    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Dave

    Dave, Dec 27, 2012

  2. AFAIK, the t4x line uses PATA drives - not the newer SATA interface.

    Marc Auslander, Dec 27, 2012

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Aahh, Well, thanks for this bit of info. Saved me some trouble. Do you
    know if there is any liklihood of problems installing a new drive that is
    ten times larger than the original? I heard somewhere that it might be a
    problem to go with a disc that large, which is why I ask. Would rather avoid
    problems if I can...

    Much appreciated...

    Dave

    Dave, Dec 27, 2012
  4. Dave

    George Guest

    You're right to be concerned. The T43 series uses an SATA ->
    PATA bridge which can cause the infamous 2010 BIOS error. Here's
    the summary of the problem, courtesy ThinkWiki:
    http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_non-ThinkPad_hard_disks
    (mind the wrap)

    Short version: Know before you upgrade.

    George, Dec 28, 2012
  5. Dave

    lol Guest

    I have a saved search on Ebay for Seagate Momentus 5400.3 ST91608 - which is
    one of the drives known to work.
    But they keep coming up at £60+
    Since Morgans have T61s (which ARE easily upgradeable) at around £150 it
    doesn't really seem worth the hassle
    Laurence

    lol, Dec 28, 2012
  6. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Well, I am looking at a 500Gb drive
    on Amazon put out by Lonovo specifically for Thinkpads, so we'll see what
    that buys me. :) Maybe, I'll get lucky.

    Dave

    Dave, Dec 28, 2012
  7. Dave

    lol Guest

    Hope it works - "Thinkpads" covers quite a wide range of very different
    hardware and interfaces.
    Fingers crossed!

    lol, Dec 29, 2012
  8. Dave

    Guest Guest

    If it's SATA it will not work, the T43 uses an IDE connector. It will appear to the OS like
    SATA because it converts the IDE/PATA interface to SATA, but as far as I can tell there's no
    way to add a SATA drive in with the exception of a bay that can convert PATA to SATA (because
    the ultrabay in the T43 remains PATA while the drive is a SATA interface with a PATA connector.

    It's annoying, I know.

    Joe

    Guest, Dec 30, 2012