Safari 4 (beta)

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Warren Oates, Feb 24, 2009.

  1. Thanks for reminding me of that old chestnut, I'd forgotten it. :)

    Steve

    Steven Fisher, Feb 27, 2009

  2. Warren Oates

    Tim McNamara Guest

    I admitted no such thing. I installed it to see what it would do.

    It is now perfectly obvious that you are a troll.[/QUOTE]

    And Safari 4 is BETA software. Of course it needs tweaking. That seems
    to be overlook by the whiners.

    After all this discussion I installed Safari 4.0b on my iBook (10.4.11)
    and thus far i am favorably impressed. It's clearly faster at rendering
    Web pages than Firefox or Camino or Safari 3.2.1, although playback on
    Hulu was choppy and unwatchable. YouTube's a little choppy but
    watchable. i haven't tried my bank yet.

    I'm going to play with it for a while to see if I still like it once I
    get over the shiny new toy syndrome.

    Tim McNamara, Feb 27, 2009

  3. Warren Oates

    Tim McNamara Guest

    I got 100/100 running Acid3 in Safari 4 on my iBook with 10.4.11.

    Tim McNamara, Feb 27, 2009
  4. Warren Oates

    Wes Groleau Guest

    No. If you decide you no longer support PPC, then tweak a parameter in
    the build script and presto, every OS from then on is about 60% the
    former size.

    If you want to support them still, add a very tiny bit of code to the
    installer, that asks the user which architectures to install.
    They don't care about either one--they care about sales.

    Nevertheless, for more than a decade, they have treated me
    far better than Microsoft has ever done.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Change is inevitable. We need to learn that "inevitable" is
    neither a synonym for "good" nor for "bad."
    -- WWG

    Wes Groleau, Feb 27, 2009
  5. Warren Oates

    CatStephan Guest

    Stupid question. I did stick to iTunes 6.0.5 on my iMac G3 which still
    runs fine w/ Tiger and all other updates. When iTunes came with Cover
    Flow it became very slow so I ignored updates. Like the OP said: stick
    with the original software that came with your Mac and keep your system
    as lean and mean as possible.
    You know, with all this new "bling" and "bloat" software precious hard
    disk real estate it taken up. All these 20 Kb meta data files that the
    new Mac software produce take up 1 Mb blocks of space, which is a waste.
    And your hard disk becomes a ginormous Swiss Cheese. Ever tried to
    securely remove an iPhoto Library? Thousands of files you never knew
    existed are deleted (taking a long time too). Also, I think Apple should
    give users the option to remove printer files you don't need on a
    pre-installed system. They take up several Gb of space you never need
    (removing them yourself can lead to problems). So, IMO, the OS and
    software should be as efficient and as lean as possible.
    SK.

    CatStephan, Feb 27, 2009
  6. Your bling and bloat is someone else's "That helps me; I'm glad they
    added it."

    -- Michelle

    Michelle Steiner, Feb 27, 2009
  7. Warren Oates

    Daniel Cohen Guest

    Yes, that is what I meant. I don't know that I would send a feature
    request about a fully released application, but I certainly would about
    a beta.

    Daniel Cohen, Feb 27, 2009
  8. Why not send one about a fully released application? After all, the
    software company will probably be producing a new version in due order.

    Michelle Steiner, Feb 27, 2009
  9. Warren Oates

    Heli Guest

    Thanks. Finally someone who has real knowledge about how things work.
    The fact that the new update will change more files than ever is reason
    enough to be careful. I hope it will put right more bugs than it makes.

    Heli, Feb 27, 2009
  10. Warren Oates

    Heli Guest

    I admitted no such thing. I installed it to see what it would do.

    It is now perfectly obvious that you are a troll.[/QUOTE]

    Well, you don't know a thing about computers. You sound like one of
    those computer sellers, who'd never tell you about possible problems to
    solve. You don't see things from the customers' side, and you never
    admit you're wrong. You are the troll.
    Nobody ever learns anything from you.

    Heli, Feb 27, 2009
  11. Warren Oates

    Heli Guest

    This is all theory. Practice is that with each major update some users
    are left with trouble. One example is iWeb3, which seems to have
    ditched some code so that now fonts are rendered useless, the rss feed
    is faulty, in short iWeb3 has become useless. It has some useful
    additions like widgets, but when people can't get it working properly
    with blogs, comments and podcasts, it simply means the end of iWeb for
    many of us. It is as simple as that.
    If each time you add a post, you have to check whether the rss feed has
    the correct images, and each time you have to put them right, then
    whatever bling you add will not be able to improve the overall
    performance.
    It's junk.

    Heli, Feb 27, 2009
  12. Warren Oates

    Heli Guest

    Firefox is still the best browser. If we allow S4 greater speed, then
    that is fine, but it is not my priority. This is not a race contest. I
    want user friendliness, dependability, no bling.
    In S4 it's especially the Apple sites that load very slowly. Have you
    checked how fast it is with security settings, no allowing of
    third-party cookies? You will see S4 slows down very much.
    Have you looked at S4 with the Develop menu? Seen how many mistakes
    there are in the Apple sites?
    Apple is adding bling and flashy thingies, but it is not better in
    practical use. That is why I prefer Firefox.
    Top Sites is ridiculous when you already have a menu bar with all your
    favourites. The menu bar is much easier and quicker, though it doesn't
    look so flashy.
    No, S4 is again for the Apple groupies who'd buy anything with an Apple
    logo on. Fortunately this one is free.
    Of course no one will dare to tell the result here of their speed with
    all bells and whistles on, because the speed of S4 will be a lot less
    than advertised. The previous speed increase was a hoax as well.
    Removing the loading bar was very clever too.

    Heli, Feb 27, 2009
  13. Warren Oates

    Heli Guest

    For the simple reason that this group is for messages like that. This
    is not a groupie group, though it very much looks like it.
    In a free world people should have the right to say that Safari 4 is
    more bling than anything else.
    Just admit that most people won't even use the Top Sites. It's fancy
    fair. It's for the amateur, the silly people. How many people use the
    cover flow in iTunes? It's there for bling, to impress someone when you
    show them your new iMac. When they are gone you set it back to list
    view or something. That is reality.

    Heli, Feb 27, 2009
  14. Warren Oates

    Heli Guest

    Thanks, SK. This is precisely the point. Bling slows down your mac. So
    if they want to improve speed they should stop adding bling that is
    using up time, space and processor use.
    Some Apple groupies have turned into real trolls, who don't allow any
    reasonable discussion of the pros and cons. They just swallow
    everything that is pushed down their throats.
    A computer is there to provide secure, smooth working.
    And apps some parts of which are practically useless or unsafe, like
    blogs, podcasts and comments in iWeb3 are a shame for Apple.
    The fact that the whole nation is now installing the S4 tweaks proves
    that Apple went a bridge too far.

    Heli, Feb 27, 2009
  15. Warren Oates

    Heli Guest

    You'd be glad if they turned OS X into a windows system.

    Heli, Feb 27, 2009
  16. Warren Oates

    CatStephan Guest

    Also note that Safari 4 beta won't install on the current 10.5.7 build...
    http://www.macrumors.com/2009/02/26/apple-prepping-os-x-10-5-7-update/
    SK.

    CatStephan, Feb 27, 2009
  17. Warren Oates

    Heli Guest

    That has me wondering what is happening at Apple's.
    People also confuse the speed of loading a particular page with speed
    of use. Many pages load slower in Safari4, in particular Apple pages,
    some pages don't load at all.
    The forum discussions on S4 show that for some people S4 is causing
    serious trouble. Even reverting to S3 will not solve their problem.
    This may have to do with the changed systemframeworks which remain
    changed even after reinstalling the old app.
    It also seems that Wacom tablets don't work properly with the new tabs.
    But then again there are people who claim that you shouldn't use
    tablets for browsing.

    All those people always shouting 'OOH, great' and 'AAH, wonderful' with
    every update are not helpful at all, on the contrary, if Apple listens
    to them the system will slowly deteriorate and give up efficiency for
    bling.
    I for one think that the speed increase in S4 is cosmetic and has
    nothing to do with the real speed of using the Safari browser. But
    let's assume it is faster, what matters is the usefulness of the
    browser and its integration with other things.
    And I don't like the idea that Apple with each update is messing around
    with the systemframeworks. At least they should give us more
    information about what is being changed and why.

    Heli, Feb 27, 2009
  18. Warren Oates

    M-M Guest

    Right.

    Example- I installed the Safari Tweaks menu and turned off "Tabs on
    Top". I then replaced the original Menu.nib but the tqbs stayed on the
    bottom. I uninstalled the program and then reinstalled it. Still no tabs
    on top.

    I had to reinstall the tweaks menu and check off "Tabs on Top" again to
    get the original S4 back.

    M-M, Feb 27, 2009
  19. Warren Oates

    VAXman- Guest

    Can you render ACID3?

    Today's commodities market: Snake Oil: $787B/bbl

    VAXman- , Feb 27, 2009
  20. Warren Oates

    VAXman- Guest

    Hmm. I wonder why mine insists on crashing Safari after 69.

    Today's commodities market: Snake Oil: $787B/bbl

    VAXman- , Feb 27, 2009