    only I had known that the last update to App store was only for that, I
    would have refused it. (but then again, you get nagged about that update
    all the time).

    JF Mezei, May 12, 2014

  2. Your Name

    JF Mezei Guest

    If, in the nagging by the App Store, Apple provided a means to provide
    feedback on why we are not upgrading, then I would happily spend time to
    enter my toughts on the matter.

    JF Mezei, May 12, 2014

  3. Your Name

    bill van Guest

    Model Identifier: iMac10,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2

    Ditto, I've seen it several times in recent weeks.

    bill van, May 12, 2014
  4. Your Name

    David Empson Guest

    Thanks for the updates. One more data point myself: a VMware Fusion VM
    running Lion showed the notification after I had left it running six
    hours (long enough for the Noticeboard service I mentioned to get
    launched automatically).

    This one is interesting because it has a model identifier of
    "VMware7,1", which clearly isn't a standard Apple one. Either Apple
    isn't checking the model identifier, or they know to include VMware ones
    in the notice, or they assume all unknown identifiers can be upgraded,
    or they are checking for known older models which can't upgrade.

    Through observing what happened in my VM I've found a file of interest.
    This should appear on Snow Leopard and Lion systems which have the Mac
    App Store Update 1.0 installed, and have displayed the notice.

    Have a look in /Library/Preferences for a file called
    "com.apple.noticeboard.plist".

    It is a binary-encoded property list file, which is a little tricky to
    read unless you know how to use the right tools. BBEdit and TextWrangler
    can read them in text form, Xcode shows it in structured form, or there
    is a command line tool to convert it to text format: copy the file to
    your desktop so you aren't fiddling with the original, then use this
    command in Terminal:

    plutil -convert xml1 ~/Desktop/com.apple.noticeboard.plist

    Here is what it contained on my Lion VM after the first time I saw the
    notice appear and I hit the "Not Now" button:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
    "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>com.apple.notification.mavericks.lion</key>
    <dict>
    <key>dismissalCount</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>lastDismissedDate</key>
    <date>2014-05-12T06:36:01Z</date>
    </dict>
    <key>identifiers</key>
    <array>
    <string>com.apple.notification.mavericks.lion</string>
    </array>
    </dict>
    </plist>

    Note the "dismissalCount" (which I expect is incremented each time) and
    the "lastDismissedDate", which is obvious and should be used as a
    reference point for when to display the notification again.

    I expect there will be a slight difference in the Snow Leopard version
    of the file: the first <key> is is probably
    com.apple.notification.mavericks.snow.leopard (or similar).

    One other item of interest is what is in this file (if it exists at all)
    on a Mac running Snow Leopard or Lion which has Mac App Store Update 1.0
    installed but which has NOT had the notification to upgrade to
    Mavericks, particuarly if it is a model which cannot upgrade to
    Mavericks.

    I'm wondering if it even gets far enough to create the preference file,
    or if it puts something different in there, possibly even going as far
    as disabling subsequent checks for the notification. If so, that would
    be an easy way for other people to disable it if they are seeing the
    notification, without having to modify parts of the system that might
    have other uses.

    David Empson, May 12, 2014
  5. Your Name

    David Empson Guest

    In an earlier post you said you had a Mac running 10.7 which was not
    able to upgrade to 10.8 or 10.9. Is this the same computer? If so, I
    would not expect that machine to display the notification, as long as
    the server-side mechanism is supplied enough info about the computer to
    suppress the notice (the model identifier and current OS X version
    should be all it needs), and Apple isn't being lazy.

    The Mac D.F. Manno is talking about _can_ upgrade to Mavericks, so I'm
    trying to understand why it isn't displaying the notification, when
    every such machine I've seen does display it.

    David Empson, May 12, 2014
  6. Your Name

    Lewis Guest

    Neither would I, but some people are saying their 10.7 machines that
    cannot run Mavericks *are* showing the notification.

    It is possible that the reason I don't see it is that the 10.7 machine
    is not on for 6 hours at a time. (It's an old Macbook that no longer
    works with a battery, so any time it is unplugged it shuts off).

    Lewis, May 12, 2014
  7. Your Name

    David Empson Guest

    I haven't noticed any such comments yet. Can you recall where you saw
    them?
    I agree. Given my observations so far, it is reasonable to assume that
    if the machine is shut down or restarted before its uptime reaches six
    hours, it won't run Noticeboard automatically, and if that is the
    consistent pattern, the notification will never appear.

    David Empson, May 12, 2014
  8. Your Name

    D.F. Manno Guest

    One of us jinxed it -- I got my first notice today.

    D.F. Manno, May 12, 2014
  9. Your Name

    JF Mezei Guest

    On my xserve, there is a new more virulent Mavericks nag. The warning
    has only one button "Details". You cannot just close it wth "dismiss" or
    "close" or "later".

    JF Mezei, May 13, 2014
  10. Your Name

    David Empson Guest

    I've seen comments that after you have clicked the "Not Now" button in
    the original version of the notification many times, it eventually stops
    offering you that button, only the "Details" button.

    Have a look at /Library/Preferences/com.apple.noticeboard.plist and see
    how it compares to the one I posted earlier. Here is another copy to
    save having to hunt for it:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
    "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>com.apple.notification.mavericks.lion</key>
    <dict>
    <key>dismissalCount</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>lastDismissedDate</key>
    <date>2014-05-12T06:36:01Z</date>
    </dict>
    <key>identifiers</key>
    <array>
    <string>com.apple.notification.mavericks.lion</string>
    </array>
    </dict>
    </plist>

    There will be some differences such as the first key, as you are running
    Snow Leopard and I was testing on Lion.

    I expect your "dismissalCount" has reached some critical threshold.

    David Empson, May 13, 2014