S2895 Thunder K8WE with mulitple video cards

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by J Young, Jul 7, 2006.

  1. J Young

    J Young Guest

    Tyan thunder K8WE S2895 motherboard
    with a single AMD Opteron Dual Core 280 CPU

    Two XFX Nvidia GeForce 7900 GTX cards on
    the two PCI - Express slots (slots #1 & #3).

    The second video card does not work.
    The manual (p.30) makes some mention that if
    the board has a single CPU installed, then I
    can only use PCI Express Slot 1. Only if
    both CPU's are installed, can both PCI Express
    slots be enabled.

    Any further information from the experts in this
    group?

    Thanks,
    -Jim Young

    J Young, Jul 7, 2006

  2. J Young

    Paul Guest

    There is a block diagram in your user manual (pg.9)

    If the H0 socket is not occupied, notice how
    a path for the PCI Express packets to get there,
    is missing. Using that block diagram, you should
    be able to predict which pieces of hardware
    are disabled, when running only one processor.
    For example, one of your Ethernet connectors will
    be dead also, when there is only a single
    processor present. That is because the Nvidia
    chip on the left, is isolated, when H0 socket
    is empty.

    One thing I've been curious about, in this
    architecture, is whether it makes sense to put
    a cheaper low speed processor into the second
    socket. As long as the HT busses run at full
    speed, and you could disable the core on the
    slow processor (so no tasks are dispatched to
    it), then the slow processor can function as
    a memory controller, and packet forwarder.
    So far, I haven't read of anyone trying
    something like that.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 10, 2006