S2466 (Tyan Tiger MPX) Recurrant BIOS Troubles

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by zippy, Sep 1, 2004.

  1. zippy

    zippy Guest

    Here's the story - Every now and then I've had trouble upon booting
    my machine whereby the POST screen will hang just after 'Video BIOS
    Shadowed' appears. Sometimes it will hang for ages and sometimes its
    fine. Also after booting into windows I would find that I the disk
    drives(s) wired to the secondary IDE channel are not there. Upon
    rebboting and entering the BIOS settings I would find that both
    secondary master and slave are set as 'NONE' even though I have
    manually set these up so that they use the correct DMA settings (using
    auto sets only PIO mode). This never happens with the primary IDE
    channel(s).

    Gettings things to work again is a hit and miss story. Sometimes I'll
    just set the Secondary channel up again as it was and things are ok.
    Sometimes they've reset themselves to 'NONE' after I have saved BIOS
    setting, rebooted and re-entered the BIOS setup. I've tried unplugging
    devices, changing cables, clearing the CMOS. Sometimes these actions
    work but there is never a clear cut solution, it's just a case of
    messing around until the BIOS finally gives in and lets my IDE devices
    appear.

    This issue would recur every couple of months or so over the last
    couple of years however, lately it's as if every time I boot the
    machine this is happening. It's even happening quite often when I am
    booted into windows, my hard disk and CD-ROM wired to the Secondary
    IDE channel will juat disappear and seeing as I store my program
    files on this drive, I'mm sure you can appreciate how infuriating this
    is. I have made no hardware or software changes in order for these
    issues to occur. If anyoe has any suggestions or information on this
    issue, I'd be grateful for your input. Please see my system
    specs/setup below.

    System Specifications:

    S2466 Tyan Tiger MPX Mainboard
    2x AMD Athlon MP 1800+
    On primary IDE - Master: 30Gb Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 8 - Slave: 80Gb
    Seagate Barracuda IV
    On Secondary IDE - Master: 80Gb Seagate Barracuda IV - Slave: Yamaha
    CDRW-F1
    ATI Radeon 9600XT
    Yamaha DSP Factory
    Realtek 8139D Ethernet Card
    1GB Crucial 'All the trimmings' RAM
    Enermax 550W PSU

    zippy, Sep 1, 2004

  2. When is the last time you replaced the battery?

    Kaptain Kludge, Sep 4, 2004

  3. zippy

    Tomas Linden Guest

    Which version of the motherboard do you actually have, the
    S2466 N or the S2466 N-4M? Which BIOS version do you have?
    Judging from the comment on the BIOS 4.06 release for the S2466 N-4M,
    there is apparently a bug in the BIOS 4.05 for this board where the BIOS
    can clear the BIOS CMOS RAM in some cases.

    "TYAN Tiger MPX ( S2466N-4M ) V4.06 New features and Fixes : Fixes
    bios resetting during reboot issue. Fixes hang on shutdown issue when
    no keyboard is present."

    Tomas Lindén
    ------------

    : When is the last time you replaced the battery?

    : :> Here's the story - Every now and then I've had trouble upon booting
    :> my machine whereby the POST screen will hang just after 'Video BIOS
    :> Shadowed' appears. Sometimes it will hang for ages and sometimes its
    :> fine. Also after booting into windows I would find that I the disk
    :> drives(s) wired to the secondary IDE channel are not there. Upon
    :> rebboting and entering the BIOS settings I would find that both
    :> secondary master and slave are set as 'NONE' even though I have
    :> manually set these up so that they use the correct DMA settings (using
    :> auto sets only PIO mode). This never happens with the primary IDE
    :> channel(s).
    :>

    Tomas Linden, Sep 4, 2004
  4. zippy

    zippy Guest

    Sorry for late reply.

    Never replaced the battery in 2 years and if it's down to that, I'll
    eat my cat. These troubles have been apparent not too far from the
    start so I wouldn't have expected the battery to be at fault. I'm not
    sure battery failure would expalin all these symptoms too but I might
    be wrong.

    It's just the S2466 N too. Eek!

    zippy, Sep 11, 2004
  5. It may or may not be a battery. I have had bad batteries out of the box. I
    suggest it because it is a cheap thing to check since batteries need to be
    replaced anyway.

    Kaptain Kludge, Sep 18, 2004