    settings I may have overlooked that will bring this system to life with the
    full memory complement? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

    Sparky

    Sparky, Jun 20, 2007

  2. Sparky

    Paul Guest

    The only number that stands out here, is "512MB cachable". Don't ask me
    what the consequences would be. I thought the old stuff just slowed down,
    when you went past the limit.

    http://web.archive.org/web/20000302133058/http://www.via.com.tw/products/chipsetcomp1.htm

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 20, 2007

  3. hi ,

    i had an s1598 running for years with 3 x 256 = 768mb ecc sdram . i
    guess your ram is NOT identical or the 512mb is not compatible with the
    board .

    does the 512 run as a single module ?

    wolfgang schneider, Jun 20, 2007
  4. Sparky

    Sparky Guest

    The 512 is a pair of 256 sticks. These sticks are exactly identical, at
    least Crucial part number wise, to the original 256 stick that was in
    the system when it was originally built 4 - 5 years ago. When you were
    running 768 on your board, what OS were you running? I'm wondering if i
    need to look into a Windows Xp issue since the system gets to a point
    just short of Windows being fully loaded before it starts acting
    stupid???

    Sparky, Jun 20, 2007
  5. Sparky

    Sparky Guest

    Not sure what that means, but maybe it's worth me contacting their tech
    support to see if they can help... Have you ever contacted their support
    group? If you have, was it worth the effort? Or would i be wasting my time
    and energy?

    Sparky, Jun 20, 2007
  6. it simply means that only 512mb are cached with this chipset . which
    leads to the hint of maxmem=512 and a ramdisk of 256 .

    wolfgang schneider, Jun 20, 2007
  7. i had w2k and no other os on this machine .

    you have one stick with 256mb ? the new pair has each 256mb ? right ?

    should be perfect BUT -

    1.) how much ram shows the post-screen ?

    2.) did you reset the bios ?

    3.) any combination of two works but not with all three ?

    4.) could you try a bios of jan steunebrink 1.06e ? i can send it to you
    ..

    wolfgang schneider, Jun 20, 2007
  8. Sparky

    Sparky Guest

    All 768 will show in POST.
    I have not tried to reset the BIOS beyond looking through settings
    available in the setup screens but I'll try it. Any combination of two
    of the three sticks will work in any of the three slots, but putting in
    the third is death by reset. I'm a bit nervous about trying to update
    BIOS as I've never done it and I always hear bad things about doing it.
    But, if you're willing to send it or point me to where I can find it and
    any other software/instructions that I need to do the job, I'd probably
    try it as a last resort kind of thing. I can't really afford for the
    board to go completely belly up at this point as it is being used as a
    semi business computer in a part time work from home job deal.

    Sparky, Jun 21, 2007
  9. i see you are in a "zwickmuehle" . the point is that you would be one of
    less than 5% which mess up a system by updating the bios ( included all
    this nearly dead , rotten boards of msi , asrock etc. ;-) .

    since almost 15 years i'm doing this often and usually it does no harm
    if you keep to basic rules .

    so you need to decide if you are fine with 512mb or do the bios update
    ( but please with only 256mb installed ) and get the full capabilities
    of this nice trinity-board .

    please tell me the exact type , version and also the processor on it and
    i will see if the bios matches and will create a floppy-image for you ,
    so you only would need to restore it and have a boot-floppy with all
    needed parts .

    i still have a tyan mpx !

    wolfgang schneider, Jun 21, 2007