    out first before we buy the full boat of CPU's and memory.

    Thanks,

    Steve

    Steve Cousins, Jan 5, 2007

  2. Steve Cousins

    Guest Guest

    Yes, it will work fine with any number of CPUs

    No, I haven't tested this myself on a quad opteron board, but all the SMP
    boards I've used all work fine with just 1 CPU.

    When you install Windows make sure you install the ACPI MPS HAL, because you
    can't upgrade it afterwards. The easiest way to do this is to install with
    more than 1 CPU present. But if you only have 1 CPU, when it says "Press
    F6 to load mass storage drivers ..." press F5 (yes, F5, not F6) and it will
    sooon present you with a choice of HALs. Choose ACPI MPS.

    If your installing some other OS, check that such a problem won't also
    affect you. I don't know other OS's well enough to say either way, though
    I'd be surprised if Linux would give that problem. You probably know full
    well that 'test' systems often end up as full production systems, so ensure
    you build it like it's a production system.

    Guest, Jan 6, 2007

  3. Hi SnowGhost,

    My mistake. I meant to ask if it was ok to use two 200 series CPU's in
    a quad-capable MB, as opposed to using the 800 series CPU's. The manual
    for the S4881 says to use two CPU's to make everything work but it
    doesn't say if you can use two 200 series CPU's.

    Thanks,

    Steve

    Steve Cousins, Jan 6, 2007