S2676 on-board line-out jack gives no audio

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by Alan Yim, Feb 17, 2005.

  1. Alan Yim

    Alan Yim Guest

    I set up two S2676 motherboards running windows server 2003 recently.
    The Intel chipset drivers & the Soundmax audio driver were installed
    from the CDROM supplied. However no audio except the faint beep sound
    (originally from the on-board buzzer) was heard from the line-out jack
    (the middle one). But when I performed the audio hardware testing that
    comes with windows server 2003 the audio meter reacted as I plugged in
    the microphone & made some noise. That means at least the mic-in jack
    is working.

    This problem occurs in both motherboards.

    Originally the motherboards have BIOS version 2.01 beta. After
    encountering such incident I upgraded them to version 2.01 downloaded
    from Tyan web site just earlier today. But still no luck.

    Any idea to fix/work around this apart from getting another audio
    card? There's an audio connector inside but unfortunately the manual
    doesn't provide any details of the pins. Any help will be greatly
    appreciated.

    Alan Yim, Feb 17, 2005

  2. Alan Yim

    R. J. Salvi Guest

    Do you have the on-board audio enabled in the BIOS?

    You might also check to make sure the speaker plug is fully seated in the
    line-out socket. Sometimes those sockets can be a bit tight giving one a
    false sense of security regarding the mechanical connection between plug and
    socket.

    R. J. Salvi, Feb 17, 2005

  3. Alan Yim

    Alan Yim Guest

    Thank you for your suggestion, Robert. Of course the on-board audio
    was already enabled. Otherwise the driver wouldn't have run & I
    wouldn't have seen anything from the audio meters when I ran the audio
    hardware testing.

    Anyway I finally managed to get it resolved. I emailed Tyan tech
    support right after posting this thread. Its automated response sent
    me the latest FAQ specific to my motherboard. Fortunately my question
    had been addressed before. To quickly summarize, the bad quality of
    the manual is to blame. In particular the pin assignments. There're
    quite a number of connectors & jumpers that are only described in
    brief without detail pin assignments. For those with pin assignments,
    there're quite a few with errors or even meaningless names. Luckily
    they're only related to non-critical led connections. I only realized
    this after reading the whole FAQ.

    Back to the audio jack problem. It's actually due to a group of
    jumpers that are marked "reserved" in the manual. Since they're
    reserved jumpers, no further description was given in the manual.
    According to the FAQ, two of them should be in close position. But
    they were opened in both my motherboards... An supplement image of pin
    assignments of those jumpers was given along with the FAQ. But
    ironically, the position of one of the jumpers showing in the image is
    incorrect. Fortunately I got it working at last.

    Alan Yim, Feb 18, 2005
  4. Alan Yim

    R. J. Salvi Guest

    Glad to hear you got it going...sounds like a real kluge. Would you please
    post the "problem" jumper number and what the correct pin position of it
    should be for on-board sound? Thx.

    R. J. Salvi, Feb 19, 2005
  5. Alan Yim

    Alan Yim Guest

    Hi Salvi,

    Sorry for the late response. Here's the solution from Tyan support for
    your convenience:
    and then on 9 and 10 of P23. If there aren't, you'll need to install
    two jumper shunts and short pins 5-6 and 9-10 on P23. P23 is near the
    edge of the motherboard closest to the rear next to the last expansion
    slot. Pin one is closest to the front of the board. Pin 5-6 are in the
    center of the jumper block and across from each other. Pins 9-10 are
    the last two sets of pins. Here is a picture to show how those jumpers
    should look once installed. Once this is done you should get audio
    from the onboard components.

    The FAQ also comes with a diagram of P23. But it's incorrect... :(

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Yim, Feb 28, 2005
  6. It's quite typical for a motherboard to have headers for a headphone
    jack. When the headphones are connected, the speakers are muted (by having
    the audio output disconnect). So you need the proper jumpers on the header
    to get audio out without the headset jack switch connected. The only problem
    in this case was bad documentation.

    DS

    David Schwartz, Mar 1, 2005