S2462 board dies after 1 1/2 year of service?

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by Benoit Beausejour, Jan 29, 2004.

  1. Hi !

    I have a machine running on a TYAN S2462 board, have been very satisfied
    with performance and stability since the beginning. Yesterday night, the
    machine stopped suddenly without any apparent reason. (Nothing in OS logs.)

    The machine has been running for over a year without any problems at all.
    No changes have been made to the machine in over a year since it was installed.
    It was installed with a 460W 24-pin PSU. Now the machine will not post at all.

    When both CPU's are in the machine, pressing power will make the CPU fan make
    1 turn and then power will cut. When we take out CPU1, the machine current
    will flow through without any problems, CPU fan, chassis fan turn no problem
    but we get no video out from the onboard video, machine will not post.

    Every single component of the machine (except the PSU) have been tested
    seperatly and work.(mem,cpu,drives,etc)

    I've since removed the board from the machine and replaced it with a Tiger.
    I would like to check on the board to assert it's condition.

    When we tested the board in other machine, some weird striding noise
    were produced by the PSU's. (not the one in the machine originally) and the
    same symptoms were observed.

    Any ideas or pointers as to what the cause of this could be ?
    Is there a known defect with the Tyan S2462 that makes it die after a long
    time of non-stop service ?

    Thanks!

    Ben

    Benoit Beausejour, Jan 29, 2004

  2. Benoit Beausejour

    Mark Morreau Guest

    Hi Benoit,

    Sure sounds like the PSU to me. Have you tried it with a known good
    ATX-GES supply? Remember you can't use ATX-EPS with it, need to have
    custom PSU.

    HTH

    Mark

    Mark Morreau, Jan 29, 2004

  3. Sound like the PSU to me too. Your symptoms are similar to what I
    experienced when I first built my S2462 system and received a defective PSU.

    Ken

    Kenneth E. Coakley, Jan 29, 2004
  4. Hi Mark,

    The box has been running off with an Antec PP-510D PSU and that particular
    unit has been tested seperatl and works...We chose that particular PSU
    from the recommended list from TYAN...

    What is the difference between EPS and GES ?

    Thanks!

    Ben

    Benoit Beausejour, Jan 29, 2004
  5. Benoit Beausejour

    Mark Morreau Guest

    Benoit Beausejour wrote:

    Hello Bonoit,

    Did you test that PSU on another 2462?

    Mark

    Mark Morreau, Jan 30, 2004
  6. I'm still siding with Mark...

    As I mentioned in another post, the first PSU that I bought for this system
    did not work. (It was a PC Power & Cooling PSU.) I contacted their tech
    support and they walked me through a few tests. According to their tests,
    the PSU was fine. However, I decided to try another PSU and it worked!

    I should add that PC Power & Cooling's tech support was extremely helpful.
    After a year of running the system, I upgraded the CPUs and went back to a
    beefier PC Power & Cooling PSU that is working great.

    Ken

    Kenneth E. Coakley, Jan 30, 2004
  7. Did you test that PSU on another 2462?
    It wasn't tested specifically on a S2462, but was tested on another 24-pin
    powered motherboard and was working fine. (Agreed we didn't test it's actual
    voltage and power output with measuring instruments)

    Ben

    Benoit Beausejour, Jan 30, 2004
  8. Benoit Beausejour

    Flipper Guest

    or a component that busted over time due to dust/slow overheat.

    if you have normal flow heat sinks, they do throw a LOT of heat
    on the capacitor around de CPus...
    Lot at the top of them, if one have strange color or look inflated,
    that could be the problem.

    Dom

    Flipper, Jan 30, 2004