Safari 4 (beta)

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Warren Oates, Feb 24, 2009.

  1. Warren Oates

    Warren Oates Guest

    Warren Oates, Feb 24, 2009

  2. Warren Oates

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    It's working here. Seems to be faster with Java-heavy pages. Note that it
    takes a while to start up the first time, as it sorts through your stuff to
    generate the 'Top Sites' page. After that it seems to be faster than Safari
    3, at least on Intel hardware. I'm going to test it on PPC hardware and see
    what happens.

    J.J. O'Shea, Feb 24, 2009

  3. Warren Oates

    Warren Oates Guest

    Opera have had something like the "top sites" for a while. They call it
    "Speed Dial."

    I like the CoverFlow thing in the new Safari, I think. I don't know
    about speed, FF 3 works pretty fast these days.

    Warren Oates, Feb 24, 2009
  4. Warren Oates

    Warren Oates Guest

    Sounds like too many downloads at once. It seems to be up again (3:15
    EST).

    Warren Oates, Feb 24, 2009
  5. It's back up again.

    In addition to the advertised changes, it moved the reload button to
    where the snapback button used to be, but eliminated the snapback button
    and the stop button (which used to toggle with the reload button). The
    snapback menu and keyboard shortcut are also gone.

    The search-results snapback button is still there, though.

    Michelle Steiner, Feb 24, 2009
  6. The stop button still is there; I typed too hastily. While a page is
    pointer over that spinning gear changes the gear into the X that
    represents the stop button.

    Michelle Steiner, Feb 24, 2009
  7. If you want to experiment with the new and old tab placements, run this
    Applescript.

    set oldtabs to "defaults write com.apple.Safari
    DebugSafari4TabBarIsOnTop -bool NO"
    set newtabs to "defaults write com.apple.Safari
    DebugSafari4TabBarIsOnTop -bool YES"

    set option to (button returned of (display dialog ¬
    "Set Safari 4 tabs to old or new." buttons ¬
    {"Old Style", "New Style", "Cancel"} ¬
    default button "Cancel"))
    if option is "Old Style" then
    set tabs to oldtabs
    else if option is "New Style" then
    set tabs to newtabs
    end if
    do shell script of tabs

    You will have to quit and relaunch Safari to make the changes, though.

    Michelle Steiner, Feb 24, 2009
  8. - Quit Safari
    - Locate 1Password in your /Applications folder
    - Ctrl-click > Show Package Contents
    - Contents > Resources > SupportedBrowsers.plist
    - Root > Safari > MaxBundleVersion > Change 5525.9 to 5526.12 (Safari 4
    Developer Preview's bundle version is 5526.11.2)
    - Start Safari

    Note: Because you are modifying the application bundle itself, you will
    need to do this every time 1Password is updated (until Safari 4 support
    is "officially" built in, that is). As for the MaxBundleVersion, just
    make sure it's greater than Safari's (you can check by clicking Safari >
    About Safari; it's the number in parentheses after the version number)
    and you should be fine.

    Michelle Steiner, Feb 24, 2009
  9. Warren Oates

    Tom Stiller Guest

    You can customize the toolbar and drag the 1Password button to it.

    Tom Stiller, Feb 24, 2009
  10. Thank you! My Safari world is complete again. :)[/QUOTE]

    So what does 1Password do that keychain doesn't do?

    -- Michelle

    Michelle Steiner, Feb 24, 2009
  11. Michelle Steiner, Feb 24, 2009
  12. Warren Oates

    Tom Stiller Guest

    So what does 1Password do that keychain doesn't do?
    [/QUOTE]

    Features, according the the help page:
    Rock Solid Security
    True Integration in Web Browsers
    Support for all Popular Web Browsers
    Securely Organize Your Life With Wallet
    Automatically Fill Credit Cards While Shopping Online
    Automatically Fill Address and Contact Information
    Automatic Saving of Website Logins
    Strong Password Generator
    Password History
    Secure Notes
    Access Your Data Anywhere
    Automatically Keeping Your Data in Sync

    Tom Stiller, Feb 24, 2009
  13. Warren Oates

    Erik Guest

    Just curious, are there any issues between Safari 4 and Source Forge's
    'Safari Ad Block' software?

    Erik

    Erik, Feb 25, 2009
  14. Warren Oates

    Tom Stiller Guest

    I haven't seen any so far. Fingers crossed.

    Tom Stiller, Feb 25, 2009
  15. Warren Oates

    iBallooka Guest

    It doesn't work with Hotmail either as direction connection or via MSN
    you go to your inbox click on message doesn't load, click to selected
    all messages does't work the rest of it is pretty naff so had on for
    all of 10 mins...

    OK a beta but can't connect to hotmail???

    Mike

    iBallooka, Feb 25, 2009
  16. Warren Oates

    Davoud Guest

    "Top Sites" is idiotic. I accidentally clicked the wrong link on a list
    of tightly-spaced links. Suddenly it's a top site. C'mon, Apple, anyone
    there old enough to remember when the Mac was about me doing it _my_
    way? I want absolute control what appears in "Top Sites--" the option
    to make it completely manual if I wish (and I do wish). I'll keep it
    disabled for now.

    I also want absolute control over the toolbar. I want the back and
    forward buttons, the reload/stop button, and the URL window, and
    _nothing_ else. That means I don't want the "add bookmark" icon
    permanently attached to the URL windows, because I don't want that icon
    at all. As for the Google search space, what good is that to me when I
    always use Google's advanced search?

    Moving the tab bar is a solution in search of a problem, but it's one
    bit of nonsense that a person will get used to and accept.

    The problem is that each piece of idiocy one accepts in life knocks a
    point or two off one's IQ. It's bad enough that I'll soon be 65 years
    old and my IQ has already dropped into the lower 150's--I don't need
    Apple pushing it further down. And I take no comfort from knowing that
    I could lose 100 points and still be ahead of the average Republican.

    Davoud

    Davoud, Feb 25, 2009
  17. Warren Oates

    Heli Guest

    I have tried Safari 4 and also found Topsites very weird. There were
    sites I never ever visited, so I guess these were sites like
    doubleclick who have no business with me. The Develop menu showed that
    many Apple sites had mistakes in them (yellow triangle and red circle
    with cross) and mention was made of doubleclick too. Also Apple sites
    took very long to load. Other sites were very fast.
    So all in all it's no improvement for me. I removed Safari 4. It's not
    better than Firefox yet. Even removing it seemed to be a bit of a
    problem, as at restart my system kept freewheeling, so I had to do a
    hard shut down.
    What I know for sure is that Snow Leopard will not be for me either.
    Apple is losing it.

    Heli, Feb 25, 2009
  18. Easy, but a bit complex, to do.
    1. Open two windows in Safari.
    2. In window 1, open Top Sites and click the Edit button.
    3. In window 2, navigate to the site you want.
    4. Drag the URL icon/button from window 2 to Window 1.

    That URL will remain in Top Sites, in the location you put it, until you
    move or remove it.

    -- Michelle

    Michelle Steiner, Feb 25, 2009
  19. Unless your hardware can't run it, how do you know that?

    Michelle Steiner, Feb 25, 2009
  20. I find it to be a worthwhile upgrade. It has features that I don't need
    or want (e.g., coverflow on bookmarks, top sites), and some that are
    nice, but not necessary (tabs on top), but the improved speed makes it
    worthwhile.

    Don't forget that this is a public beta, and Apple can make changes
    based on user feedback. If enough users suggest a particular change,
    I'm fairly sure that Apple will incorporate that change if it's
    possible. However, complaining here or on news/rumor web sites isn't
    going to do a thing; you need to make the request or report directly to
    Apple.

    I already submitted a request to restore the snapback button.

    -- Michelle

    Michelle Steiner, Feb 25, 2009