S2865, Smdc M3290

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by jbhappy, Sep 19, 2006.

  1. jbhappy

    jbhappy

    Location:
    Michigan, US
    Hi,

    I'm about to purchase a Tyan GT20 with the S2865 board and am interested in the SMDC option. I'm just having a little trouble figuring out some of the details of the console, so I hope someone here can offer me a clue.

    First of all, I have found Tyan's manual online (such as it is) and have a pretty good idea of what I need to do as far as flashing various BIOSes, firmwares, and what have you. I also know what I need to do to FreeBSD to make it use sio1 as the console.

    What's throwing me off a bit is how to access the console remotely. Tyan's docs all seem to indicate that I'll need to use the TSO software, but what I've read from those who actually administer Tyan/SMDC boxes makes it sound like that it may not be necessary. So question 1: do I need to use the TSO software to get to the console-over-IP? If not, what are my non-TSO options?

    Some of what's in Tyan's docs gives me the impression that the TSO host needs to be on the same LAN/subnet as the server with the SMDC. I won't have a second host on the same subnet as the SMDC, as this server will be my only one in a co-lo facility. Is this really the case once the SMDC has been configured? Alternatively, if I can access the console without TSO, can I do that from a different subnet?

    since the console is a serial port, is it able to let the administrator into the system BIOS or a RAID card's BIOS? That is, does it do anything before the OS begins to load and use its own serial-console routines (similar to Dell's PowerEdge console redirection to a local serial port)?

    What I'm getting at with my questions is that while IPMI software/drivers on the server itself are all well and good, my primary need is to access the console (potentially including BIOSes and other pre-OS functions) from a remote subnet.

    I greatly appreciate any information you all can provide me with.

    Thanks,
    Jeff

    jbhappy, Sep 19, 2006