Mac OS 10.10. All will
    > doubtless be revealed at WWDC, which begins on 2nd June.
    >
    > <http://mobile.pcauthority.com.au/Article.aspx?CIID=384477&type=News>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > iOS 7 is P-I-G U-G-L-Y and boring (not to mention nearly unusable in
    > places)!! It simply proves Johnny Ives knows very little about user
    > interface design. Mac OS X should never go down that silly "flat"
    > route. :-(
    >


    This "end-to-end" redesign sounds largely cosmetic!

    --
    However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.
    - Winston Churchill
     
    Travis Bickle, May 6, 2014
    #10
  11. Your Name

    David Empson Guest

    Re: App Store reminders about Mavericks upgrade

    Lewis <> wrote:

    > In message <1ll8jzm.qnsex452we2cN%>
    > David Empson <> wrote:
    > > A question for anyone who has an older Intel Mac model which is not
    > > supported by Mavericks (therefore is limited to Snow Leopard or Lion):
    > > are you getting the regular notification about Mavericks?

    >
    > I get the banner in the MAS app on my 10.7 machine that cannot install
    > 10.8 or 10.9, but I've never seen a notification on any machine about
    > Mavericks.


    Thanks. That is what I hoped would be the case.

    --
    David Empson
     
    David Empson, May 7, 2014
    #11
  12. Your Name

    Davoud Guest

    Your Name:
    > The codename "Syrah" comes from a Californian wine, by
    > the way...


    Bzzzzt! I hate to bust anybody's pretentious ass, but the word "Syrah"
    comes to English from French, who got it from the Persian "Shiraz," the
    likely origin of the grape that produces Shiraz/Syrah-type wines.

    --
    I agree with almost everything that you have said and almost everything that
    you will say in your entire life.

    usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
     
    Davoud, May 7, 2014
    #12
  13. Your Name

    D.F. Manno Guest

    Re: App Store reminders about Mavericks upgrade

    In article <1ll8jzm.qnsex452we2cN%>,
    (David Empson) wrote:

    > A question for anyone who has an older Intel Mac model which is not
    > supported by Mavericks (therefore is limited to Snow Leopard or Lion):
    > are you getting the regular notification about Mavericks?


    Not on the MacBook limited to Lion nor the iMac that can run Mavericks.

    --
    D.F. Manno |
    GOP delenda est!
     
    D.F. Manno, May 9, 2014
    #13
  14. Your Name

    David Empson Guest

    Re: App Store reminders about Mavericks upgrade

    D.F. Manno <> wrote:

    > In article <1ll8jzm.qnsex452we2cN%>,
    > (David Empson) wrote:
    >
    > > A question for anyone who has an older Intel Mac model which is not
    > > supported by Mavericks (therefore is limited to Snow Leopard or Lion):
    > > are you getting the regular notification about Mavericks?

    >
    > Not on the MacBook limited to Lion nor the iMac that can run Mavericks.


    If your iMac is running Snow Leopard, Lion or Mountain Lion, and has all
    software updates installed (particularly "Mac App Store Update 1.0"),
    and you haven't done anything to block the connection to Apple's servers
    which are used to fetch this notification, then I would expect the iMac
    to be displaying the notice regularly.

    --
    David Empson
     
    David Empson, May 10, 2014
    #14
  15. Your Name

    D.F. Manno Guest

    Re: App Store reminders about Mavericks upgrade

    In article <1llfhjc.101golcth76icN%>,
    (David Empson) wrote:

    > D.F. Manno <> wrote:
    > > (David Empson) wrote:
    > >
    > > > A question for anyone who has an older Intel Mac model which is not
    > > > supported by Mavericks (therefore is limited to Snow Leopard or Lion):
    > > > are you getting the regular notification about Mavericks?

    > >
    > > Not on the MacBook limited to Lion nor the iMac that can run Mavericks.

    >
    > If your iMac is running Snow Leopard


    It is.

    > Lion or Mountain Lion, and has all
    > software updates installed (particularly "Mac App Store Update 1.0"),


    It does.

    > and you haven't done anything to block the connection to Apple's servers
    > which are used to fetch this notification


    I haven't.

    > then I would expect the iMac to be displaying the notice regularly.


    It isn't.

    --
    D.F. Manno |
    GOP delenda est!
     
    D.F. Manno, May 10, 2014
    #15
  16. Your Name

    David Empson Guest

    Re: App Store reminders about Mavericks upgrade

    D.F. Manno <> wrote:

    > In article <1llfhjc.101golcth76icN%>,
    > (David Empson) wrote:
    >
    > > D.F. Manno <> wrote:
    > > > (David Empson) wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > A question for anyone who has an older Intel Mac model which is not
    > > > > supported by Mavericks (therefore is limited to Snow Leopard or Lion):
    > > > > are you getting the regular notification about Mavericks?
    > > >
    > > > Not on the MacBook limited to Lion nor the iMac that can run Mavericks.

    > >
    > > If your iMac is running Snow Leopard

    >
    > It is.
    >
    > > Lion or Mountain Lion, and has all
    > > software updates installed (particularly "Mac App Store Update 1.0"),

    >
    > It does.
    >
    > > and you haven't done anything to block the connection to Apple's servers
    > > which are used to fetch this notification

    >
    > I haven't.
    >
    > > then I would expect the iMac to be displaying the notice regularly.

    >
    > It isn't.


    Curious. Everyone else in that situation seems to be complaining about
    the regular reminders to upgrade to Mavericks. I wonder what makes your
    system special so you aren't getting them.

    --
    David Empson
     
    David Empson, May 11, 2014
    #16
  17. Your Name

    JF Mezei Guest

    Re: App Store reminders about Mavericks upgrade

    On 14-05-11 16:12, David Empson wrote:

    > Curious. Everyone else in that situation seems to be complaining about
    > the regular reminders to upgrade to Mavericks. I wonder what makes your
    > system special so you aren't getting them.


    These reminders came with the last update to the App Store application
    on Snow Leopard. I suspect it was the only goal of that update: annoy
    users with the mavericks warnings.

    Interestingly, when the warning pops up, there is no App Store
    application running.
     
    JF Mezei, May 11, 2014
    #17
  18. Your Name

    David Empson Guest

    Re: App Store reminders about Mavericks upgrade

    JF Mezei <> wrote:

    > On 14-05-11 16:12, David Empson wrote:
    >
    > > Curious. Everyone else in that situation seems to be complaining about
    > > the regular reminders to upgrade to Mavericks. I wonder what makes your
    > > system special so you aren't getting them.

    >
    > These reminders came with the last update to the App Store application
    > on Snow Leopard. I suspect it was the only goal of that update: annoy
    > users with the mavericks warnings.


    As I noted up-thread, it is a general purpose "Noticeboard" tool which
    Apple added to the private framework CommerceKit on Macs which don't
    have Notification Centre but do have App Store (i.e. Snow Leopard and
    Lion). It runs automatically every six hours. I expect its purpose is a
    MAS-specific notification scheme which is similar in appearance to
    notices displayed by Notification Centre in later systems.

    On Mountain Lion and later, App Store presents notifications about
    available updates. It appears Apple hasn't implemented that feature (via
    Noticeboard) on Snow Leopard and Lion, and so far have only used it to
    display regular reminders about upgrading to Mavericks.

    The details from Lewis suggest that it doesn't display the upgrade
    notice on Macs which aren't able to upgrade to Mavericks, but D.F. Manno
    has one case of a Mac which isn't displaying it even though it could
    upgrade to Mavericks. I'd like more data to better understand the
    pattern or why there might be exceptions.

    From when I recall seeing the notices, they didn't come up every six
    hours, so the mechanism probably remembers when it last displayed the
    notice and delays until until a reasonable time has passed, e.g. by
    keeping a file on each computer noting when it was displayed.

    I expect the message itself is fetched from Apple's servers rather than
    being built into the framework (I can't see text in its resources), and
    the decision about when to display the message is probably also made on
    Apple's servers, therefore they won't appear on a Mac which has no
    Internet connection (or if Noticeboard is blocked from accessing Apple's
    servers, e.g. using Little Snitch, as noted by people in the Apple
    Discussions thread I cited earlier).

    > Interestingly, when the warning pops up, there is no App Store
    > application running.


    That's not interesting. Many features of App Store are implemented by
    background services: checking for available app updates (which are shown
    on the App Store dock icon), downloading and installing apps. Most or
    all of this is handled by the "storeagent" daemon, with the App Store
    application just supplying the user interface.

    --
    David Empson
     
    David Empson, May 12, 2014
    #18
  19. Your Name

    Lewis Guest

    Re: App Store reminders about Mavericks upgrade

    In message <1llhi5y.1xwlp7t1wwm5fN%>
    David Empson <> wrote:
    > D.F. Manno <> wrote:


    >> In article <1llfhjc.101golcth76icN%>,
    >> (David Empson) wrote:
    >>
    >> > D.F. Manno <> wrote:
    >> > > (David Empson) wrote:
    >> > >
    >> > > > A question for anyone who has an older Intel Mac model which is not
    >> > > > supported by Mavericks (therefore is limited to Snow Leopard or Lion):
    >> > > > are you getting the regular notification about Mavericks?
    >> > >
    >> > > Not on the MacBook limited to Lion nor the iMac that can run Mavericks.
    >> >
    >> > If your iMac is running Snow Leopard

    >>
    >> It is.
    >>
    >> > Lion or Mountain Lion, and has all
    >> > software updates installed (particularly "Mac App Store Update 1.0"),

    >>
    >> It does.
    >>
    >> > and you haven't done anything to block the connection to Apple's servers
    >> > which are used to fetch this notification

    >>
    >> I haven't.
    >>
    >> > then I would expect the iMac to be displaying the notice regularly.

    >>
    >> It isn't.


    > Curious. Everyone else in that situation seems to be complaining about
    > the regular reminders to upgrade to Mavericks. I wonder what makes your
    > system special so you aren't getting them.


    It's not special. My 10.7 laptop has never displayed a notification for
    updating to Mavericks that I can recall.

    --
    'Pardon me for living, I'm sure.' NO-ONE GETS PARDONED FOR LIVING.
     
    Lewis, May 12, 2014
    #19
  20. Your Name

    Patty Winter Guest

    Re: App Store reminders about Mavericks upgrade

    In article <1llj02f.10y915pxy3bN%>,
    David Empson <> wrote:
    >
    >The details from Lewis suggest that it doesn't display the upgrade
    >notice on Macs which aren't able to upgrade to Mavericks, but D.F. Manno
    >has one case of a Mac which isn't displaying it even though it could
    >upgrade to Mavericks. I'd like more data to better understand the
    >pattern or why there might be exceptions.


    Mid-2011 iMac (just before iMacs started shipping with Lion), 10.6.8,
    I've seen the notice 2-3 times in the past few weeks.


    Patty
     
    Patty Winter, May 12, 2014
    #20
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Similar Threads
  1. Wayne Youngman
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    446
    Darthy
    Feb 9, 2004
  2. Wayne Youngman
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    337
    Wayne Youngman
    Feb 2, 2004
  3. Folk
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    373
  4. zoizoi

    Satellite Pro A120-189 XP OS BIOS not showing

    zoizoi, Sep 16, 2008, in forum: Motherboard General Discussion
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    543
    zoizoi
    Sep 16, 2008
  5. Wgwinn

    Looking for pci-x motherboard LGA775 cheap.

    Wgwinn, Dec 29, 2008, in forum: Motherboard General Discussion
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,863
    Wgwinn
    Dec 29, 2008
  6. Liz
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    345
    Ura Dippschit
    Aug 4, 2006
  7. fbsduser

    Which is better (for testing amcient x86 OS's)

    fbsduser, Apr 20, 2011, in forum: Motherboard Purchase Recommendations
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,066
    fbsduser
    Apr 20, 2011
  8. Paul Sture
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    305
    Paul Sture
    Jun 20, 2011
Loading...