    to be a _serious_ problem before it affected _everything_. And, of course,
    the external drives can be plugged into _any machine in the building_, all of
    which have FireWire. Including the Windows boxes.

    J.J. O'Shea, Mar 2, 2009

  2. Warren Oates

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    I've had computing access from home since the early 1960s, originally on
    terminals connected to mainframes and since roughly 1980 I've had a variety
    of Apple and IBM computers. But I do indeed have memories of those 5 & 1/4
    and 8 inch floppies. As an aside it was apparently late in the game that
    Apple decided to go with the Sony floppies instead of 5 and 1/4 in the Mac.

    TaliesinSoft, Mar 2, 2009

  3. Warren Oates

    Guest Guest

    i have several external drives like that too, although they are all
    firewire (usb is not reliable for bus-power). however, i certainly
    don't want to deal with an external drive on an airplane, let alone
    several of them. i also like to use the laptop on a couch or bed and
    having even one hard drive dangling off of it is simply not going to
    work.

    basically, using external hard drives on a portable computer
    effectively turns it into a non-portable computer.
    on my desktop mac, i have several external hard drives, as well as a
    dvd burner, ipod dock, flash card reader and a printer and it's an
    absolute mess of power and firewire/usb cables.

    Guest, Mar 2, 2009
  4. Warren Oates

    Ian Gregory Guest

    I use Time Machine too, but the way I use it I might loose a lot more
    than one hour's data! You see I normally have my TM drive disconnected
    and powered off so I have to manually connect it every time I want to do
    a backup, and I get lazy. I keep it disconnected for at least three
    reasons:

    1) It is about 10 times as loud as my iMac!
    2) To save energy
    3) In case my iMac is somehow compromised (unlikely)

    To elaborate on the last point, what if a rogue process gains UID 0 on
    my machine? It could corrupt my boot drive, but if I realised something
    was wrong in time I would just have to reinstall from DVD and recover
    from my TM drive. If the TM drive was permanently connected the rogue
    process could modify data on there and I would not be able to trust my
    backup.

    Of course I could get a quieter drive, and provided it only spins up
    once per hour it would not use much energy (but I seem to remember it
    spinning up more often than that, even after disabling SpotLight
    indexing of it?).

    If I leave the house for more than a day I store the TM drive offsite in
    case of fire etc. I am trying to remember to do occasional backups of my
    important data to optical media for permanent offsite storage.

    Ian

    Ian Gregory, Mar 2, 2009
  5. Warren Oates

    Tom Stiller Guest

    When you restore from a Time Machine drive, you are given the
    opportunity to choose by time and date the backup to be restored; you
    don't have to take the most recent one.

    Tom Stiller, Mar 2, 2009
  6. Warren Oates

    Ian Gregory Guest

    Yes but the rogue process wouldn't be limited to modifying the most
    recent one either! It could simply wipe the whole drive, or it could
    subtly corrupt every backup.

    When I was responsible for backups on Solaris servers the archive tapes
    were taken out of the drive and stored in a fireproof safe. It just
    seems a little risky to have all your archives stored on a live disk.

    Ian

    Ian Gregory, Mar 2, 2009
  7. Warren Oates

    Warren Oates Guest

    Well, if we're having _that_ kind of contest, I've got all 4 bays of the
    Mac Pro filled (the original 250, plus 3 325s) and a terabyte LaCie on
    the desk for backups and the oul' Woman has her 200 (I think) in the
    MacBook Pro with a LaCie 250 on the deskt for her various bits and
    pieces. I've also got a hosed LaCie (Maxtor) 120 that's about ten years
    old I'll probably put a 500 into when I get a round tuit.

    The original 250 in bay 1 I use for "restoring" my boot drive once in a
    while.

    Warren Oates, Mar 2, 2009
  8. Warren Oates

    Warren Oates Guest

    http://home.comcast.net/~bcleere/texts/draper.html

    Warren Oates, Mar 2, 2009
  9. Warren Oates

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    You win.

    J.J. O'Shea, Mar 3, 2009
  10. Warren Oates

    marika Guest

    There was an article in one of the online computer articles
    (comuterworld I think) that said that of all the browsers, Safari
    falls to hackers the quickest

    mk5000

    "In the auditorium
    Looking on she sings the songs
    The words she knows, the tune she hums
    But oh how it feels so real "--tiny danza, elton john

    marika, Mar 5, 2009
  11. I believe that that that article exists solely in your imagination,
    troll.

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 5, 2009
  12. Warren Oates

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Why? You believe Computerworld is totally free of idiots?

    Wes Groleau, Mar 5, 2009
  13. Why? You believe Computerworld is totally free of idiots?[/QUOTE]

    It doesn't matter what publication she (or he) would have hypothesized;
    I think she's a troll.

    Why else would she have added alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley to the
    distribution?

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 5, 2009
  14. You're probably thinking of the prediction by a guy who pwned Safari
    last year at CanSecWest's "PWN2OWN" contest that it would be the most
    easily hacked browser this year. His claim did receive a bit of play
    in the past week and appeared in ComputerWorld among other places.

    <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic
    &articleId=9128878>

    Of course, CanSecWest 2009 hasn't happened yet... so we'll see.
    However, last year this guy won $10,000 by showing up with an exploit
    that broke Safari in the first few minutes of the contest. He is
    apparently planning to show up with exploits again, meaning he's found
    them ahead of time, so I'd say he's fairly credible.

    Apple fixed the problem he found last year within a month, and it was
    not transparent (requiring a user to accept the install) and never
    appeared in the wild. If Apple responds quickly to any vulnerabilities
    found, I'd say that focused attention on Safari from hackers can only
    improve it.

    Jerry Kindall, Mar 5, 2009
  15. Now now, a person with an IQ of 50 could not possibly be as stupid as
    the average Republican. It takes active _misuse_ of one's Dog given
    brains to be *that* stupid. Having low IQ isn't a moral failing after
    all.

    Walter Bushell, Mar 6, 2009
  16. Warren Oates

    Wes Groleau Guest

    I could lose 100 points and still be ahead of the average Republican.
    The "average" Republican and the "average" Democrat are both smart
    enough not to make stupid statements like that. It's the extremists
    in both parties that like to make idiots of themselves.

    Wes Groleau, Mar 7, 2009