    (combined as one 64 MB PC100 module and two 32 MB modules of PC66 all
    running at 66 MHz or the AGP bus speed as noted in the Tyan manual)?

    Thanks, Dave

    Dave, Sep 7, 2004

  2. I assume you want to put a FSB100 cpu on the board? In that case it
    depends on what programs you want to run. Most socket7 CPUs are already
    bandwidth-starved which is not made better by combining them with 66MHz
    RAM instead of 100MHz RAM. OTOH if the system starts swapping with only
    64MB then 128MB of (slower) RAM will still give a better total performance.
    The S1590 does have 1MB L2 cache so maybe PC66 RAM is not so bad in that
    case.

    Just put everything together and try which will run faster, we can't
    give you any definitive answer.

    André

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9_Janz?=, Sep 8, 2004

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Thanks for the reply. Sorry about the lack of extra information regarding
    the CPU. It will have a K6-2 500 and I'll be using a VooDoo3 3000 for the
    video card.

    Dave

    Dave, Sep 8, 2004
  4. Now that CPU is nearly as bandwidth starved as possible (apart from
    maybe K6-2 550) but as I said *maybe* the 1MB L2 cache will help. At
    least the additional 64MB are cached (not like on Intel TX chipset).
    I think it really depends on the applications you want to run on it.
    Give it a try with 64MB and if you experience swapping add the other 64MB.

    http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/19980731/socket7-02.html
    "VIA's MVP3 chipset allows you to use a synchronous or asynchronous mode
    for your memory, which means that the main memory runs at a lower bus
    speed than the CPU and the important L2 cache. You can run your PC-66
    SDRAM or EDO at 66 MHz while the 2nd level cache and CPU runs at 100 MHz
    (memory asynchronously) or run the memory synchronously at 83 or 75 MHz.
    This is particularly interesting for all users who want to upgrade, but
    don't want to buy new memory again. In case of asynchronously running 66
    MHz EDO RAM you will see about 80-90%, whilst 66 MHz PC66 SDRAM will
    offer you 85-97% of the performance achieved with PC100 SDRAM running
    synchronously at 100 MHz."

    So you will lose at most 15% of performance.

    André

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9_Janz?=, Sep 9, 2004
  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Thanks for the extra info. I'll run a benchmark to try and determine if
    there's a noticeable difference between the two configurations.

    Dave

    Dave, Sep 10, 2004