S-video much worse than VGA for LCD projectors????

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by HH, Dec 16, 2003.

  1. HH

    HH Guest

    This is my first experience setting up a LCD projector (older NEC LT85
    model)

    I'm using a gforce4 MX that came in a new Dell Optiplex. It has DVI
    out (with a VGA adapter) and S-video.

    I first set the projector with the VGA cabled from the Dell and got a
    great, sharp, huge image on the wall. I was really excited.

    Than I hooked the Dell up to the analog monitor, went out and bought
    an s-video cable to connect between the Dell and the projector, and
    started trying to get both images up.

    I got it to go into Clone mode, but the s-video image from the
    projector was just AWFUL. Grainy and black and white.

    Installed the 53.03 drivers, found the setting for the secondary/TV
    display to switch over to s-video input instead of composite. Now I
    get color from the projector, but the image is still really blurry.

    I'm pretty sure I've exhausted all my options, I have all the current
    software and drivers that I think I need. I'm getting resigned to the
    fact that the s-video/TV out to the projector is just going to be at
    this bad resolution. I can just barely read small text on the screen.

    Any ideas?

    HH, Dec 16, 2003

  2. HH

    J.Clarke Guest

    Get a dual-head board. TV-quality video does not have resolution
    adequate for use as a data display. If you want to run both the
    projector and another monitor and get good quality on both you need a
    board with two VGA outputs. Nearly all current boards have this
    capability.

    J.Clarke, Dec 16, 2003

  3. HH

    HH Guest

    What if I replace the analog monitor with something like a 15" LCD TV
    with s-video input? Then I could run the cards VGA to the projector.

    Would the 15" TV be readable as a monitor from 3 to 4 feet away?

    HH, Dec 16, 2003
  4. Hi

    Yes S-video is much worse than VGA (and RGB).
    VGA have separate Red, Green, Blue and sync cables.
    S-Video have a combined Luminans-sync cable and a combined colour-cable
    (red-blue I think).
    Don't know why they "invented" S-video despite the much better "RGB" allredy
    was at the market :-(

    Per

    Per Lindström, Dec 16, 2003
  5. HH

    HamMan Guest

    S-video was 'invented' to combine the 3 composite plugs for Video and stereo
    sound.

    Graphics card output seems to vary greatly, and its subject to all sorts of
    interference from amps or speakers.

    HamMan, Dec 16, 2003
  6. HH

    J.Clarke Guest

    No. You might be able to make out some text if you squint real hard and
    use the lowest available resolution setting, but it's not something
    you'd want to use every day.

    J.Clarke, Dec 16, 2003
  7. HH

    J.Clarke Guest

    That's interesting considering that S-video carries no sound. In fact
    S-video splits out the luminance and chrominance signals which yields an
    improvement in image quality when compared to composite video that has
    the two combined with a frequency overlap.

    And the reason it exists is that it can be processed by a conventional
    television receiver with little modification and can be easily converted
    to composite video with a simple, inexpensive adapter, whereas RGB would
    require that the receiver redesigned.
    Which is irrelevant given that NTSC or PAL video simply does not have a
    lot of resolution.

    J.Clarke, Dec 16, 2003
  8. S-Video is a much better quality video connection over older RCA. It was
    originally designed to be used in entertainment centers and the fact that
    video cards now have it is an extra. It is best used if you are going to
    output a presentation with big text or a movie or a game to that screen.
    Then there would be no problems with the video.

    --
    Robert Pendell

    ICQ# 15670441
    AIM: shinji2570