    If so, is it available for free? BTW, I will buy 10.5 soon; I will just not
    install it yet.

    Thanks, PaulN

    Paul Nevai, Nov 14, 2007

  2. Paul Nevai

    David Empson Guest

    No. The copy of Safari included in Leopard is specifically written for
    Leopard. You can't simply copy the application, as it also depends on
    other system frameworks which are part of Leopard (especially WebCore
    and WebKit).
    If Apple makes a final version of Safari 3 available for Tiger then it
    will either be rolled into the imminent but surprisingly late 10.4.11
    update, or will be available as a separate download (which will probably
    require 10.4.11), and it will be free. Even that copy might be slighly
    different to the version included with Leopard (and it might be missing
    a few features compared to the Leopard version).

    I've seen rumours to this effect but don't know how reliable they are.

    If it turns out that was wishful thinking, then once the Safari 3 beta
    expires, Tiger users will have to downgrade to Safari 2 again, or buy
    Leopard to get Safari 3. This would be similar to the situation with
    Boot Camp. I think it is more likely that Apple will release a final
    Safari 3 for Tiger, so they at least have a consistent standard browser
    going forward.

    For comparison, Safari 2 was included with Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) and was
    not available separately. Anyone running Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) is
    still stuck on Safari 1.3.1.

    The original release of Safari was a separate free download late in the
    life cycle of Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar).

    David Empson, Nov 14, 2007

  3. Paul Nevai

    Ron Herfurth Guest

    Is there a way I can take all of my favorites from Internet Explorer
    currently on my Lombard with OS9 and move them to Safari on my new MacBook
    with Leopard? I have a LaCie hard drive for back up but I don't think I have
    a cable that would connect the Lomabrd to the MacBook.

    Ron
    I'd get "Leopard For Dummies" but it would probably be over my head, I need
    "Leopard for Congenital Idiots".

    Ron Herfurth, Nov 14, 2007
  4. Paul Nevai

    Ilgaz Öcal Guest

    That will create a major scandal since there is either something wrong
    with people's system or Apple's script... Safari 3 Beta can't be
    removed on some systems.

    So beta expires, they will end up with a non working OS default browser
    which the "default" part is always a big deal.

    There are people who archived/installed or "upgraded" back to same OS
    (Tiger) just to get rid of Safari 3 beta.

    If Leopard exclusive features trimmed, upgrading Webkit and the Shell
    (Safari.app) is not big deal for Apple. I hope they don't choose the
    other way.

    Ilgaz

    Ilgaz Öcal, Nov 14, 2007
  5. Got a citation for that?

    Michelle Steiner, Nov 14, 2007
  6. I expect that the final Safari 3 for Tiger will be released no later
    than when Safari 3 for Windows is released, but probably at the same
    time.

    Michelle Steiner, Nov 14, 2007
  7. And Safari.pkg from the DVD won't run on Tiger, either. New format.
    The BootCamp 2 drivers work fine on my XP partition (I installed those
    before I installed 10.5). Haven't checked out BootCamp assistant yet...
    On the other hand, there was no beta of Safari 2 available for Panther.
    Right?

    Anders Eklöf, Nov 14, 2007
  8.
    Melodious Thunk, Nov 14, 2007
  9. Michelle Steiner, Nov 14, 2007
  10. Paul Nevai

    David Empson Guest

    Yes, that's right. This lends further weight to the likelihood of there
    being a final release of Safari 3 for Tiger.

    Snap! Apple just released 10.4.11 and it includes Safari 3. :)

    David Empson, Nov 14, 2007
  11. The iPhone has had a camera from day 1.

    Michelle Steiner, Nov 14, 2007
  12. Paul Nevai

    M-M Guest

    Right. Safari 3.0.4 (523.12)

    Is this the same build as on Leopard?

    M-M, Nov 15, 2007
  13. Paul Nevai

    Posterizer Guest

    I just updated to 10.4.11 and I don't see the Web Clip button in Safari,
    nor does Safari's help file mention it. Is this Web Clip function
    specific to Safari 3 in Leopard?

    Here's the info from the Leopard overview website:

    http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/safari.html

    _d

    Posterizer, Nov 15, 2007
  14. Paul Nevai

    dorayme Guest

    Was there anything about the Safari just before this that
    bothered you?

    dorayme, Nov 15, 2007
  15. Leopard's is 3.0.4 (5523.10)

    Michelle Steiner, Nov 15, 2007
  16. Yes.

    Michelle Steiner, Nov 15, 2007
  17. Paul Nevai

    M-M Guest

    The Leopard build on this MBP is Version 3.0.4 (5523.10).

    Umm ... did you drop a digit?[/QUOTE]

    Nope, it's 523.12.

    I really like the new menu item: History-> Reopen all windows from last
    session. I know, other browsers have had this functionality for a while.

    M-M, Nov 15, 2007
  18. I said "about time" because I'd heard that 10.4.11 would be out in
    August.

    But I do have a couple of consistent Safari problems under 2.0.4:
    stability (crashes every couple of days) and inability to access some
    websites. I use other browsers also but really enjoy Safari's speed.

    BTW thanks to the other posters who kindly pointed out that I'm the
    only person on the planet who *didn't know* that the iPhone already
    has a camera.

    Doh!

    Melodious Thunk, Nov 15, 2007
  19. You didn't hear it from any official or quasi-official source.

    Michelle Steiner, Nov 15, 2007
  20. Paul Nevai

    David Empson Guest

    Nope, it's 523.12.[/QUOTE]

    That will be a PowerPC vs Intel difference. It was identifiable in other
    parts of Tiger, where the Intel builds have a four digit build number
    while PowerPC builds have a three digit build number (which generally
    matches the last three digits of the Intel build number).

    On Leopard, Safari is universal for everyone so it has a four digit
    build number.

    I expect if someone runs Safari on 10.4.11 on an Intel Mac, it will also
    be version 5523 (or perhaps 4523).

    David Empson, Nov 15, 2007