S2DGE & Server 2003

Discussion in 'Supermicro' started by Ron, Apr 4, 2004.

  1. Ron

    Ron Guest

    I have this strange problem on this server, this is a PDC.
    If I install Windows 2000 Server everything works great as it always has; if
    I upgrade to Server 2003 or do a clean install of Server 2003, the mouse &
    keyboard do not work when setup completes. I use a Logitech USB optical
    mouse and have tried several different USB and PS2 keyboards and mice and
    same thing.
    for experimentation, I am using 2 harddrives, one has 2000 server on it and
    the other has server 2003 on it. the 2000 runs flawlessly. MS said the 2003
    cd was defective, so I had the client return it and get a new one and that
    made no difference either. Now I am baffled.

    SuperMicro S2DGE 1024mb ram (Micron), Dual Pentium 2 Xeon 450MHz 2mb cache
    Adaptec 29160
    WDE-9150 9.1g hdd, Maxtor Atlas 10K4_36SCA 36.4gb hdd
    Plextor UltraPlex 40x scsi cdrom
    Netgear FA-311 NIC (internet)
    LinkSys LNE-100TX v5.1 (local)
    Promise Ultra100 TX
    IBM IC35L060 60gb hdd, IBM IC35L120 120gb hdd

    Ron, Apr 4, 2004

  2. Ron

    Ron Guest

    I am not using a switch. I have tried connecting them before and after
    Windows starts and they just do not function in that OS, they both work fine
    in Windows 2000 Server Sp4. I am not using dual boot at this time, but just
    switch the boot to SCSI ID:1 in the Adaptec bios to boot to the alternate
    OS.

    Ron, Apr 6, 2004

  3. Ron

    Ron Guest

    Yes I did, they didn't know what to make of it either. This is what they
    said, and it's basically what I am starting to believe as well::
    That is strange, since Win2000 work there is no hardware problem. I believe
    it might be related to Win2003 the OS.

    This chipset is 7 years old and we had discontinued for 3+ years already.
    We don't have any more boards in house to test it. Also, AMI is no longer
    writing the BIOS for it therefore no more BIOS update.

    I would suggest your customer to stay with Win2000 and use it as it is.

    Thanks,

    John

    Ron, Apr 12, 2004