Run AthlonXP 2400+ T-Bred at 200MHz FSB to utilize PC3200 RAM?

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Jonathan A., Aug 9, 2004.

  1. Jonathan A.

    Jonathan A. Guest

    Hi,

    Not sure how much of an overclocking question this is, but I figure this
    group would be clued about this situation...

    I've been considering a memory upgrade and am having trouble deciding,
    based on researching web/newsgroup articles, whether what I have in mind
    makes sense.

    I have an MSI KT6V-LSR Mobo (yeah... it's el cheapo) which supports
    400MHz FSB (on paper, at least), an AthlonXP 2400+ T-Bred running at
    the standard 133FSB*15, and 256 MB of vanilla Kingston PC2100 RAM.

    I have my eye on 512MB of OCZ enhanced latency PC3200 RAM. In order
    to actually take advantage of the 400MHz frequency of this memory,
    I presume I'd need to set the FSB to 200MHz, which would yield an
    effective freq of 400MHz on Socket-A with AthlonXP, right?

    If that's correct, I have two questions for which I haven't yet found
    definitive answers.

    1) Would it be safe (and reasonable) to set the clock/multiplier to
    200*10 for the 2400+ T-Bred on this Mobo? (I seem to find differing
    opinions on this.)

    2) My main goal is to get all the performance I can for gaming on a
    Radeon 9800pro. Would there be a worthwhile performance boost on this
    system going from vanilla PC2100 to the low latency OCZ PC3200? (Maybe
    it makes more cost/performance sense to just throw another 256MB of the
    vanilla Kingston at it <shrug>).

    Any thoughts/opinions/pointers welcome. (Especially welcome would be
    pointers to well written websites that help explain the relationships
    between CPU/RAM and FSB speed.)

    Thanks,
    Jonathan

    Jonathan A., Aug 9, 2004

  2. A few things to keep in mind.
    133 MHz FSB x 2 = 266
    What this is, is.
    133 MHz for the rising edge of the clock
    133 MHz for the falling edge of the clock
    @ least that's what I got when I e-mailed AMD on this question.
    I asked what the true FSB was.

    On my system, 2200+ I can get as far as 170 + but I don't remember
    how much over it left me go before it became unstable.
    In other words, you probably won't be able to hit the (DDR400) Mark.
    the Barton core I think is the only chip AMD has that hits it, without
    going 64 Bit.
    Your best bet is to get PC2700 (DDR333)
    Kingmax is very nice for the price.
    But you could also go OCZ, which I hear is very good ram too.
    If you want to go for it anyway, do it.
    Who knows, maybe sometime down the road you might upgrade to another cpu
    that has a 200 x 2 = 400 FSB cpu @ stock.
    Then it's still good to go with (DDR400) it won't hurt anything to run it at
    lesser speed anyway.

    Denny. :) ;-)

    If I put (DDR400) in my A7N8X board, and set the ram to it's default, my
    board won't even boot.

    Dennis E Strausser Jr, Aug 10, 2004

  3. Jonathan A.

    Jonathan A. Guest

    Yeah... I think so. I could swear I had seen people saying they were
    running XP 2400+ chips at 200MHz FSB, but maybe not.
    I probably will. After all... it's only 15.00 more at Newegg to get the
    OCZ PC3200 over OCZ PC2700 with similar timings. Then if I ever decide I
    want to max this board out with a Barton, at least my memory will be in
    sync with it.

    I'll have a look into Kingmax as well.
    Hmm... it should run 400, no? Is it an older model? According to
    <http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7n8x/overview.htm>, the
    ones that were built before v2.0 can have BIOS flashed to support
    FSB 400. Maybe you need to update.

    Anyhow... thanks for the input.

    ciao,
    Jonathan

    Jonathan A., Aug 11, 2004
  4. Jonathan A.

    Wes Newell Guest

    I've ran my 2100+ at 215MHz, so you shouldn't have a fsb problem at
    200MHz.
    FSB connects the CPU to the chipset. The ram bus is totally seperate. It
    connects the ram to the chipset.
    And they fed you a load of crap. The leading and trailing edge of the
    cycle is all within 1 cycle.:)

    At least when I nailed them on it, they admitted that the larger number
    was only the "effective speed' and not the real speed.

    Wes Newell, Aug 11, 2004
  5. In a way, both is right.
    400 MHz would be the effective speed, or 333 or 266
    133 & 166
    200 for the new Bartons.
    The FSB is still half the effective speed x the multiplier.
    There's a way to figure this out without the multiplier, but I don't
    remember it.
    While on multi--- I'm set on 16.5

    Also, your answers are so dumb, it makes no sense @ all.
    If AMD agreed with you, you must've pressed them so hard, they just gave up
    and told you that you were right, just to shut you up.

    Ram & CPU FSB on AMD systems go hand in hand.
    I can run my Kingston Value Ram PC3200 under spech speed in my A7N8X board,
    but I can't run it in full 200 x 400 (DDR400)

    Denny. ;-) :)

    Dennis E Strausser Jr, Aug 11, 2004
  6. Jonathan A.

    andy Guest

    its should be ok depending on ur motherboard tbh

    i ran a xp2400+ in my nf7-s v2.0 at 200 fsb
    the good thing about my xp2400+ was it was an unlocked factory cpu, so could
    juggle the multiplier, the abit nf7-s has cpu/fsb divider dunno wether urs
    does.
    as for an asus a7n8x /me laughs at it not being able to run at 200mhz fsb

    i am now runnin an xp2500+ mobile cpu like a lot of people now at 2.5ghz
    its a sweet cpu

    andy, Aug 11, 2004
  7. Jonathan A.

    Wes Newell Guest

    No, only I am right.
    Effective compared to what? P4, not hardly. Buses are measured by clock
    speed in MHz. Data (which you and AMD is reffering to is measured in
    bandwidth or Bps/bps, not mhz. See The Real Frontside Bus in link in sig
    line. Data rates aren't measured in MHz, and the bogus numbers are data
    rates. That's all they could be.
    So, the FSB of the P4E is 400MHz? Not. Another reason using effective
    speed is just bogus crap.
    What in the heck are youtalking about here.Figure what out? If you mean
    the FSB speed, it's real easy, see what you set it to.:)
    Perhaps it's more of the case of someone not being able to understand a
    logical answer.
    I wrote one email, and they replied once. I've posted it here several
    times over the last year and once within the last few days. I think you
    were in that thread. If not, I can post it again for you. Your assumptions
    are making an ass out of you. it appears that you know very little about
    the system buses.
    The ram bus doesn't even connect to the cpu on K7 systems. A far cry from
    hand in hand. And I know your board allows it to run at different speeds
    than the cpu or FSB.:)
    Is this supposed to be a question of how to do it?

    Wes Newell, Aug 11, 2004
  8. <Snip>

    Since when did I ever bring up the P4?
    400 MHz / 2 = 200 MHz
    The FSB of the Barton core.
    800 MHz / 2 = 400 MHz
    The FSB of the AMD 64 Chips.

    Want to talk P4?
    P4 works with a x 4 instead of a x 2
    100 x 4 = 400
    133 x 4 = 533,, well, not really, it's more like 133.25 or something.
    200 x 4 = 800
    Mine is set to 246 MHz (FSB)
    All parts in a pc must shake hands, other wise, it will become unstable.
    I can set a Divider with my P4, I think this is the reason I can set ram
    much higher
    on my P4.

    The 16.5 Multiplier is on my AMD Xp 2200+
    (FSB = 132) one below stock.
    2178 MHz is my speed.
    I'v noticed that some benchmark tests are better on my AMD then on my Intel.

    Unlocked, I didn't know it was till I started playing with the bios a little
    bit more.

    What Ever.
    I just started adding to http://emusega-forever.com /
    http://www.emusega-forever.com