    I have done, and I'm prone to the odd whinge. I reported that thing
    about Quick Look and the arrow keys, which I think is important for us
    keyboard-oriented types.

    Warren Oates, Feb 27, 2009

  2. Warren Oates

    Warren Oates Guest

    Umm. I wouldn't do that with a beta download, even from Saint Apple.

    Warren Oates, Feb 27, 2009

  3. Warren Oates

    Warren Oates Guest

    Compare with rsync which is absolutely free and has superb support.
    Hell, compare with ditto and asr, which are free.

    There's a level at which I think that the GUI is bling-bling ...

    Warren Oates, Feb 27, 2009
  4. Warren Oates

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    The upside is that the Top Sites could be arranged to my liking.

    The downside is that if I close Safari and later open it some of the sites in
    Top Sites are no longer there and some of the "pinned" sites have been moved
    to new locations.

    TaliesinSoft, Feb 27, 2009
  5. For some, yes. Others may want nothing but cool shiny stuff. Others may
    want both. Still others........
    Shame on the World, then!
    Nothing of the sort.

    John McWilliams, Feb 27, 2009
  6. Heh. Michelle is one of the most consistently helpful and knowledgeable
    folk around here.

    John McWilliams, Feb 27, 2009
  7. Warren Oates

    Doc O'Leary Guest

    Apple *cannot* solve your "LAST MB" problem because Apple never ships a
    system that only has 1MB available. The only way to get into your
    situation is to spend time loading stuff, and the only way to get out of
    it is to spend time micro-managing disk space. I don't know how much
    you make an hour, but it's got to be pretty damn low if the value
    proposition exists for squeezing a HD down to the last MB. I think it
    is you who is ignoring the real costs involved.
    Not nearly as much as you seem to think it is. It may even represent a
    net cost in time. Whenever resources are low such that you have to make
    a special effort to manage them, that's time you're not spending on a
    more profitable endeavor. Being cheap doesn't always save you money;
    every Mac owner should already understand that.
    No, I don't take that into account because I don't know it to be true to
    any significant extent. They might be able to easily halve the disk
    usage by eliminating PPC code, but it'd take a lot more work to halve
    the RAM usage of the Intel code that's already necessarily there. Even
    if they managed significant savings, it still isn't much of a bullet
    point. Saving $1 of HD or $20 of RAM just isn't going to sell a $128 OS.

    Doc O'Leary, Feb 27, 2009
  8. Michelle Steiner, Feb 27, 2009
  9. My dozen years as a software quality assurance test engineer says
    otherwise.

    You, on the other hand, have proven with your remarks on this newsgroup,
    that you don't know a thing about software development.
    My job as an SQA test engineer was to see things from the customers'
    side, and I was damn good at that job.
    Pot, kettle, black.
    Only those who refuse to learn don't learn.

    Michelle Steiner, Feb 27, 2009
  10. *blush* Thank ye, kind sir.

    Michelle Steiner, Feb 27, 2009
  11. No one is denying you that right. But we have an equal right to tell
    you that you're full of shit. You appear to want to deny us that right.
    Some people, for sure, and I'm one of them. Most people, though, is
    debatable, and unprovable, at least at this time.

    By your reasoning, Apple should not have included the Terminal or
    Console applications because most people don't, and probably will never,
    use them.

    Apple has many more customers than just you; just because you don't like
    or want something doesn't mean that no one likes or wants it. In other
    words, "bling" is not defined as something that an anonymous whiner
    doesn't like.

    Michelle Steiner, Feb 27, 2009
  12. This discussion shows just the opposite. It appears that you are the
    one who objects to reasonable discussion; otherwise, you wouldn't be
    complaining about people who counter your specious arguments.
    That's not a fact.

    Michelle Steiner, Feb 27, 2009
  13. You are full of shit.

    Michelle Steiner, Feb 27, 2009
  14. Got any third-party plug ins?

    Michelle Steiner, Feb 27, 2009
  15. Umm. I wouldn't do that with a beta download, even from Saint Apple.[/QUOTE]

    I just tried it, for a simple browse of my transactions and a download
    of my recent transactions.

    No problem.

    Wells Fargo

    -- Michelle

    Michelle Steiner, Feb 27, 2009
  16. The problem is that it not only takes up space whether you want it or
    not, but always seems to come at the price of some simpler, more
    useful features.[/QUOTE]

    That applies to everything. Apple includes mail.app, but some people
    never use it. Apple includes QuickTime Player, but some people never
    use it. Heck, some people never use iPhoto or iTunes. I don't use
    Garage Band.

    -- Michelle

    Michelle Steiner, Feb 27, 2009
  17. The first part of her statement is certainly true, but what about the
    last part?[/QUOTE]

    Unprovable; the contrary is likewise unprovable. Well, her use of
    "always" makes it most probably false.

    I wonder whether she can provide any examples of a simpler, more useful,
    feature being left out because of the inclusion of another feature.

    Michelle Steiner, Feb 27, 2009
  18. Warren Oates

    Ian Gregory Guest

    I am pretty obsessive about keeping my system bang up to date and am
    never put off by reports of problems when running Software Upddate, but
    installing a beta version of one of my most important tools? No thanks.

    So I am slightly surprised by how many people are running Safari 4. I am
    not complaining of course, the more beta testers the fewer problems
    there will be when Safari 4 finally shows up in Software Update. Good on
    you.

    Ian

    Ian Gregory, Feb 27, 2009
  19. Don't forget that Safari 1 originally was released as a public beta.
    For that matter, so was Mac OS X.

    Keep in mind that public betas are released only after much internal and
    private beta testing.

    And although Safari is an important tool, it's not one that can easily
    (if at all) lead to loss of data as, say, a word processing or
    spreadsheet program can.

    And there's an uninstaller, so if you don't like it, you can easily
    revert.

    But that said, I'm happy to be testing for you.

    Michelle Steiner, Feb 27, 2009
  20. Warren Oates

    VAXman- Guest

    None 3rd party. Strange that QT 7.6 shows twice though. Anyway, I
    disabled plug-ins and the ACID3 test passes.

    I'm going to have to start looking at the list of plug-ins.

    Today's commodities market: Snake Oil: $787B/bbl

    VAXman- , Feb 27, 2009