    using Prime95 the temp goes to 95c. How much heat can a cpu take?

    thanks

    john

    coltrane, May 14, 2010

  2. coltrane

    Paul Guest

    It's self protecting. It'll start to throttle if it gets too hot.
    Processors are pretty well armored against overheat now. And above
    the throttle temperature, the computer will shut off at a slightly
    higher temperature. So if throttling won't control the temperature,
    THERMTRIP will shut it off completely.

    The "throttling" bit can be monitored. You can actually tell when
    it is throttling and you're losing performance. The program "RMClock"
    can be used, as shown here.

    http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/cpu/intel-thermal-features-core2.html

    If it isn't throttling, it is purely a judgment call, as to how
    much cooler than that it should be. I'd probably buy enough
    of a cooler, to hit 65C under load, but I don't know how big a cooler
    it takes with the processor you're using.

    A lot of people use an after market cooler, because the fasteners are
    so poor on the retail cooler. My aftermarket cooler uses bolts and
    nuts, and isn't going to fall off any time soon.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16835242001

    http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-030850.htm

    Paul

    Paul, May 14, 2010