S2882 server motherboard up and screaming

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by David Pipe, Nov 17, 2003.

  1. David Pipe

    David Pipe Guest

    Take a look at these specs.
    http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8spro.html This is a true server
    board.

    Got an Antec rack case w/550 watt EPS power supply, plugged the board in,
    plugged FOUR of the case fans into the motherboard, two Opteron CPUs, four
    two GB DIMMS (and room for four more).

    This thing is loud--two fans in the power supply, three 92mm fans right in
    front of the motherboard, a high capacity 80mm at the rear plus two very
    large CPU fans on the Opterons. This belongs in a rack in another room.
    You'll go deaf if you have to listen to it all the time.

    Booted up first time. Installed Mandrake 9.2 64 bit RC1. Works like a
    charm.

    This is an approximately $500 motherboard, and it's a heavy board, not to
    mention the heavy guage steel contraption that holds the CPU heat sink. And
    you've got to install these heat sink retainers before you install the board
    in the box (don't ask me how I know this).

    David Pipe, Nov 17, 2003