Runaway on Matrox 450

Discussion in 'Matrox' started by Rene, Mar 20, 2008.

  1. Rene

    Rene Guest

    Hello to all,

    Last week I came in a Toy store and saw a real bargain, a combi box of
    Runaway I and II for only 5 euro's, I did not hesitate (haven't played it
    yet).
    I have a friend who does not often play games but he does like some sort of
    adventure games, when there is horror in them or a certain kind of humour.
    He will be celebrating his birthday in a couple of months and I think he may
    like the humour and puzzles in these two games so I am considering buying a
    second box to send to him.

    However... one problem. Because he does not play games very often (usually
    he only plays them when he stays over at my place) but does use his computer
    for 2D apps where image quality is of great importance extensively, he owns
    a Matrox G450 card (not that it makes any difference anymore in 2D quality
    when You use DVI but it did when he bought it and he does not intend to buy
    another card because it still functions perfectly for his usual computer
    jobs), not very good when it comes to 3D. The system requirements on the box
    say "32 MB video card, capable of 1024*768, 16 bit color". Also DirectX9 is
    demanded though I hugely doubt whether this game uses any specific DirectX9
    features, being mostly 2D. He does have a 32MB videocard capable of that
    resolution/color depth but a very bad one when it comes to 3D.

    My question is, has anybody owning that specific card ever
    succesful-/pleasantly played these games? 5 Euro's are not a huge amount but
    shipping to his place will make it more expensive and spending money on
    something that will turn out to be useless is always a pity.

    If You played it on any other card, I will enjoy reading Your opinions on
    the game itself as well ;-).

    Thank You very much in advance for all comments!
    Yours sincerely,
    Rene

    Rene, Mar 20, 2008

  2. Rene

    mick Guest

    Does he know you are thinking of buying him these games?
    If so couldn`t he download and try the demos first? I`ve played both game,
    albeit not specifically that card, but with quit a low spec machine with
    crappy SiS onboard gfx and both ran smoothly with no problems. They aren`t
    very demanding games.

    mick

    mick, Mar 20, 2008

  3. Rene

    Rene Guest

    The idea is not bad, however, I would very much like it to remain a surprise
    'till he looks in the mailbox and finds the games there ;-).
    Thank You very much for Your reply Mick!

    I do not expect any SiS graphics adapter to be better than a Matrox (I once
    owned one like You (not onboard but a card), boy was that worthless at
    rendering nice 3D graphics), so I think I am going to the store to check
    whether they still have a box that I can send to my friend.

    Yours sincerely,
    Rene

    Rene, Mar 21, 2008