S2468 Prob please read

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by Locutus, Aug 15, 2005.

  1. Locutus

    Locutus Guest

    in the process of building a new rig
    I have most parts

    last niter I put it together without the optical or floppy drives and no mouse yet

    it posted I got to bios and it was all fine
    BUT
    when it checked the RAM it counted thru the whole 1.25 gb
    it was slow
    that was painful to watch
    quick boot was enabled and it still went slow
    am I missing something or do I need to have all parts hooked up for it to post correctly?

    specs below

    Tyan S2468
    Onboard u160 SCSI Raid
    Onboard ATI Rage
    Dual 3com Nics

    2 x 2400+ MP's w/Thermaltake Volcano 11 Xaser Series HSF

    1.25 gb PC2100 ECC/REG Infineon

    Fujitsu MAU series u320 15k 36gb HDD

    Pioneer 110 DVD Burner [Black] not installed

    Sony DVD [Black] not installed

    Floppy [Black] not installed

    in a Thermaltake Xaser V1000
    Brushed Aluminum case w/Window

    Blue CC light

    Locutus, Aug 15, 2005

  2. I'd try different memory. I have a K8SE, for which I initially bought
    Mushkin with what should have been acceptable specs. I got frequent
    BSOD with system reboot. I changed to Crucial and haven't had a problem
    since. Tyan has a reputation for being extremely picky about RAM.

    Another possibility: are you installing the RAM in pairs?

    Martin

    Martin Shoemaker, Aug 15, 2005

  3. Locutus

    pblais Guest

    Mine is slow to check ram too, but I don't find any problems. When you
    say slow how slow is slow? Quick boot is quicker but it still does a
    check. Unfortunately this board takes a long it to boot as you go
    through all the hoops.

    I run Twin 2800MP's and 1 GB RAM. I like this machine a lot.

    As noted in the other reply Tyan is VERY picky about RAM! My machine
    has a 512MB Corsair and a 512 MB Viking both from the approved list on
    the Web site. The Corsair part number is now different. I found the
    Viking to run fine and of course much cheaper than Corsair.

    pblais, Aug 15, 2005
  4. Locutus

    Locutus Guest

    fixed