S2885 - DVD and MP3 "skipping" when under load

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by Noozer, Oct 14, 2004.

  1. Noozer

    Noozer Guest

    Just wondering if anyone has an idea on how to deal with this...

    - Tyan S2885 mainboard
    - pair of Opteron 242s.
    - 768meg of memory (got another 256meg stick on RMA that will complete the
    dual channel on CPU2)
    - Highpoint 1802A PCI-X SATA RAID controller in a PCIX133 slot driving 8
    Maxtor Maxline 2 HDD's
    - WD Raptor 36gig SATA drive on the mainboards SATA 0 connector for the OS
    - 256 meg ATI Radeon 9800 Pro in the AGP slot.
    - Using the onboard sound hardware
    - OS is Windows XP Pro (32bit)

    It seems that if I have a DVD playing or MP3 playing, it will
    skip/stutter/jump if I'm moving data to the hard drives.

    Are there any settings in the BIOS, or Windows settings I could tweak that
    would reduce the stutter? I was thinking PCI latency settings or memory/bus
    timings, etc.

    Would a dedicated soundcard like an Audigy in the PCI slot improve the
    situation?

    Will getting that last piece of memory into the PC make a big difference?

    Thanks!

    Noozer, Oct 14, 2004

  2. Noozer

    Rob Stow Guest

    The first thing I would try would be increasing
    the priority of whatever app(s) you are using for
    video/audio. You can test this by manually setting
    the priority in Task Manager.

    If that solves the problem you can make it permanent by
    adjusting the shortcuts for those apps. An example of
    how this would work is to change the "target" for a shortcut
    so that it is like this:
    C:\WINNT\system32\CMD.EXE /c "start /abovenormal /d"C:\Program Files\WinAmp" WinAmp.exe"

    Probably not, but it can't hurt to try.

    Rob Stow, Oct 14, 2004

  3. Noozer

    DaveW Guest

    The on-board sound is your problem: it uses the CPU's for audio processing.
    And when the CPU's are under load of transferring data elsewhere, the
    onboard sound chip becomes a low priority and thus skips. Get a PCI sound
    card and that will fix it.

    DaveW, Oct 15, 2004