S1590 upgrade help please

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by Eric, Oct 25, 2004.

  1. Eric

    Eric Guest

    Greetings,
    I'm in the middle of trying to upgrade a family member's machine from
    old-time movie hardware to something not quite so old. The machine
    originally had Win98SE running on an Abit IT5H with a K6 233, 128 MB ram,
    and an ATI Rage II+. The machine ran fine although it was a little slow.

    I'm now trying to install a Tyan s1590 with a K62-500 and 128 MB of PC66.
    To begin the upgrade, I first removed all devices from device manager and
    then removed the remaining ones from the HKey_Local Machine/Enum branch of
    the registry that device manager would not let me remove, i.e., the hard
    drive controllers. The Win98 directory from the install CD was copied to
    the hard drive so that it could be accessed without worrying about the CD
    not being initially detected. I then swapped the hardware over (it tested
    fine with a bootable SuSE Linux CD that I have).

    Win98SE will boot fine in safe mode. However, booting in normal mode takes
    a long time even after all the hardware was detected (there are no obvious
    conflicts in device manager). The normal mode boot time is about 20
    minutes. I performed a logged boot and examined the bootlog.txt file with
    Bootlog Analyzer. However, this program indicates that the processes
    recorded in the bootlog.txt file completed in about 3 minutes. Clearly,
    there's something else going on with the machine.

    Other components in the system are:
    US Robotics 33.6 ISA modem jumpered for com2, irq3
    SoundBlaster 16 ISA PNP
    The PC66 is actually composed of one 64MB module of PC100 and two 32MB
    modules of PC66 running at the AGP 66MHz jumper setting.

    I also have a VooDoo 3 3000D to install in it once I get the rest of the
    hardware working (I thought that the motherboard upgrade might go more
    smoothly if I left the old video card installed).

    I would greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions on getting this
    system to work correctly.

    Thanks, Eric

    Eric, Oct 25, 2004

  2. Eric

    Eric Guest

    I've recently discovered that there are multiple screens worth of "alias"
    hardware listed in Device Manager when viewing the I/O addresses in use
    under Computer Properties, View Resources. I don't know if this might be a
    cause or a symptom of the 20 minute boot problem or if it's even related.
    Though, as I noted above, there are no conflicting devices in Device Manager
    and the system seems to work reasonably well once it boots. It just takes
    20 minutes.

    Eric

    Eric, Oct 26, 2004

  3. I wouldn't have gone for a board quite as old as an S1590; my choice would have been the S1830
    (which I still run).

    It has the classic AT form factor but allows a CPU up to an Intel Pentium III 1000 MHz, and up to
    1024 MB of PC100 RAM. I'm running it in a Gateway/2000 case that originally came with an old
    486/33. The board has 1 AGP, 4 PCI, and 4 ISA slots, which gives you quite a bit more flexibility
    to mix old and new components.

    Although nobody still sells the board commercially, the board shows up on eBay from time to time;
    often with the CPU and RAM included.

    Larry Scholnick, Oct 26, 2004
  4. Eric

    Eric Guest

    Larry,
    Thanks for your comments regarding the S1830. I had a spare K6-2 500 so the
    s1590 seemed like a logical choice. It would be great if you had
    suggestions regarding my upgrade protocol which I've successfully used in
    the past on other boards but which doesn't seem to be working out so well
    with this particular board.

    Thanks again, Eric

    Eric, Oct 27, 2004
  5. Eric

    Eric Guest

    OK, I've got this unit up and running without having to do a clean install.
    It seems that ZoneAlarm Pro was interfering with the new hardware detection
    upon reboot. After restoring the old system, I disabled ZoneAlarm Pro from
    starting up with windows. The upgrade then proceeded flawlessly. :)

    Eric

    Eric, Oct 29, 2004
  6. Eric

    Felix Miata Guest

    I've never tried PC66 RAM in a S1590. To get 500 MHZ requires a FSB at
    least 83X6=500, but the board was designed for 100x6=600. You want to
    run that CPU at 100x5, but you shouldn't be able to do that with your
    slow RAM. Is everything jumpered correctly for your slow RAM?
    --
    "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or
    prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." U.S. Constitution, Amendment 1

    Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

    Felix Miata *** http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/

    Felix Miata, Nov 24, 2004
  7. Eric

    Eric Guest

    PC66 will work just fine on the S1590 as there's a jumper setting to run the
    memory bus asynchronously at 66 MHz while keeping the CPU and 5x100. Tyan
    notes that this jumper setting is to set the memory to the "AGP" clock.

    Eric

    Eric, Nov 25, 2004